back to article Violent, powerful wind that lasts 100s of years. Yes, it's Jupiter, not you after a Friday night curry

The stripy bands on Jupiter are made from roaring winds that penetrate deep below its surface and circle round the entire planet. An international team of physicists studied the gas giant’s atmosphere by measuring its gravity field using using radio waves emitted by NASA’s Juno spacecraft during close flybys. Their results …

1. UKLooney

"It’s still unclear if Jupiter has a solid core at its center or is just one giant gaseous orb."

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go for "C", a molten core.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go for "C", a molten core.

"Gaseous" in this context is to be read as a supercritical fluid so the distinction between gas and liquid is not relevant.

On the other hand if there is any rocky component to the planet (it would appear inevitable in my view considering how much it must have swallowed up) the core must be solid. Even Earth's inner core is solid on account of the huge pressures involved and those inside Jupiter are far, far higher.

1. Long John Brass
        Paris Hilton

the huge pressures involved

I've seen one argument that this may not be the case! The argument goes that as the sun sparked up the lighter material was blown further out in the solar system, leaving the heavier stuff closer in.

This suggest even if there is iron in Jovian core there may not actually be much of it!

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: the huge pressures involved

"The argument goes that as the sun sparked up the lighter material was blown further out in the solar system, leaving the heavier stuff closer in."

That argument assumes Jupiter formed where it is now - which is unlikely.

It also assumes planetforming didn't really get going until after the sun lit up, which is also unlikely.

Yes, when the sun fired up it blew the light gasses out - pretty much to the Oort cloud.

Iron is one of the most plentiful elements in the universe thanks to its position in the fusion table as the star destroyer. I'd be surprised if any planetesimal didn't have substantial proportions of the stuff and even the gas giants started out as rocky worlds before they grew big enough to start being gas brooms.

1. Long John Brass
            Paris Hilton

That argument assumes Jupiter formed where it is now - which is unlikely.

I thought most hot Jupiters migrate to the inner star system from further out?

Not a astrophysicist but I play one on the internet :)

1. cray74

I thought most hot Jupiters migrate to the inner star system from further out?

Modern variations of the "Nice Model" include "Jumping Jupiter," which posits the solar system started in a denser configuration but after about 500 million years (the time of the Late Heavy Bombardment), movement of Neptune and Uranus (and potentially a 5th gas giant) adjusted Jupiter's and Saturn's orbits. Hilarity ensued as Jupiter and Saturn entered a resonance and drove the gas giants outwards. Debris in a much-denser proto-Kuiper Belt is the source of momentum to adjust planetary orbits.

Basic Nice Model

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At Jupiter's core pressure, hydrogen is a solid too, a metal in fact.

2. Dazed and Confused

violent wind that lasts for years

Yeah, I have wind like that too sometimes.

1. VikiAi
      Mushroom

Re: violent wind that lasts for years

That's IBS for you!

1. horse of a different color

Re: violent wind that lasts for years

Not so much irritable, more like furious bowel syndrome, mate!

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

All inferred from how you have to retune the radio to keep receiving the signal over time.

Sounds trivial.

Isn't.

Truly an astonishing piece of discovery (or "data mining" if you prefer), along with the discovery of multiple vortexes (of different numbers) orbiting the poles.

4. John Mangan

Could do with a 'key' to terms.

There are various words here used in non-obvious meanings (for anyone not familiar with Jovian physics). surface appears to be the top of the atmosphere (although there is no surface), the atmosphere has a depth (even though the planet is supposed to almost entirely gaseous - and admittedly this partly covered by the information that the 'ball' below the atmosphere appears to rotate synchronously as though a solid object - although this isn't described as the surface. Confusing.

Tremendous work though and fascinating. All Jovian stories remind me of a book cover I saw as a child (Possibly 'Farmer in the Sky' by Heinlein) showing the view of Jupiter from one of its moons (Ganymede?) filling the sky. Borrowed from the library, I think, so no longer in my possession.

5. 0laf
    Boffin

Everyone knows that below the gas layer and below the oceans of metallic hydrogen lies a tiny core of the densest material known - a Trump-Jonson condensate.

Nonsense aside loving the science. Top boffinry

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jupiter’s gravity pulls on the spacecraft and shifts the wavelength of its radio signals by a small amount. The change in wavelength provides a way to indirectly calculate the planet’s gravity field and its atmospheric and interior flows.

The researchers found powerful wind belts that extend to a depth of about 3000 kilometers

Amazing what scientists can establish about an object billions of miles away.

The police on the other hand , cant catch a chav breaking into your greenhouse even if you give them HD cctv of the event.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Trollface

a chav breaking into your greenhouse

Didn't think chavs liked tomatoes...

1. onefang

"Didn't think chavs liked tomatoes..."

May have mistaken them for cannabis plants? Apparently they look similar, or so I've been told.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The police on the other hand , cant catch a chav breaking into your greenhouse even if you give them HD cctv of the event."

They also can't stop you posting that HD cctv to a few social media groups. The only way the chav in question can get it taken down is to be identified and there are DPA exemptions for recording of crime.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Violent Wind

Generally that sort of violent wind comes from

Uranus (my anus for sure) not Jupiter duh!

8. Andytug

Think it would be wonderful if Arthur C. Clarke was right

and the core was a giant diamond, solid carbon under enormous pressure and heat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Think it would be wonderful if Arthur C. Clarke was right

Just think, if that giant diamond was divided equally among all human beings, we'd all be quadrillionaires (or whatever) and everyone would be able to pull hot supermodels just by waving their diamond-encrusted iPhone XXX cases around!!! (Of course, we'd *all* be able to afford the iPhone XXX- price £43,000- because we'd be disgustingly rich.)

I keep getting all these economist types and 13-year-olds trying to say there's a problem with this reasoning, but they're idiots- anyone can see that if we all have more diamonds than Kim Kardashian, we'll be stinking rich!!!11

(Oh, and seriously, I know that even today diamonds aren't remotely as rare as De Beers would have you believe- nor would they be as "valuable" either if De Beers wasn't able to exploit its cartel position to restrict production.)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Think it would be wonderful if Arthur C. Clarke was right

"I know that even today diamonds aren't remotely as rare as De Beers would have you believe"

They're extremely common, but 99.99% of the ones mined are only fit for industrial abrasive use - and it's cheaper to manufacture that than mine it.

Apparently DB destroy 50-90% of the gem-quality diamonds found (depending on the size range). The cartel has been slightly broken by russian and canadian producers but de Beers executives are still facing arrest warrants in the USA.

9. unwarranted triumphalism

I'm glad to see they're not wasting their time on frivolities.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Examining the core

Massive Cosmic Ray Imaging device? Better idea than launching a crappy fucking car.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon