back to article Microsoft lobs Skylake Spectre microcode fixes out through its Windows

Microsoft is pushing out another round of security updates to mitigate data-leaking Spectre side-channel vulnerabilities in modern Intel x64 chips. Redmond said those who run Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server Core with Skylake (aka 6th-generation Core) CPUs can go through the Microsoft Update Catalogue to get …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a frigging mess !

Since it has been established that Intel's CPUs can not be repaired via microcode updates, all who have Intel powered PCs going back at least a decade are going to suffer a painful series of Hail Mary software patches via Intel / Windoze that will not actually fix the security issues but instead attempt to mitigate them. So far those patches have cost many millions of dollars in PC repairs as they have crashed PC systems and made them unbootable in many instances. It's a royal cluster because Intel knowingly chose to violate proper security structure for command execution and they should be held fully accountable financially for all losses suffered by Intel customers - as should Microsucks for exploited Windoze users.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: What a frigging mess !

maybe a better strategy would be to harden the defenses within browsers, like having NOSCRIPT-like capabilities ENABLED BY DEFAULT?

that way a rogue script can't run unless you give it explicit permission...

(so what if it breaks poorly designed web pages that are script-heavy - joke 'em if they can't take a FEEL)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"NOSCRIPT"

You surely mean NOBROWSE.

NoScript is a nice idea, but it's like using a sledgehammer to crack open a nut. Far better to keep a decent browsing experience but use uBlock Origin to block malvertising etc and / or use Sandboxie or browser sandboxing solutions such as Comodo, Webroot, Hitmanpro.alert, etc.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It's a royal cluster because Intel knowingly chose to violate proper security structure for command execution

Spectre-class attacks affect all CPUs using speculative execution and have any observable side channels. But please do continue to broadcast your ignorance, AC.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Good work by MSFT

The benefits of going with a fully support OS and not shareware Linux

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good work by MSFT

But who wants automatic updates that are infected with Telemetry Trojans?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Until the patches do more harm than good, bricking your PC and throttling performance etc.

SatNad's update patch QA record isn't very good, I would let the useful idiots take the plunge first.

Microsoft can never, ever be trusted.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think you know what "shareware" means.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"I don't think you know what "shareware" means."

yeah, that post had more ignorance than a religious cult's congregation. And if I could upvote yours more than once, I'd do it.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Perhaps they know exactly what shareware means and used that word because they knew it would annoy people?

4. LenG

I laughed at this because I thought it was intended as sarcasm. Others seem to have taken it seriously.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do not feed the trolls

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like