back to article Talk about a MINER offense! Crypto-cash crafter clashes with T-Mob US in hipster haven

America's comms watchdog, the FCC, has ordered a bloke in Brooklyn, New York, to turn off his cryptocurrency miner – after the box interfered with nearby T-Mobile US cellphone towers. According to an official complaint [PDF] sent late last week, the regulator accused a fella called Victor Rosario of disrupting his neighborhood …

1. SirWired 1

Your tax dollars at work

The FCC's enforcement division literally has a fleet of vehicles equipped with direction-finding gear and spectrum analyzers to get to the bottom of problems like this one. They cut the roof off and replace it with fiberglass with the antennas hidden underneath.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Your tax dollars at work

If there was no enforcement of interference then TV, radio, cell phones etc. would be useless. Considering how much money the government made selling off the 700 MHz band to cellular carriers, spending a few million on enforcement is chicken feed. They wouldn't have been willing to pay very much if some ham radio operator or guy playing with an SDR could knock out a whole city...

2. Cederic Silver badge

Tax dollars well spent from the sounds of it. Identified the issue, sought sensible resolution, took proportionate action.

Nice to see the FCC doing good things for once ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>" Nice to see the FCC doing good things for once"

Only because Ajit Pai hasn't found a way to monetize this department yet.

2. YourNameHere

Emissions

This is why the FCC and other governments have established emissions controls for electronic equipment. I wonder if the Antminer S5 emission engineers were hired from VW?

3. vir

Put It In A Breadbox

Problem solved.

4. Lysenko

If only there were a solution...

... some sort of "cage" maybe. Didn't some old geezer called "Faraday" do some work on such things?

5. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Trollface

Tinfoil wallpaper

With enough left over for a hat.

Job done!

6. iron Silver badge

Didn't I read about this 2 weeks ago on another site? Snails and tortoises think you're slow El Reg.

7. Nimby
    Facepalm

Captain, we have no shields!

I was thinking that surely a standard grounded metallic case design would provide basic EM shielding so that this kind of EM interference wouldn't be an issue.

Then I looked up pictures of the Bitmain Antminer S5 and there's your problem. It looks like its box is meant to sit inside of a shielded rack or enclosure. So running one solo...

And this being New York, I'm sure his neighbors are the forgiving sort.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like