back to article Open source community crams itself into big tent

At the Open Source Leadership Summit in Sonoma, California, on Tuesday, members of the open source community gathered under a big tent. It was a tent with carpeting and chandeliers at a stylish wine country inn, but a tent nonetheless, and it served as a clear metaphor for the aspirations of the community: People from diverse …

1. Sam Adams the Dog

Umm....

It all sounds very tent-ative....

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Umm....

The tent lives there year 'round. Given our weather, it's an easy way to get around local building rules & regs. Note that we're not talking about scouts-in-the-woods, or even "off season wedding rent-a-tent" by any stretch. The place is built for comfort, and to last. The Inn is a rather spendy, but really nice destination if you want to be molly-coddled for a few days. The spa itself is one of the best in the world (or so I've been told by a couple friends who travel and write about such things for a living). The photo is of the "Pavillion Room", if anybody cares.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

I guess open source is pretty in-tents these days

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are just canvassing opinion

4. jake Silver badge

Anybody attending, reading this, and hungry?

Maya and the Sunflower Cafe on the Plaza have good eats. A trifle further afield, the Schellville Grill where Broadway Ts into 121 is awesome, if you can get in. The Vineberg Deli (East Eighth at Napa Road) is a locals joint for lunch. At the north end of 8th E., where it dead-ends into Napa Street is another place which I can't remember the name of at the moment, but it's a really good, quiet, out of the way place to get a bite and sample some of the local wine. Della Santina's (a couple doors East of Maya) is great for supper/dinner. Others may recommend The Red Grape and/or The Girl and the Fig, but I find them to be nothing to write home about.

Let your friends know that we haven't actually been razed to the ground by fire ... and above all, enjoy your stay!

5. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Was RMS there to complain that they weren't using the right licenses?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I wonder how many of the great and good at these dos write code themselves. I see Linus wasn't quoted.

1. jake Silver badge

Judging by the list on the website, none of 'em code. A few did, once. I don't know if any of that code is still in shipping product, though.

1. Jeremy Allison

Bollocks to you ! I'm there, I'm speaking and I code every day :-). I must admit I'm in the minority though.

I've been going round counting the number of laptops I can see actually running Linux. I've only gotten to 4 so far (and one of them is mine of course). Bit depressing really...

1. JLV

Curious: what were the others running?

8. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Unhappy

should've camped out at Haight/Ashbury

with the hippy overtones, they should've just camped out at Haigh/Ashbury (assuming there's a vacant lot there 50 years after the infamous 'love-ins' of the 60's).

I wonder why _I_ was not invited to this love-fest? I've got open source stuff, on github... so what's the big deal here? I contribute patches and testing for open source projects. So why was _I_ not invited?

I guess it's only for the 'hippy' side of open source.

Article didn't mention if Linus was there. I bet he wasn't. Linus was probably busy working on Linux, as usual.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: should've camped out at Haight/Ashbury

Nothing to do with us free-wheeling hippys, bob. This gig's all about pure capitalism. Nothing to do with coding, either, near as I can tell. Looks and smells like marketing. Lots of suits around Sonoma today ... Usually I go weeks without a suit sighting, other than in wedding parties.

You weren't invited because attendance was via self-selection.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you can have any color you want as long as it is black

Ummm.... and the *BSDs were represented there? Oh, of course not.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: you can have any color you want as long as it is black

Why would BSD be represented? The biggest clue is in name of the thing: "The Linux Foundation Open Source Leadership Summit". These people are willfully, stubbornly and professionally myopic. Many of them don't know that a kernel exists, much less how/when to compile one. The concept of making a choice of kernels is an anathema to them.

To get an idea of the mindset, "networking" means cocktails. But they need an app for that. Their Code of Conduct boils down to "yes-men^Wdroids only!" ... Suits, the lot of 'em.

1. Jeremy Allison

Re: you can have any color you want as long as it is black

Not true. There are several engineers here (including me). I had a chat yesterday with Paul McKenny (he of the RCU code in the Linux kernel). He showed me some amazing stuff to do with formal proofs around the Linux kernel memory barrier logic. We are in the minority though :-).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like