back to article Huawei wins patent injunction against Samsung in China

The Shenzhen Intermediate court has upheld an injunction against Samsung sought by Huawei in an intellectual property dispute. Huawei had originally dinged Samsung for patent infringement, but the Korean giant successfully argued that the IP was a Standard Essential Patent (SEP), and the dispute should therefore be resolved …

1. Snorlax Silver badge

Chinese courts are capable of making reasonable decisions

Not being snarky or anything, but how do foreign companies fare in Chinese courts when trying to enforce their IP? From my purely subjective view it would appear to be an uphill battle for an outsider, where IP is enforced for the State's benefit rather than anything else...

"Firstly, Chinese companies no longer simply copy, but increasingly develop their own IP.

Yeah, but there's still a huuuuuuuuuge amount of blatant copying/homage going on in the tech and automobile industry... Have a look on aliexpress/gearbest/etc

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Chinese courts are capable of making reasonable decisions

Better than foreign firms fare in S. Korea again Samsung

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Chinese courts are capable of making reasonable decisions

"how do foreign companies fare in Chinese courts when trying to enforce their IP?"

Thanks. here ya go! Have a beer!

2. Tigra 07
    Coat

I can just see their sign now...

Bird & Bird

"Because the Bird is the word"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can just see their sign now...

They'd have no need to put it on their sign.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Firstly, Chinese companies no longer simply copy, but increasingly develop their own IP."

So all those fake Rolexes and Louis Vitton handbags are knocked up by backstreet factories in Detroit then ?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

No Detroit is where they used to make cars without paying Dr Benz using steel made without paying Mr Bessemer

4. Joe Gurman

Knock me over with a feather

Samsung infringing someone else's IP? Never would have suspected it.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Knock me over with a feather

Yea. Samsung would never have been able to develop rounded corners by themselves. Not in a million years.

1. AmyInNH

Re: Knock me over with a feather

A significant set of patents joint owned by Google/Microsoft/Apple where bought, long after they built products using and selling the tech with no payment to the patents' owners/inventors, following their abbreviated ethics, "Do unto others.", also known as Do As I Say, Not As I Do.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Shenzhen court upheld injunction against Samsung

"The Shenzhen Intermediate court has upheld an injunction against Samsung sought by Huawei in an intellectual property dispute." ref

"Huawei was smacked for industrial espionage in the case of T-Mobile's Tappy Robot last year" in the 'United Stated District of Washington at Seattle' ref.

The lesson being that the Courts will always rule in favor of the home team. Of course this whole FRAND issue is a scam designed to deny entry into the market, which usually ends up as a duopoly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China stole enough IP to rise to the top

China twisted the arms of and stole from all major railway manufacturers to develop its world-class high-speed railway, which it now sells around the world. All other technology has a similar story. That's one heck of a start.

1. Tom 38
      Headmaster

Re: China stole enough IP to rise to the top

s/China/USA/

Its basically the most hypocritical thing a nation can do, steal IP rampantly whilst they are a developing nation turning from agriculture to industry, and then pull the bridge up behind them and say "Hey, stop stealing our stuff! How DARE YOU use our IP!"

1. AmyInNH

Re: China stole enough IP to rise to the top

Not even close.

The most hypocritical thing a nation can do is claim to be democracy (while clearly having no effective representation in governance) and claim to be "spreading democracy and human rights" while dismantling it far and wide by attacking democracies and dismembering them.

7. JcRabbit

Wait... did I read this right? China taking another company to court over patent infringement?! LOL

Perhaps they should start by cleaning their own house instead.

1. AmyInNH

They're playing the same game the West inflicted on them. Patenting is an idea whose time has come and gone.

8. JaitcH
    FAIL

Too Many People Think The Chinese Still Stand Knee-High In Water Wearing Funny Hats

Only those Foreigners who have had the opportunity to actually visit Chinese manufacturing facilities realise that the days in the rice paddies are over. Sure many of the plants are not the most impressive but, as with Chinese restaurants, who cares about the decor?

They have technology malls, much along the lines of the retail malls in the West, except that the small cubicles are filled with very, very, skilled technicians where iPhone memory chips can be removed, à la FBI, except in ShenZhen the skilled workers fit a memory chip with expanded capacity.

China made the first tablets before Jobs copied them (I bought a few at the time).

As for stealing IP, sure they knock off DVDs, etc., but a lot of Western IP is transferred because the greedy financial pigs in the West want to max out profits and without the transfers their products could not be manufactured at crippling low prices. So where is the theft?

Whilst China, the DPRK and Russia spy on the West, who would ever claim the West has clean hands?

HuaWei, ZTE, TP-Link design and make very fine products and even the UK government accepts that HuaWei products are clean. And where do you think all these 'trusted' US manufacturers are going to get their 5G products made?

And if US technology so great, and technicians so skilled, how come anyone - including an unwashed 400 pound character in his bedroom (described by Trump) - can crack their systems?

Because they have better skills than Americans.

P.S. I am Canadian and hold UK and US passports.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like