back to article Ex-ZX Spectrum reboot man threatens sueball over unpaid invoices

Yet more financial claims are piling up against failing ZX Spectrum Vega Plus firm Retro Computers Ltd, with the company's former web fixer threatening to sue over allegedly unpaid invoices. One-time contractor Lee Fogarty, who performed a range of roles including web dev and organiser of product testing, has told The Register …

1. Oh Homer
    Childcatcher

Sir Clive, where art thou?

Do something, mate!

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Sir Clive, where art thou?

A knight coming to the rescue atop his trusty white steed C5.

1. Dabooka

Re: Sir Clive, where art thou?

A Knight [Lore] coming to the rescue atop his trusty white steed C5.

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Dabooka

FTFY

Don't Alien-8 people by correcting their comments

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hentai for Business

The reference to his "corporate tentacle" is somewhat creepy.

That said, "Clive Sinclair's Corporate Tentacle" still sounds like a good name for a band. (#) Especially one that includes Clive Sinclair himself.

(#) No, it doesn't. It sounds like one of those names that people *say* would be a good name for a band, which is something different altogether...

1. Spartacus Mills

Re: Hentai for Business

it sounds like a speccy game...

1. Oh Homer
          Pint

Re: "sounds like a speccy game"

Well, there's always "Day of the Tentacle", although that was actually an MS-DOS game (now ported to many other platforms, including current-gen consoles and Linux).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

28^ 103 Days Later

Sinclair will be here to rescue you all in 28 days time!*

* For definitions of "28 days" that extend to several months, that is, because they haven't even finished debugging the design, let alone manufactured it!

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"He received £14,000 from RCL and we have nothing useful to show for it."

And you received over £500,000 from crowd sourcing and you've nothing useful to show for that either.

1. Mark 85

Well, since crap runs downhill, they'll blame all their woes and failed delivery on him.....

2. asdf

Just going for that authentic Sinclair vaporware feel.

3. Lee D Silver badge

To be honest, looking online, they all look to be a complete bunch of children bitching about each other.

You know what, just take it to court already and get it over and done with. If you owe him, you'll have to pay him. If you don't, you won't. Either way those people who basically funded your company (I'm certainly not one of them - I don't do business in this manner, even on a personal level) still don't see the devices promised.

It's getting boring now, guys. Maybe when there's a story about someone who ISN'T owed money by this sham-show, it'll be worthy of a news article.

4. Overflowing Stack

Sharks with lasers

I think they need to bring in the sharks fitted out with the finest laser attire to this one!

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Yeah, cheers Retro Computers Ltd

For taking part of my childhood and wiping your collective arses with it.

Can't you all go forth and multiply now? People might even crowdfund you another £500,000 if you promise never to make another public statement again and never to co-opt part of computing history and sully it with your nonsense again, which is more than you've achieved with the £500,000 you've pissed against the wall.

1. Sven Coenye
      Alert

Re: Yeah, cheers Retro Computers Ltd

"Can't you all go forth and multiply now? "

Eh, no way. That's the last thing you want 'em to do!

6. Spartacus Mills

throw them all on the dungeon...

...and lock away the key.

1. }{amis}{
      Go

Re: throw them all on the dungeon...

Thats the attraction of a good oubliette just a hole in the ground no keys to be found...

7. SeanR

why dies it say "Since a bitter falling-out between RCL's directors last year" when the falling out was in 2016, before the vega+ indiegogo campaign finished, and occured because one of the directors recommended not taking a salary until the device was delivered?

8. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Article dated 23 March 2018:

accounts are nearly three months late, having been due on 31 January 2018

Tad early there Gareth.

Mind you, having been over 6 months late last year you think they'd get their house in order. Oh wait, Retro Computers Ltd, as you were.

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
      FAIL

Re: Article dated 23 March 2018:

Given you get 9 months to deliver the accounts in the first place, there really shouldn't any excuse for being late at all.

It's not like delivering accounts is inventing or developing something, it is a simple reporting of facts that happened. (#CreativeAccounting)

9. Alistair
    Joke

I forsee

a Black Mirror episode about this whole fiasco. It may perhaps include a pig.

10. adam payne

RCL it's way past time for you to give it up. Refund people and call it a day.

1. }{amis}{
      Unhappy

No Refunds...

The odds that their is any of that £500K left at this point is slim.

I bet the reason they don't want to publish the accounts is that they don't want the backers (victims of fraud) to know how much they have blown in lawyers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS, all this over an emulator running on some generic ARM system...!

All this fuss over something that was only ever going to be a Spectrum emulator running on some arbitrary low-powered hardware anyway!

In other words, nothing you couldn't already do on countless pre-existing systems, the only benefit being that this one was ready-to-go, "official" and came in a Sinclair-branded case. (#) That's all.

Said it before, but surely there must be companies in China already offering ready-to-manufacture low-powered handheld designs based on smartphone technology running Linux or Android they'd be happy to lightly customise to spec without the setup cost and hassle. (£513,000 sounds like a lot of money, but in the scheme of things, it's peanuts, and easily frittered away).

Yeah, they were going to manufacture it in the UK, which I'm sure was well-intended, if they'd planned it out. Except that they apparently didn't, and at this stage I don't think anyone expects anything to ever come out of this debacle beyond more squabbling.

(#) Even *that*- while nice enough- didn't appear to have much connection with the original beyond the rainbow flash and Sinclair logo. (###) It's designed by Rick Dickinson, who was behind most (all?) pre-Amstrad Sinclair cases. Decent, but not enough like the original to warrant the cost and financial risk of tooling for a custom case. (##)

(I don't know much about case manufacturing, but I do know that design and tooling setup costs are generally quite high until mass production renders their per-unit cost marginal.)

(##) His designs for the proposed (and far more interesting sounding) 'Spectrum Next' case are more promising. (The Spectrum Next is being run by a completely different bunch, and is supposed to be a true hardware emulation and enhancement of the original).

(###) Unlike the original Vega's bizarro button-deficient take on the original Spectrum case.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: FFS, all this over an emulator running on some generic ARM system...!

That alone makes this all the more strange.

I've been working on building an ARM (RPi 3) based device that emulates an even older computer. The kit even comes with a case, close to 100 diodes (for the front panel), circuit boards and all the front panel switches. This is all put together by someone in their spare time. No need to Loadsa crowdfunding here.

http://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-8

This makes IMHO the Sinclair thing even more of a scam. IT might not be but at the moment thats the way it seems to me.

12. Cynic_999

£50K tops

Having single-handedly designed many commercial products of similar complexity, a full-blown enhanced Spectrum emulator (including LCD screen & network interface) would probably take me 6 to 9 months to first commercial prototype (Schematic, PCB layout, case/keyboard design, firmware development), and cost about £40K (including my modest income during the development period.) Say £50K tops. Then another 3-6 months and about £150k for tooling, jigging and test fixture costs + a first mass-production run, which will hopefully be recovered in a few months by the sales of the products of that first run. Excludes marketing costs.

13. AlexS

All they need is some blu tack and the wobble will go away.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

My Vega+ is fucked isn't it? You can break it to me. I can take it.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

You're only finding this out now?? Have you been living under a hard stony object?

15. FuzzyWuzzys
    Happy

Ah, it's Imagine Software all over again!

Anyone remember that dire documentary that detailed the downfall of Imagine Software? Welcome to the 21st Century "reboot"!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would you like some additional comedy for this one?

Go to the Companies House Database ( https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/ ) and play connect the directors by searching for "Erotic Chatbots Limited"

You can thank me later :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon