back to article Broadcom's buyout of Qualcomm bogs down as DC blocks merger

The White House crushed Broadcom's bid for Qualcomm, declaring the deal cannot go due to national security concerns. An executive order, handed down by the Trump administration on Monday, says that at the urging of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, the President has decided to prohibit the deal and to …

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

DC blocks merger

Maybe they should get Marvel in the mix? (or did I mean to write "Marvell"?)

2. Phil Kingston

So is this decision less about blocking Broadcom or more about setting up a nice opportunity for Intel to swoop in?

1. Mark 85

Add a third choice: Politics and the best politicians money can buy.

This decisions smells like some back room political deal especially after Trump's previous statements. And then there's Broadcom's "planning" to move headquarters to the States. That bit raised some eyebrows I bet.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

No hidden agenda: the DoD was never going to let Qualcomm be bought. Expect Broadcom to come up with another scheme to keep the money guys happy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. DavCrav

So will Broadcom move to the US now? Don't see much reason to.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>So will Broadcom move to the US now? Don't see much reason to.

In fact I see good reason to pull the plug on the move...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> So will Broadcom move to the US now

They are required to move to the US, as this was one of the conditions for the approval of Broadcom's Brocade acquisition.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Funny...

Funny how many of Trumps recent actions have been in the name of "national security". I think maybe he only recently discovered that loop-hole and now realises he can apply it to anything where he needs to override the normal processes.

Having said that,merging two of the biggest competitors in an industry is rarely a good thing. Competition gets stifled, new entrants have an even bigger bar to entry and customers end up paying more for less.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like