back to article KFC: Enemy of waistlines, AI, arteries and logistics software

Brits suffering through the nationwide KFC famine can enjoy with wry amusement the fact that an AI can be fooled into thinking an image of Colonel Sanders and the restaurant's logo are a stop sign. The fast food famine arose after KFC UK last week switched from logistics provider Bidvest to rival DHL. The result was delivery …

Page:

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

Yet...

On the everyday news, in the popular press etc., self-driving cars are here, now.

Disconnect, much?

2. Mark 85

In many places, defacing traffic control signs is a sport done by kids with a can or two of spray paint such as speed limit signs for "30 mph" become "80 mph". Or one I saw a few months ago: "Stop" became "Squat". I wonder how the car would react to "Squat"?

1. jake Silver badge

Or the infamous:

Speed

1 Hit

$5

in the window of a certain Stanford House ...

2. jmch Silver badge

One would think that, given the advances in GPS and mapping, that any self-driving cars need to stop 'looking' at traffic signs and have the relevant information already encoded in their maps. There is no complex recognition required, and regular updates can be done (even on-the-fly through mobile ata, same as 'live-ish' traffic updates). Local temporary changes could be signalled through a radio transmitter beaming the local changes to any vehicles passing by.

Of course there still would be security issues, in particular the car would need to be hardened gainst attacks to the update system and to the 'local warning' system. BUT these would work on quite specific and well-known channels - encrypting and authenticating small packets of data is actually a well-advanced technology even if in many cases it's woefully applied. It's certainly more easy to secure than relying on an artificial "Intelligence" that is based on a neeural net where even the designers don't know exactly how recognition/classification decisions are being made

1. iainr

Given that my modern and newly updated gps, unaware of the queensferry crossing. urges me to drive through a concrete divider and down an 45% embanking in a desperate attempt to get to the Forth Road bridge every time I drive to Edinburgh I'd personally pass on relying on gps/mapping solutions, Along the same stretch of road it frequently thinks I'm driving on parallel non-motorway roads and there are so many cases of fleshware drivers blindly following out of date directions to drive the wrong way up one way streets etc that I'd be factoring in a hefty amount of scepticism of GPS in any AI I was building.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"One would think that, given the advances in GPS and mapping, that any self-driving cars need to stop 'looking' at traffic signs and have the relevant information already encoded in their maps. "

Just plough past the guy holding the stop sign at the road works then? After all, it's a 60 mph straight bit of road.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. zebthecat

Ah, that brings back memories of driving to visit my grandparents in Dunbar. The sign always made me laugh.

There was a similar one near me on the A22 for the "River Uck" which was always defaced. East Sussex County Council finally gave up the battle and removed the sign completely,

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Shitbottle."

Yes, that was my first thought too. It seems to be a sport up there to see how quickly the recently replaced/repaired/cleaned road signs can be defaced again.

3. Oor Nonny-Muss

I may have done that exact modification a few dozen times in my youth... We used to use ¾" black tape to make it look kosher...

See also River Browney(e) near Durham for similar japes.

2. Korev Silver badge
          Terminator

Signs that don't move could be made into RFID "signs" which would be more accurate that using machine learning. Temporary signs and traffics lights could also be fitted with RFID. It wouldn't entirely eliminate the problem as cars need to be able to spot things like Police stopping traffic, animals running out etc.

1. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

RFID Signs

RFID in its typical form would then depend upon every self driving car betting fitted with an RFID Reader. Readers "illuminat" the tag with RF (e.g. 13.56MHz or 125kHz) to power it up. Given the distances to traffic signs, the vehicles might need the 50,000 watt version of the RFID Reader.

Perhaps there are other options.

1. handleoclast

Re: RFID Signs

the vehicles might need the 50,000 watt version of the RFID Reader

I'm sure Photonic Induction could cobble something together that would do the job. Althought 50 kW is probably a low estimate of what he'd come up with.

2. Steve the Cynic

the 50,000 watt version

In old money, that's the best part of 67 horsepower, just to drive the transmitter. Seems impractical to me.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yep, I have given this some thought. You would place visual markers on lamp posts or install transmitting ones that map the road layout. These would need to be interconnected and if they weren't working or incorrectly placed the car should then report this back to the company tasked with fixing them. As there are multiple lamp posts on both sides of the road the car would be able to confirm if one was incorrect and not working as they would create redundancy for each other on both sides of the road. It maps the road itself before the car gets there and is constantly mapping for changes, pedestrians and other cars. The perfect back up for the cars own sensors.

Sure this only works where there are lamp posts but it would be a start.

4. JeffyPoooh
              Pint

betting -> being

illuminat -> illuminate

Apalogies four the spillng mistekas. Normal service will resoom shorty.

1. jake Silver badge
                Pint

Let the people who have never typoed cast stones and aspersions ... The rest of us will relax, have a homebrew and thank the gawd/esses that we're not prefect.

2. Brian O'Byrne

So what happens when a construction worker forgets to turn off the stop sign after packing up. Every autonomous vehicle sees his van as a stop sign while he drives back to the yard.

Or someone could decide that it would be fun to hide one of those stop signs beside a major motorway. Instant long tailback while the plod search for a small device in the undergrowth.

3. jmch Silver badge

@Lost all faith

If you read the whole of my post not the bit you quoted...

"Local temporary changes could be signalled through a radio transmitter beaming the local changes to any vehicles passing by."

1. Bob_909@aol.com

Oops, did it again.

So we're right back to the same problem - local temporary changes can be INDUCED via a simple, low power radio transmitter.

3. Paul Cooper

Unfortunately, updating map databases tends to be VERY labour intensive, as any change can require very extensive QA checks to ensure the integrity of the whole database. It took the regular sat-nav databases for the UK about 2 years to include the newly built road on which I live - and Google Maps still hasn't got it after 6 years!

Further, it would be impossible to react in real time to temporary speed limits such as those imposed by road works - which might only be there for a few hours, or even be constantly moving in the case of works such as renewal of white lines etc.

There will always be a need for some sort on local indication of speed limits etc., so as to cope with these situations.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately, updating map databases tends to be VERY labour intensive, as any change can require very extensive QA checks to ensure the integrity of the whole database. It took the regular sat-nav databases for the UK about 2 years to include the newly built road on which I live - and Google Maps still hasn't got it after 6 years!

Same with speed cameras - driving on motorways, satnav will warn about 50mph speed cameras. I'm assuming that was down to roadworks and speed restrictions that have long since gone....

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One would think that, given the advances in GPS and mapping, that any self-driving cars need to stop 'looking' at traffic signs and have the relevant information already encoded in their maps.

Driving in Spain is fun with GPS. There's the "Where the f**k, did that roundabout come from? It's not on my satnav!" and there was a stretch of road where I would have to do the complete opposite of the satnav.

"Turn left"

"No, you stupid bitch, there is a no-entry sign, I have to turn right"

"Turn around now"

"How???? I'm on a dual carriage way with a big f**k off concrete barrier down the middle - wait till we get to the roundabout signposted ahead!"

3. wolfetone Silver badge

Near me, some one has taken it upon themselves to spray "ish" underneath the speed on the signs.

Makes me chuckle.

4. ChrisC Silver badge

"Or one I saw a few months ago: "Stop" became "Squat". I wonder how the car would react to "Squat"?"

Depends whether or not you paid the extra for the air suspension upgrade...

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

Rearranging anything to be misinterpreted as a hexagonal red sign on an intersection (or not as such) takes some doing. What's inside that hexagonal sign isn't as important as the shape and colour.

Ditto an upside down triangle on an intersection. (yield/give way)

The lines on the road give an important secondary clue,

At least some of these attacks are bring over/under thought and OCR is for hoomuns more than machines.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have I missed something?

Why would autonomous cars (when they arrive in 2080) need to read road signs? Sure they have to read the road, looking out for wayward pedestrians, footballs, cats and the like but surely all set variables (like speedlimits, stop sign location, etc.) will be coded into the maps they use. I don't get this.

Just as i finished typing the sentence last sentence it occurred to me: roadworks but then again surely any roadworks could have custom (doesn't have to be a sign) transmitter to inform the car of the rules of traversing any ongoing works. This just seems like another "look how we can confuse weak AI" schtick. Be more interesting to read about how they solve these problems.

This is all just a bit "got your nose"

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Have I missed something?

You know how your satnav often gets it wrong due to old data? This is the same * 1000. Autonomous vehicles have to be able to see and understand traffic signs.

Also if roadsigns, even just the temporary ones, had to use custom transmitters they would all need replacing or modifying.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't use the satnav mate, but I understand that maps on the device need updating.

I think the whole idea of trying to make a car (AI) understand the world around to perform the simple task of driving is nigh on impossible and thats before you've got to the interesting morality questions that have been posed. e.g. When the car has no option but to crash does it place the lives of the car occupants above those on the street.

If the world does want autonomous cars then I believe there will have to be changes to the infrastructure to make sure they can work reliably and safely. How does a visual AI check that what it thinks it is seeing is correct (as someone pointed kids with spraypaint, we get it all over here). I guess it would check a known database of good data which I would expect the manufacturer to update as required.

Since roadworks are by their very nature temporary (supposedly) then this would not mean replacing All road signs (not my point) just providing a way to interact with the car without having to rely on Visual AI for exceptions such as roadworks.

if they crack a self driving, morally upright car that needs no updates, set road data, can master driving different conditions, no infrastructure changes etc, etc, etc, etc, etc then they might as well build Skynet.

1. jmch Silver badge

"morality questions that have been posed. e.g. When the car has no option but to crash does it place the lives of the car occupants above those on the street."

This is a straw man. The trolley problem is a thought exercise to which there is no "correct" answer. It's not even known for any given human driver whether they would prioritise themselves / their passengers / anyone outside the car. Quite possibly, any human driver who THINKS they would react in a given way when it's a thought exercise could react in a different way when it's for real. So giving the car AI simple hardcoded instructions for collision avoidance priority will be sufficient.

There are many problems to solve to be able to get self-driving cars. Morality is not one of them.

1. jake Silver badge

One correct answer to "the trolley problem":

Hold the lever to keep the switch gear between the two tracks in an attempt to derail the train & thus save everybody.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

"Hold the lever to keep the switch gear between the two tracks in an attempt to derail the train & thus save everybody."

Should be "Hold the lever to keep the switch gear between the two tracks in an attempt to derail the train & thus kill some, or all, of the people on the train".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Should be "Hold the lever to keep the switch gear between the two tracks in an attempt to derail the train & thus kill some, or all, of the people on the train".

It's called the Trolley Problem, not the Train Problem. Trains don't often come into conflict with pedestrians at points.

1. Bob_909@aol.com

??

Ever hear of a train crossing? People get killed there all the time. Plus, one would assume that people who are posting here can understand context.

2. jake Silver badge

No, the train has slowed for the switch. Chances are it wouldn't even fall over.

John Brown, might want to look up the trolley problem as posited.

2. LucreLout

When the car has no option but to crash does it place the lives of the car occupants above those on the street.

Ultimately, yes. Even if that is not the default behaviour, people will produce modifications that will allow such decisions to be predetermined.

That's no different to a human driving though, is it? It requires truly selfless reasoning and balls that'd shame Superman to crash into a tree instead of a person in the road, if doing so is likely to kill you. Maybe I could bring myself to do it if its a child in the road and my child is not in the car, but if my child is in the car, then whoever or whatever is in the road is shit outta luck. Sorry. You'll not find any parent make any other decision either, despite the howls of protest that will doubtless follow.

I don't see why society expects AI to behave better than they would themselves - even if it did, they'd start changing it because they wouldn't like the outcomes - does your smart home dob you into the police because it can detect weed being smoked? Perhaps your smart home could tell your GP the truth about how much you eat, drink (alcohol), smoke, and your fitbit can explain just how little exercise you really do? Any limitations on such behaviours won't be technical.

3. J P

Re: Have I missed something? - SMITCH79

Note to the utopians - people drive cars, and perhaps more importantly lorries full of stuff, across borders. It's going to be handy for autonomous cars to have some idea of what the human-controlled visiting vehicles are going to do in response to the locally perceived physical environment, including roadsigns, in real time - not just try to predict it based on a theoretical cyberspace model where the no-entry and one-way-street signs *haven't* all just been reversed by jolly rag week students.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

not just try to predict it based on a theoretical cyberspace model where the no-entry and one-way-street signs *haven't* all just been reversed by jolly rag week students.

Or the town council want to try out something new like change all the one-way streets around.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Or the town council want to try out something new like change all the one-way streets around."

Apart from during a transition period, that's probably a very good example of something that could become very easy to do. If the vast majority of cars are AV/AI and permanently connected, it would be obvious have a national mapping infrastructure such all cars have the same map updates, with pretty much real time access.

This would also pretty much eliminate the need for road signs.

Whether we'll ever get to that stage is another matter, but the transition period is going to require far more complex and expensive systems than will be required once (if!!) AV/AI vehicles become the norm.

Taking just the UK, if all road vehicles were AV and connected at all times, even the tiny little rural roads with 10ft hedgerows such as in the south west should be usable since each car will "know" about all the other cars in the area long before they come into view and be able to negotiate who goes where and when, maybe just adjusting speeds slightly so opposing cars arrive at passing places together or re-route, effectively creating dynamic one-way systems.

4. spireite Silver badge

Round me, most of the drivers don't understand the world and environment around them ........

What chance does an autonomous car have??

Temporary roadworks... the best example of an oxymoron....

2. veti Silver badge

Speak for yourself. The maps on my phone get updated a couple of times a week, on average, without any action on my part. If that's available as standard on a low-grade Android, I find it hard to believe that a $30,000 car can't match it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not a lot of use when the nature and position of the limit changes through the day then. Think repainting the road markings as an example.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

There was a story (was it here at the Reg?) about Tom Tom ceasing support for various models of SatNav, some of which aren't that old. I can't see support for built in units being any better, so am a bit sceptical about those, and whether they'll be much use once the vehicle is 5+ years old.

1. J P

The satnav in my wife's 7 year old Landrover cheerfully tells us we're doing 60mph across a ploughed field each morning (they built the bypass 6 years ago). We could of course get the maps upgraded, but it's rather more expensive than the alternatives, so haven't bothered. However, if it was a legal requirement then we'd... probably sell the car. Most likely to someone who simply wouldn't bother, and take their chances. But to write off all that physical hardware, just for a software upgrade? It's a completely different set of equations for natural resource consumption considerations than we've ever used before.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"so am a bit sceptical about those, and whether they'll be much use once the vehicle is 5+ years old."

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed as AI car legislation is introduced. Manufactures will be legislated to provide update for the life of the vehicle. Hopefully the lawmakers will consider what the true "life" of the vehicle is and not assume that everyone gets a new car every year or two like they do. It's already difficult enough for the less well off to keep and maintain a car in the current MoT/anti-pollution regime we are in now. Someone running an old banger isn't really in a position to take advantage of "scrappage" schemes. The cashback/discount is no where near enough to being a new car price down to their level.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Speak for yourself. The maps on my phone get updated a couple of times a week, on average, without any action on my part.

And you still find places where it's wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I find it hard to believe that a $30,000 car can't match it."

I find that very easy to believe. I was using a hire car last week, and rapidly resorted to using my phone because of the poor quality of the GPS built into the car. (A Toyota Auris with a bit over 1000km on the clock when I picked it up.)

For the record, I was in Norway and my phone uses "Navman Navigator" and OpenStreetMap data.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Why would autonomous cars (when they arrive in 2080) need to read road signs?

Let me quote you the oldie but goldie from the other side of the wall dating back to the early 1980-es:

Protocol of the weekly meeting of the Police Union.

The Union met today and discussed the following agenda items:

1. Application by Snr Constable Petrov for financial assistance due to temporary hardship.

The Union decided:

1. To approve the application for financial assistance of Snr Constable Petrov

2. To issue Snr Constable Petrov a temporary movable STOP and 30km/h per limit stop signs.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

"Just as i finished typing the sentence last sentence it occurred to me: roadworks but then again surely any roadworks could have custom (doesn't have to be a sign) transmitter to inform the car of the rules of traversing any ongoing works."

Again this is not the exact issue, it is the serious disconnect between the claimed ability of AI to deal with the real world that meat-bags do a half-passable job of in order to work for the decades it will take to transition from drivers to robots on the road.

If your AI can't tell a KFC and STOP sign apart, just how good/safe will it be? Even if you think "oh just put up a transmitter for robocars at road works" how will they deal with any other sort of outage/problem that meat bags could deal with by using their (admittedly often limited) intelligence to work around? Finally when there is a a fatal/serious injury crash involving a megacorp's robo car and some lawyer can show such shitty AI discrimination of the obvious, do you think the fines for knowingly unsafe design will be Ford Pinto style or not?

4. macjules

any roadworks could have custom (doesn't have to be a sign) transmitter

In ENGLAND? By 2080 that will simply mean that they have a robot holding a 'Stop/Go' sign and repeatedly saying "Don't ask me guv, I only work here".

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like