back to article Opt-in cryptomining script Coinhive 'barely used' say researchers

Few sites are bothering to use the opt-in version of Coinhive, the controversial ride-along JavaScript crypto-mining package that requires end-users' consent to run. So said security firm Malwarebytes in an analysis emitted on Monday, but Coinhive developers disputed those findings and argued that a third of cryptomining-using …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I don't mind supporting websites by mining... but...

- It HAS to be the users choice to do so... so opt-in only !

- No mining allowed on mobile platforms (battery-life and all that...)...

- It HAS to be throttled so people's computers don't become slow/unresponsive...

- The owner of the website HAS to take responsibility for the code they use in case of malware / virusses being spread through their website...

As long as these conditions are met (particularly the last one) people shouldn't have a problem with it...

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: I don't mind supporting websites by mining... but...

- it should NOT be written in a scripted language, which would tend to be GROSSLY inefficient and a total waste of electricity by "contributors"

[but I doubt a 'native' version would EVER happen - who's gonna download an EXECUTABLE and RUN it?]

And so, crypto-mining (voluntary or otherwise) basically RIPS YOU OFF via your electricity bill.

and I bet the <whiny_voice>'climate change'</whiny_voice> crowd won't like the effect of electricity waste. but I'd laugh my backside off if ANY of those people are ACTUALLY USING javascript-based crypto-mining to raise funds!

That would be funnier than Penn & Teller passing out flyers at Earth Day to ban 'DHMO'.

1. psychonaut

Re: I don't mind supporting websites by mining... but...

[but I doubt a 'native' version would EVER happen - who's gonna download an EXECUTABLE and RUN it?]

bob - meet the average home user ... home users - show bob what you can do....clickety click run yes run ok

;)

2. katrinab Silver badge

"non intrusive opt-in"

Does that mean an "opt-in" statement hidden in the small print somewhere, which you can't access because your browser has frozen, and your battery / cpu is overheating?

3. DavCrav

"So said security firm Malwarebytes in an analysis emitted on Monday, but Coinhive developers disputed those findings and argued that a third of cryptomining-using websites get their users' consent."

So two thirds are running unauthorized software on users' PCs? Can someone get me a copy of the Computer Misuse Act, please?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"Can someone get me a copy of the Computer Misuse Act, please?"

I'd prefer a BATTERING RAM and a FLAMETHROWER

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like