back to article Iiyama reanimates LCD cartel lawsuit corpse, swings it at Samsung

LG and Samsung may be getting hot under the collar after an English court agreed that the long-running liquid crystal display (LCD) price-fixing cartel case can be reopened. In a lengthy and detailed ruling by the Court of Appeal of England and Wales, handed down on Friday, Lord Justices Longmore and Henderson, along with Lady …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hard Drives Anyone?

Seems the same today between WD,Seagate and Toshiba, regards price fixing Hard Drives, especially capacities of 5TB or larger, which are priced as virtual multiples of 1TB drives.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we add to that Size-fixing since so few of them actually make a 16 x 10 format and when they do the price is astronomical.

16 x 9 just does not cut it.

1. gypsythief

Re: Can we add to that Size-fixing

Well, to be partially fair to them, the whole 16:9 thing came about because of the unwashed-masses watching and buying their telly-telly-junkum-boxes in that horrendous ratio, thereby driving down the wholesale price of 16:9 LCD panels.

That said, I am fully with you that 16:10 kicks donkey-ass, and is the One Ratio to Rule Them All (well, apart from maybe 3:2, but you're looking at an oh-my-flipping-goosberries, 'ow much!! Microsoft Studio for one of those screens).

In the interim, may I highly recommend a Dell U2412M*, @ 1920x1200 16:10 goodness. I've had mine for several years now and have been very pleased with it, using it for tasks such as gaming and photography. You can pick it up in the UK for £250-ish which seems quite a good price for a Proper Monitor.

*No shares with Dell, so feel free to bung me one of those virtual beers the Reg offers as compensation for my sage advice:)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"16 x 9 just does not cut it."

And still it keeps coming. Almost any time this can be insinuated into comments it gets dragged out. Because when it's looked at what the actual demand is for is a 1600 pixel height. Would you really complain that a screen of about 2850 x 1600 pixels? And even if you did, maybe you should remember that there are use cases that fit a wide screen very well. Ever looked at a graphics design program? In the middle of the screen there's usually a rectangle of more ore less 4:3 surrounded by palettes of lines, fills and what not. The wider the better for those guys. And then there are those of us who work with a page of reference material on one side of the screen and a page we're writing on the other. 4:3 doesn't cut it for that job.

How frequently do we complain of users who can't specify their requirements properly? Well, demanding narrow screens when what you really want is more pixels in height is a prime example of that. So lets agitate for something that would help us all: 1600 high screens. And wide ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've got a 1980x1200 screen and I really like it. I bought it mainly because I use a lot of audio software and the dimensions of many applications and plugins are fixed, particularly horizontally. It's also good for watching videos because it can fill the width of the screen while leaving title/status bars etc. visible.

Generally I'm not too bothered though and I don't think I'd prefer my laptops to use that aspect ratio.

It's a stupid argument though. While you can say that 16:9 loses screen space from the bottom or top, you can equally say it gives you extra at the sides.

Incidentally I still have an Iiyama CRT monitor which I bought over 20 years ago. It's a 15" screen and can do 1600x1200 which is pretty impressive given what others of that vintage could do. Still works perfectly, although I don't exactly use it a lot - it's connected to a PC in the loft which I use for backups of backups.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actively looking for Alternatives to LG-Sammy Duopoly

Welcome any suggestions! I'm tired of S.M.A.R.T... Surveillance Marketed As Revolutionary Technology and the Facebook-like lack of transparency / lies / slurp games. But I don't know want else is left though that doesn't practice the same business model, Projectors?

I'd also like to support / reward products that are based around Privacy not IoT slurp. Lots of people thought that market would blossom post Snowden / Schrems. Yet everything at CES points to a deaf-dumb-blind-bubble or privacy apocalypse of epidemic proportions. Fcuk me! No thanks!

4. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Iiyama successfully argued that it bought monitors from Samsung and others in the cartel from within the EU."

Presumably they bought LCD panels, rather than monitors?

1. Alister

I don't know why you got a downvote, I was going to post something similar, the article is quite confusing and ambiguous in its choice of words.

Iiyama are a maker of monitors and TVs, (not screens) and they purchased LCD panels from Samsung and others. They definitely didn't buy complete monitors.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh goody

I can look forward to another $9.36 check or similar, while the lawyers make hundreds of millions!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like