back to article Zucker for history: What I learnt about Facebook 600 years ago

Sudden infant wails finally brightened the delivery room late that night, a relief to everyone, not least the mother. After a quick wipe-down and weigh, the baby was swaddled and handed back to the parents to be comforted. I leant across the bed towards the crying baby, put on my best Yorkshire accent and whispered into her …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good article

That's it.

Dabbs notes in passing that the printing press facilitated the rise of Protestantism. Up to the reader to decide whether that's a positive or negative.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Good article

facilitated the rise of Protestantism

In it's original sense of "Protest" against the establishment, that is. I wouldn't try to draw any modern religious conclusions from that.

1. Teiwaz

In it's original sense of "Protest" against the establishment, that is. I wouldn't try to draw any modern religious conclusions from that.

Modern form tends to come in two forms, the puritan evangelical brand and the mostly relapsed live and let live form.

The Evangelicals still protest, mainly at anything that might be fun for anyone else.

2. John G Imrie

Well it did in Europe. English Protestantism started because Henry VIII wanted to get he leg over Anne Boleyn.

1. John Lilburne

"English Protestantism started because Henry VIII wanted to get he leg over Anne Boleyn."

Oh it started long before that with the Lollards, and we now know that H8 could have got his leg over Boleyn if he'd sent the Vatican a couple of cart loads of choirboys.

2. Teiwaz

Well it did in Europe. English Protestantism started because Henry VIII wanted to get he leg over Anne Boleyn.

That was just Englands version of Emperor Constantine - when it became politically expedient to embrace the new religion rather than continue prosecuting/persecuting it.

1. rmason

Sort of but not really.

It was literally because he wanted the power to grant divorces *himself* as opposed to having to ask the church nicely.

So, as was said, because he wanted to get his end away.

1. veti Silver badge

So, as was said, because he wanted to get his end away.

Nah. Henry was well aware of the distinction between sex and marriage, he didn't need to divorce or marry anyone to get his end away.

What he really wanted was a legitimate male heir, with the emphasis on "legitimate". (And hence, indirectly, also "male", since a female would always be of slightly suspect legitimacy - c.f. Mary and Elizabeth.)

It's easy to see people as motivated solely by selfishness and hedonism, but often there are excellent political reasons behind these stories. Henry VIII is one such.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

A "Daughter of Time" type question. History school books tell us that Henry VIII wanted a legitimate son and heir. But it's occurred to me, why? The heir would step up when Henry died, so Henry could have said "Not my problem, someone else can sort it out when it happens."

So... perhaps the male heir means that a hypothetical someone else who would consider assassinating Henry in order to be king, would not, because someone else was in the way too. Is that it?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well it did in Europe. English Protestantism started because Henry VIII wanted to get he leg over Anne Boleyn."

It didn't actually; Henry VIII considered himself a Catholic and continued to call himself "Fidei defensor". In his view it was the Pope who was wrong.

The real split from Rome came later.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

@Voyna i Mor: "Dabbs notes in passing that the printing press facilitated the rise of Protestantism. Up to the reader to decide whether that's a positive or negative."

The rot set in when the Romans suppressed the Druidic religion and replaced it with a reconstructed Hebrew death cult. The druids did actually sacrifice real people and not a symbolic representation in the form of a stale wafer.

2. Chazmon
    Coffee/keyboard

'Take a ride in his Mercedes'

You owe me a new keyboard

Having read the work recently this phrase goes some distance towards explaining the hundreds of pages of elaborate revenge which this lead to. For a more recent and easier to read work which uses this hacking principle (and others) check out Pratchett's 'Going Postal'.

1. Alister

Damn, you beat me too it, I was going to say it was used by pTerry in GP as well.

The way Moist inserts his "accusation from the ghosts" onto the clacks from Reacher Gilt is very similar.

1. Mage Silver badge

The Clacks

I was amazed how few people I know knew that PTerry got the idea of the Clacks from real life and merged it with early UNIX stuff. But I did write a history of communications in the mid 1980s.

2. macjules

I really can’t help but think that Dumas would have enjoyed Sir P’Terry enormously. Nightwatch in particular would have had him in stitches.

3. PPK
      Thumb Up

GNU

http://www.gnuterrypratchett.com/

He'll always be out there...

3. amolbk

Culture & Empire

Reminded me of Culture & Empire by Pieter Hintjens.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Attributed to Socrates, circa 400 bc

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Rings any bells?

1. Christoph

Re: Attributed to Socrates, circa 400 bc

Attributed to Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106 BC – 7 December 43 BC:

Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Attributed to Socrates, circa 400 bc

No, it's apparently a quote from a grouchy older character in a play, not something that Socrates actually said so 'attributed to' in the generally accepted sense is not correct.

In the same way that while Shakespeare wrote 'methinks the lady doth protest too much', he didn't actually say it and you wouldn't say 'attributed to'.

5. chivo243 Silver badge

Marshall McLuhan?

The medium is the massage?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Marshall McLuhan?

.. casual viewing, head buried in the sand?

(I'm sure there must be at least one other commentard can identify where that line comes from..)

1. Hugh Pumphrey

Re: Marshall McLuhan?

... There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes

smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes ...

(The Lamb lies down on Broadway, of course, about halfway through side 1)

6. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The cumulative effect of the official telegraph (which no one trusts) plus throwaway gossip (which everyone believes) is utterly convincing.

Wish that was the case. We now diligently believe the official telegraph. Or should we call it the Torygraph? The abridged version called "Daily Beobachter" - for sure (*).

(*)Not invoking Godwin's law 2.0. Nope. Tempted but nope. I am sure, someone else will.

1. BebopWeBop

I don't!

Although 15+ years ago, the Torygraph's website was a model for news papers (still somewhat biased but that could be corrected for) - how the mighty have tumbled, even if the Barclay brothers maintain their disgusting habits - not far to fall in their case.

2. Alistair Dabbs

We now diligently believe the official telegraph. Or should we call it the Torygraph?

It's easier to pretend otherwise but people tend not to believe everything they read, even in their favourite newspapers. They choose what they want to believe. Sun readers laugh at the silly stories in that paper but don't necessarily believe them all to be true.

You may remember when the Daily Mail ran a spread about the Marxist historian father of (then) Labour Party leader Ed Miliband with the headline "The man who hated Britain". It turned out that dedicated right-wing DM readers didn't agree with the story or approve of its logic, and they wrote in droves to the paper to object. No apology was given but the disgruntled editor was forced to back down and his plans to use story as a platform for continued character assassination of the Miliband clan simply evaporated.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It turned out that dedicated right-wing DM readers didn't agree with the story or approve of its logic, and they wrote in droves to the paper to object."

With the Mail readership it is not wise to question the patriotism of anyone who has served in the Armed Forces.

The funny thing is that my father was in the RN during and after WW2, and the wardroom of his last ship was indeed a hotbed of Marxism. At least one of his fellow officers was subsequently spied on by MI5. They all led blameless careers. And at well over 90, my father is still a bit Marxist.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You may remember when the Daily Mail ran a spread about the Marxist historian father of (then) Labour Party leader Ed Miliband with the headline "The man who hated Britain

I do. I also remember this spread (though I saw it abroad at the time): https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/6/26/1372251040906/phpLy4tFuAM.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=368d2e23441e684d51d9e1c4484af6c6

It is a common scenario when:

1. The powers that be "bend the truth a little bit". A bit of doctoring evidence here. A bit of erasing evidence there.

2. The newspapers vehemently support it.

The majority believes it. Sometimes for years. It takes people decades (and sometimes NEVER) to clear their names and the names of their loved ones.

Sure, it is usually not all of them, but the mainline ones definitely do participate in this. Some of them with glee. The Daily Pravda is a good example of that. So is Sun and friends.

It is by no means specific to Britain by the way. Happens everywhere. However, people coming from places which have broken away from a history of that generally presume ANY power that be to be lying. Anywhere we go. My standard assumption is that a government is lying. Any one. Of Any country. I believe the opposite only after evidence has been presented.

7. BebopWeBop
    Thumb Up

for the Dumas reference ----------------------->

although I might have hoped that such an erudite soul as Alistair might have mentioned Walsingham (Elizabethan spymaster) amongst others :-)

1. Mage Silver badge

Walsingham (Elizabethan spymaster)

The original boss of the original Police State. Read all the mail and cracked all the codes. mary lost her head of over that and some people also died mysteriously. Shakespeare was careful about Tudor related history and King stuff. A bit before Churchill decided to tap all the telegraph cables just before WWI. Churchill created forerunner of WWII Bletchley & later GCHQ.

8. Dan 55 Silver badge

So about that printing press

You still had to pay the printer to get published, he didn't offer to print it for free if you told him all about yourself, then later on you'd find out he'd sold all the juicy details on to other people while swearing to you that your secrets were safe with him if you ask him to keep them private.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So about that printing press

"You still had to pay the printer to get published"

Not quite true. If a printer happened to get hold of an interesting MS and decided to make some money from a print run, the author would get paid exactly as much as Zuckerberg pays contributors.

9. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

New addition to the Dabbsy household?

Congrats!

1. Alistair Dabbs

25 years ago.

1. Alistair
        Joke

@Dabbsy:

Oh good, so its almost out of the nest then?

1. Zimmer

Probably on it's way back to the nest..!!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Probably on it's way back to the nest..!!

may be she's still got that crap powerbank he gave her as a Christmas present...

"There it was, still in its box, unopened and still cradled in Christmas wrapping paper: the crap powerbank I'd give her."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/03/those_it_gadget_freebies_youve_been_collecting_they_make_awful_christmas_presents/

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

""25 years ago"

No wonder you look so old in your photo! It explains the hair :-p

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Cigars?

25 years ago.

Just as well - otherwise I was going ask how you are going to distribute cigars to the commentards

10. Potemkine! Silver badge

It was better before!

"Every generation always thinks it was better before, and I think people have been saying this for probably thousands of years."

I see a difference between the Berg's. Gutenberg invented the medium but did not use the data for his own profit, when Zuckerberg did all the opposite.

one of the men who had him unjustly imprisoned before he had an opportunity to take a ride in his Mercedes.

What a brilliant pun. I'm amazed of the deep knowledge of French culture Mr. Dabbs has.

1. Rich 11

Re: It was better before!

I'm amazed of the deep knowledge of French culture Mr. Dabbs has.

He always knew that hanging on to those French letters would serve him well.

11. Dabooka

Really enjoyed that one Dabbsy

Although I'm of the age now where I'm simultaneously considered too young by many I work with and too old by others, I despair at the attitudes of both camps to each other. Being in the sweet spot does afford me the benefit of seeing things all ways though, so not all bad

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: sweet spot

Please tell me that's 50s...

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: sweet spot

"Please tell me that's 50s..."

Well, they say that 50 is the new 30, so technically no.

2. Mark 85

Re: Really enjoyed that one Dabbsy

Indeed you are in the middle of the age wars: "Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance." Give yourself a few more years to learn the craft and kids won't stand a chance.

12. Steve Button Silver badge

Perhaps I should read something else?

As I found myself agreeing with you most of the way through.

Isn't that confirmation bias?

I might try the Daily Mail, to get a more balanced view. ;-P

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Perhaps I should read something else?

Hopefully , if society gets a grip on this whole new fake news / data mining / information culture / age of communication / brainwashing / hate spreading / election biasing / internet thing ......

The Daily Mail will be the first against the wall.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Getting a grip on the fake news thing means both sides use it equally and ban education because neither side wants anyone capable of critical thinking.

1. Alistair
          Windows

@Floke:

They don't want to *ban* education. They just want to ban *logical reasoning*, since that is what takes basic education to the level at which folks can *develop* critical thinking.

2. Alistair
        Windows

@Prst. V.Jeltz:

The Daily Mail lawyers will be the first against the wall.

Sorry, *had* to fix that for you.....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like