back to article Salesforce courts the great un-CRMed with 'Essentials'

Salesforce has flicked the On switch for two new apps in its "Essentials" range, the cut-down and cut-price version of its SaaS platform launched last November. At launch, Salesforce offered only Sales Cloud Lightning, its CRM and marketing automation tool as an "Essential". Now the company has added Sales Cloud Essentials …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a user of Salesfarce

AllI can say is that anyone using it will be sorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh yes, please, let's just forget about privacy laws

It may be worth examining what the GDPR will do to outfits like Salesforce and, more importantly, to the European companies making the mistake of using them. Could get rather interesting.

(ditto for Microsoft's efforts to take some of that market, btw).

3. Nonymous Crowd Nerd

On- ramp?

Really? Is "on-ramping" a thing?

About twenty years back I used to occasionally on-ramp my car before slithering underneath to access various oily and muddy components. The oil and mud then formed a fun shower that spread over my clothes, body and hair. Great. Thought I'd seen the end of on-ramping to be honest but now you're introducing it as a computery thing.

Not sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On- ramp?

What else are we going to call lying under a desk arranging cables so the planned occupier doesn't disconnect them with every kick? It's still the same, minus the oil. Dust and dirt is still very much part of it for some, though :)

4. JohnHMorris

Barebones CRM?

SaaS CRM when you get everything you need ends up usually as very expensive. The challenge is that the CRM semantics needed by SMB are often just as rich as those of bigger firms.

Compare to accounting. Exactly what features of accounting are unneccessary for SMB accounting? Sure there are a few, say Treasury-related, but SMB accounting works better with full features.

Same with CRM. The "basics" or "essentials" model is not long-term viable and will only work as short-term education. SMB is better served by stepping up on taking responsibility on an essential infrastructure. There's no free lunch. And big CRM interests are not really aligned with yours.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm about to test another platform

I've tried SuiteCRM at an ISP who hosts on BSD and it sucked badly, so to rule out any issues with the OS I've just got myself a Linux vhost and I'm going to try again. I hope I get this to work as test, because that will free budget to do it for real, and then all these outfits can kiss our collective behind*.

* We can't host it at SuiteCRM itself due to some excessive nervousness in our legal team re. Brexit (we're not in the UK), so we'll have to do it ourselves. Sigh.

1. Eek

Re: I'm about to test another platform

What you will find is the amount of money you save in purchasing a solution will instead by spent trying to get it to work and supporting it.

While I don't like Salesforce (and have a bias towards Dynamics 365) you do often get what you pay for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like