back to article Apple's new 'spaceship' HQ brings the pane for unobservant workers

Apple's $5bn Norman Foster-designed "spaceship" HQ isn't finished yet, but it's already taking out puny humans. Three calls reporting 911 medical emergencies were made about building-battered employees. The San Francisco Chronicle put in a FoI request to Santa Clara County and obtained the chilling details. One employee was …

Page:

1. Alister

Well it's obvious

Apple employees don't know how to use Windows.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Well it's obvious

That's unfair. Apple took their WIMPs from Palo Alto long before Microsoft picked up the idea and ran with it. Mind you, at least MS didn't run into any doors along the way.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Mind you, at least MS didn't run into any doors along the way.

But they did have some problems with a trashcan..

2. Chemical Bob
        Devil

Re: MS didn't run into any doors

Tell All The People

on the

Ship Of Fools

that

Strange Days

are ahead because

People Are Strange

2. Spacedinvader
      Joke

They're walking into it wrong...

3. My-Handle

I almost think that this whole article was a set-up just for that joke

1. Alister

And I took full advantage! :)

Can't believe the article didn't include some such comment.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Well, they could be simply treating the building like a modern UI/UX. Remember many modern UI conventions are to have totally flat interfaces with no real indication of what is a clickable icon/link etc. - the designers assume (and expect) users will simply click/touch everywhere until something happens - I think they call it "exploring" or "discovery", because having clearly defined buttons and menus that were readily understandable was so yesterday....

2. Pen-y-gors

What about the manifestations?

In backward countries like UKland the nanny-state requires that glass which can be walked into includes 'manifestations' - not ghosts, just those semi-transparent stickers/logos etc that are there to stop people walking in to them. What a primitive idea!

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

Re: What about the manifestations?

I was really confused one day to see a sign on a new glass fronting saying "GLASS AWAITING MANIFESTATION". Was elvis coming back? Is this some new, presently immaterial glass?

No, they were waiting for a professional to come by with some masking tape to do some frosting stripes. Very disappointing.

2. Tom 7

People did try sticking post it notes and so on - they were removed by the management for 'detracting from the building design'. So much like their products appearance is more important than function.

I'm glad I dont work there - I'd be unconscious before first coffee break.

1. Eddy Ito

I think I understand why Apple started their wellness program for employees. Maybe they could have a doctor stand in front of the glass to warn people about to walk into it.

2. Uberior

Blend some egg and smear it on.

It can be a pest to remove from glass once dried.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Blend some egg and smear it on.

It can be a pest to remove from glass once dried.

You just need to use a razor blade scraper which sadly my dishwasher doesn't have. That doesn't work on internal curved surfaces either which is a pain for bowls.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"That doesn't work on internal curved surfaces either which is a pain for bowls."

I really thought you'd said 'bowels' there for a moment.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

I nearly did type that! I was thinking of Mr Burns in the Simpsons talking about his boweling at the time.

http://thesimpsounds.tripod.com/sounds/burns-bowling.wav

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>Blend some egg and smear it on.

Its amazing what you can do with a diamond ring...

3. AndyS

I stayed in a hotel in Italy on a school trip when I was about 13. The hotel had lovely glass doors overlooking the coastal views. There were very clear manifestations (great word, by the way) on the glass, but they were still walked into semi regularly, including by some in our group.

Told my parents about it when I got home, and my dad, to his astonishment, realised it was the exact hotel where he had run, full speed, into the exact glass door when on a family holiday as a child, probably in the late 50s.

Different manifestations, same defenestration.

4. JimboSmith Silver badge

I do hope these glass walls aren't going to cause problems for the notorious secrecy of Apple.

I worked somewhere once where the internal walls were mostly glass and they did indeed have "manifestations" on them. However this glass caused problems at a meeting I went to with an external firm in one of our meeting rooms. The bloke turned up and when we reached the meeting room he protested that what he was going to show us was top secret. It was their new proprietary flagship product and it was certainly not something he was happy to show in a glass walled room. There was one not so nice meeting room free where the only window was a small one in the door but the aircon didn't work properly. He agreed to this one and we sat there getting warmer by the minute as his laptop firstly needed power because the battery was dead. Then he couldn't connect to the wifi which was eventually sorted out. The allotted duration of the meeting passed and we were seeming no closer to seeing his presentation. So I made my excuses saying I had to leave for another meeting and got up and left. I don't remember what the product or even the firm was but I can still see the look of disgust on his face when he saw a glass walled room.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Black Helicopters

@JimboSmith

it was certainly not something he was happy to show in a glass walled room

For $5 billion no doubt Apple has the super expensive type of glass with liquid crystals embedded that can darken to opaque at the touch of a button for meeting rooms and executive offices where sensitive things will be exhibited, and piezoelectric vibrators on the external glass to shield from laser audio spying by drones outside the properly line.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"In backward countries like UKland the nanny-state requires that glass which can be walked into includes 'manifestations'"

The UK also seems to be the only place in the world where one of a pair of double doors is always locked, whether that be a building entrance or just internal doors. Why bother putting double doors in if you're not going to use them? And just to cap it off, not all doors have an indication that it's push or pull only so when you push and nothing happens, you pull, only to find still nothing happens. It's madness I tells ya, madness!

1. Tim Seventh
        Trollface

And just to cap it off, not all doors have an indication that it's push or pull only so when you push and nothing happens, you pull, only to find still nothing happens. It's madness I tells ya, madness!

A moment later, another guy slided open it. see icon ->

2. onefang

"And just to cap it off, not all doors have an indication that it's push or pull only so when you push and nothing happens, you pull, only to find still nothing happens. It's madness I tells ya, madness!"

Reminds me of an ancient ditty from my high school days. "The sign says push to slow the speed, of those that pull before they read." Though perhaps it was the other way around, high school was a very long time ago.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That twerp who ran into a window...

BONGGGGGGG!

I'll bet the birds outside were laughing: "Hahahahahahaha! See, they do it too! Proves their big brains aren't so clever. Now let's see that idiot try and fly away before a cat gets him"

1. Alister

Re: That twerp who ran into a window...

Most of the birds which try to achieve take-off through my office window are wood pigeons, with the odd pheasant on occasion. Given their renowned intellectual prowess, I think the most you might expect as a response is... duh!

1. Aladdin Sane

I do hope you helped the pheasant inside and introduced it to bread sauce.

1. BebopWeBop

Each to their own - my partner prefers cranberry sauce (I indulge in neither bu she does get me to do the 'prep'). We have two killer cats who bring in 6-7 of the birds a year (the noise of one of them trying to drag the carcass through the cat flap is worrying). Remarkable there is very little damage to the bird, I assume (no post mortem) that they have strangled the animal - in the same way some other large cats do by compressing the neck.

1. Aladdin Sane

two killer cats

Obligatory The Oatmeal link.

2. The Nazz

Try saying this accurately, on repeat :

I'm not a pheasant plucker

I'm a pheasant plucker's son

I'm only plucking pheasants

Till the pheasant plucker comes.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Finding a dead seagull (Best kind) on the ground was mildly amusing on arrival at work one day at Somerset County Council, what was more amusing was it's greasy impression of the S.H.E.I.L.D. logo on the glass pane that it flew into.

It's probably still there even after 10 years - The imprint on the glass, not the dead bird which took facilities a few days to get around to removing it.

https://seeklogo.com/images/S/s-h-i-e-l-d-logo-F89847BD30-seeklogo.com.png

4. Sureo

Especially deadly...

...for those individuals walking around looking at their iToys instead of where they're going.

1. Frank Bitterlich
      Boffin

Re: Especially deadly...

That's why ARKit was invented. Just hold up your iGadget and ARKit will augment the glass doors with virtual manifestations. Problem solved.

5. chuBb.

i expect style guidelines (trumping health and saftey obviously [they used comic sans in places]) prohibit use of post it notes to indicate glass...

still at least u can guarantee defenestration when fired

1. Admiral Grace Hopper
      Facepalm

Post-It (tm)

A news report said that employees were using Post-it (tm) notes as boundary markers but the architecture police were removing them.

1. Rich 11

Re: Post-It (tm)

Do the architecture police deconstruct cases along classical lines and detain suspects in rusticated retention zones?

6. frank ly

Just wondering

Is this very expensive glass that is super-smooth and very transparent and always very clean? I ask because I seem to have no difficulty seeing and recognising glass when I encounter it.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Just wondering

> I ... have no difficulty seeing and recognising glass when I encounter it.

How would you know? You might just be lucky.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clean glass under some light condition can become rather "invisible". And if you expect an automatic glass door when there's only a glass wall, it can be a problem also.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>Is this very expensive glass that is super-smooth and very transparent and always very clean?

No just new glass.

Give it a few years and the glass will warp.

Asdie: in the 1980's there was a new glass-faced building on the Euston road in London, much loved by photographers because of the mirror-like reflections across multiple panes of glass, I was passing a few years back and now the glass has warped the reflections don't impress.

7. jms222

Solutions

a) never clean them

b) draw giant cocks on them

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Solutions

How would drawing a chicken help?

1. Rich 11

It's good practice for ducks.

1. BebopWeBop

Ducking won't work if they reach down to the floor.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You draw a chicken with a giant cock.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

c) put super strength glue on the glass, you won't get any complaints then.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Go

Just get a seagull on a suicide run to leave it's mark on the window (See earlier comment).

8. The Alphabet

Could Siri be to blame for this? She does have a mean streak....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Could Siri be to blame for this? She does have a mean streak...."

No.. if there were a mean streak people would be able to see the glass!

(I'll get me coat)

9. macjules

The Resurrection is under way

The casualty toll is set to increase once the building achieves sentience

Think Pet Sematary .. big building no doubt built upon an ancient burial ground with the corpse of Steve Jobs in the middle. The next stage is for blood to be spilled and channelled to the grave.

1. paulf
      Gimp

Re: The Resurrection is under way

"The casualty toll is set to increase once the building achieves sentience, and targets employees who have under-performed in their review."

I wonder if the building will achieve sentience before Apple Manglement? Perhaps the building can target the bean counter(s) that decided against increasing the Software Q&A budget first?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like