back to article Google powers up latest app it'll cancel in two years: Hangouts Chat

Google has moved its Slack rival out of beta and into general availability. The Mountain View advertising house this week formally released Hangouts Chat, the chat-and-collaboration platform thing it teased around this time last year. The system was previously limited to organizations enrolled in Google's Early Adopter Program …

1. DJV Silver badge

Two years?

Blimey, I doubt it will even last that long!

1. Tigra 07
      Meh

Re: Two years?

It'll be replaced by something else from Google next year.

Coming in 2019: Google-built Hangouts competitor

Coming in 2020: Google-built Hangouts competitor

Coming in 2021: Google-built Hangouts competitor

Coming in 2022: Google-built Hangouts competitor

Google - Master of fracturing and splitting their own userbase. They've even built a competitor to Android to destroy their OS Monopoly (Fuschia)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They don't care about Android, they care about advertising. If they split Android's market share with another OS but it doesn't damage the overall share they get the same advertising revenue and a get out of jail free card when the EU etc. wants to go after them for a smartphone OS monopoly.

1. Tigra 07
          Thumb Down

Why haven't they created a competitor to Google search yet? Alphabet search? If you're going to hand your users to your competition might as well do it properly.

Note to Google: We don't need 50 different chat apps from you. Get a fucking clue and sort yourselves out. No one cares if you can "innovate" a new chat app every year. What about usability and consistency?

Apple has imessage and that's it. Everyone with an iphone can use it without worrying that next year Apple will remove features for Apple Chat/Text/iChat/iText. After 9 years in control of Android get your fucking act together! [End Rant]

2. RyokuMas
        Stop

"Google - Master of fracturing and splitting their own userbase."

This is actually a legit business tactic - I saw it while in a previous role. The idea is that the big company that owns the various potentially competing companies is using them to grab more dosh.

For example - say Alphabet brought out "Alphabet Search" to rival Google (as suggested elsewhere in this thread). Both will have slots where you can buy an advert.

In order to get maximum coverage, an advertising space buyer will buy slots on both Google and Alphabet Search... both of which are emptying into Alphabet's coffers.

1. Tigra 07

"The idea is that the big company that owns the various potentially competing companies is using them to grab more dosh"

How does this work for free chat apps with no adverts, that are given to users for free?

2. katrinab Silver badge

But discontinuing your products all the time is not. When you discontinue a product, you force people to evaluate a replacement, and there is a possibility that they won't choose another Google product.

When I see a Google offering as a possibility, I immediately discount it and look elsewhere, because of their track record in discontinuing things.

3. JLV

Making fun of Hangouts? A-OK by me. Hate the thing. Making fun of Google product terminations/commitment issues? Ditto, although they still have a while to go before catching up with MS.

Fuschia - that's a bit of a disservice, innit? Fuchsia is partly conceived by the guys who did BeOS and that's quite a pedigree in my book.

Letting aside for a second Google's slurpiness, it's nice to see some experimentation in new OS. When it comes right down to it, you only have 2-3 main families right now:

Linux/BSD/macOS vs Windows. So, basically Microsoft's offerings and (very well done) offshoots of 70's Unix.

Dissing new OSs tryouts is like the folk who repeatedly claim we should have stopped designing system languages at C/C++.

I dunno about you, but I find the Go/Rust/Swift stuff are shaking that up in new and novel ways.

There's nothing wrong with trying out new from-scratch OS architectures. It's not my money anyway, so why not let Google have a go?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"Hangouts chat"

I dunno. I picture diversity-providing people adorned with bling and trousers at knee level going all gangsta on you.

1. frank ly

Re: "Hangouts chat"

It's Ali-G-Suite and the Mountain View Massive!

2. Rafael #872397
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: "Hangouts chat"

diversity-providing people -- thanks!

3. RudderLessIT
    Thumb Down

...but why?

So if you are anyone besides an organisation who is already running G-Suite, then why would you move off Slack or Teams? I don't see anything especially different.

1. Barry Rueger

Re: ...but why?

So if you are anyone besides an organisation who is already running G-Suite, then why would you move off Slack or Teams?

Surely for the seamless integration with your Google+ accounts.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Money? Slack is expensive for corporates.

3. David Nash Silver badge

Aren't there enough chat apps already?

1. jelabarre59

Aren't there enough chat apps already?

One presumes there are two pieces to the "app": the backend and the frontend. Presuming they don't manage to fubar the design and make it all proprietary and stuff, I presume someone could make a Purple/Pidgin plugin for it.

Of course, I haven't had occasion to fire up Pidgin in a year or more, once everyone else stopped using the various chat services.

4. all ears

Best subhead ever

no lack of hack in your attack...

1. gavincowie

Re: Best subhead ever

If basically all of my news sources would employ this head/subhead approach - ALL of them - we'd all be much happier.

5. IPCurious

Mac app faulty

OS/X App doesn't work on my Mac desktop. Generates several security alerts in various directions and hangs uselessly.

1. Mr. Fatuous

Re: Mac app faulty

Try YakYak, it's not faultless but it is better. Failing that you can use it in a browser (https://hangouts.google.com/)

6. Blitheringeejit
    Headmaster

"Wednesdsy"

Any takers for crowdfunding a spillchecker for El Reg? Or would that take out a lot of the fun of being here..?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, so they reinvented XMPP

Again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like