back to article Bloke sues Microsoft: Give me $600m – or my copy of Windows 7 back

A fella in the United States is taking Microsoft to court to get Windows 7 put back on his PC. Frank Dickman, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking damages from both Microsoft and CEO Satya Nadella for what were termed "civil rights violations" that occurred when his Asus laptop was automatically …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charles 9

Re: Don't forget to sue them for time lost...

Except there needs to be a justification for an amount that high. Usually, huge judgments only come as the result of deaths directly attributable to the wrongful action or class action suits with lots of defendants.

Now, the dream decision would be for Microsoft to be compelled to openly release its source code for Windows 7, but even I know that no action on Microsoft's part could legally compel them at this stage. Any such attempt can and would be appealed, and we're aware of the conditions up top in the SCOTUS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except there needs to be a justification for an amount that high.

Seems an appropriate sum in view of the emotional distress of dealing with Windows 10.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Mushroom

Re: the emotional distress of dealing with Windows 10.

Fucking snowflakes.

1. Hollerithevo

@sabroni, that was supposed to be a joke. Or maybe your response was also in high humour?

1. Hero Protagonist

“@sabroni, that was supposed to be a joke.”

Write better jokes

2. Chronos

sabroni wrote: Fucking snowflakes.

If you can do so before it melts, not to mention the scale issue, you have my sympathy, sir. I would refrain from openly declaring your peccadilloes in public forum, though.

1. aqk
              Pint

Re: the emotional distress of dealing snowflakes

sabroni wrote: Fucking snowflakes.

If you can do so before it melts, not to mention the scale issue.

Hey, no problem!

How do think this guy got the moniker "Dickman"?

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Fucking snowflakes."

Slightly off topic surely? And no links.

1. Splork

"Fucking snowflakes."

Slightly off topic surely? And no links.

You might try a Google search but the View Image button may be borked...

4. wallaby

Sad indictment of the state of the world today that these idiots are allowed to bring spurious claims like this.

Really wish people would get a life

1. FrozenShamrock

What is spurious about his claim? He paid money for a product and Microsoft intentionally destroyed it. As the first comment notes, if this had been done a hacker it would have been a criminal offense.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

Personally after having to deal with several PCs that were upgraded(?) to Win 10 by the Red X con I hope he succeeds in getting 7 back. If it wasn't issues with the graphics cards then it had issues with hard drive on most of the machines I dealt with. Plus one user with had issues with Alzheimer’s and remembers pictures but not words. As a result when the icons were changed in Win 10 to different looking ones they were stuffed. I was able to fix it thanks to a copy of Shell32 from win7 and a few screen shots of the old desktop.

3. Palebushman
              Coat

@wallaby.

As you mention "that these idiots" in your comment, can I assume that is directed at solicitors, lawyers etc; who are never idiotic in producing unconscionable fees for time wasting rhetoric.

4. Dun

LOL that idiot got a response from you and Microsoft. I guess he made his point.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. death&taxes

Pics or it didn't happen.

2. Andy Livingstone

Aware of conditions on top of SCOTUS

We are???? Do tell!!!

1. wallaby

Re: Aware of conditions on top of SCOTUS

ooh,,,,, redneck king apologist in the house

3. kryptylomese

Customers of a restaurant are much better off not looking inside the kitchen!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. anothercynic Silver badge

@Charles 9,

Except there needs to be a justification for an amount that high.

This is the United States. You don't need *any* justification for *anything* in a lawsuit. Just launch it and see if it sticks...

5. illiad

win7 source code??? If you have been following the apocryphally awful development of win10 from the start, you may have surmised that they junked it ALL (workers, code, etc, etc...), being sooo confident it was super fantastic, that they took **6 months** to realize that people hated it!!!

It seems they had to go back and recreate the good bits again from scratch... :(

1. Wayland

Windows 10 does seem new and fast but unfinished with a lot of the old screens still needed. Potentially better than Windows 7 but default settings need to be different. No spying for example, no forced updates.

2. TCook1943

Good bits ???

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Irony of Microsoft's honchos not bothering to use Microsoft Word.

The Irony of Microsoft's honchos not bothering to use Microsoft Word to type a letter to notify Corel. Someone struggled with the Ribbon Bar and gave up in frustration?, I know I do sometimes.

3. Aqua Marina
      Trollface

Meh, MS should just tell him to install Classic Shell and to go away!

1. Emmeran

Doesn't work. It's a video driver problem with the NvideaMobility chips from a certain model. You can eventually force W10 to sort of work but each update Tuesday blue screens it again. I've spent years struggling to force it to work with no luck on my 27" AllinOne Asus.

I eventually gave up and went to Windows 7 (even though it came with Win 8.1), I bought my only copy and wrote the whole episode off to bad luck with early Chinese products.

2. ChrisC Silver badge

a) if his PC was truly borked by the W10 "upgrade", then he wouldn't get very far trying to install anything else to persuade it to behave more like the PC he was used to

and

b) thanks to the most recent round of "improvements" in W10, Classic Shell is no longer in development and there's no guarantees as to how long it'll continue working as MS continue to fiddle with stuff that CS hooks into...

1. Stevie

Re: Don't forget to sue them for time lost... (4 ChrisC)

"if his PC was truly borked by the W10 "upgrade", then he wouldn't get very far trying to install anything else to persuade it to behave more like the PC he was used to"

Unless, and this is just a guess, part of the cost if for a new HDD or SDD on which to load the much nicer Windows 7.

60 dollars for a 1TB HDD, one hundred million times that for the hassle of trying to find all the little programs and drivers that make life so great with that particular machine.

Entirely reasonable.

3. Jeffrey Nonken

Classic Shell has been abandoned by the author. Cites too many rapid changes by Microsoft to keep up. The last version is still available for download.

1. jelabarre59

Classic Shell has been abandoned by the author. Cites too many rapid changes by Microsoft to keep up. The last version is still available for download.

Also has been open-sourced on SourceForge (https://liliputing.com/2017/12/classic-shell-goes-open-source-developer-abandons-customize-windows-10-make-work-like-windows-7.html) and cloned to GitHub. So still maintainable by anyone who wants to torture themselves with MSWin coding.

4. Scorchio!!

Better still send him a Linux installer with Wine.

1. wallaby

"Better still send him a Linux installer with Wine."

and out of their holes they come

tedious

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

and out of their holes they come

What? Are you saying you like this MS shit?

Where they tell you how you should work, rather than Linux, where the computer is a tool that *you* configure how *you* want it to work?

I think it is you, sir, who should climb back into your hole.

2. Mike 'H'

Don't you mean a Linux installer for his Whine? :)

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Better still send him a Linux installer with Wine."

What, no free beer?

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Coat

Nervously...

#metoo

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nervously...

Zog_but_not_the_first,

To avoid the *very* delicate issues with using #metoo ....

perhaps #metoo2 .... although possibly still too soon for such jokes* !!!

*Totally support #metoo BUT it appears to be getting 'too easy' to cast blame/guilt without any need for apparent evidence. I am sure that someone is eventually going to be 'unfairly smeared' because it is very difficult to defend against 'Guilty until proved Innocent' that the current media *seems* to be working to. !!!

All for catching the Guilty BUT don't like the possibility for scores being settled by *some* jumping on the bandwagon and seeing who they can impact. A bit like 'Swatting' it can have unintended consequences and often the 'unintended' is a little bit dubious, if you get my drift.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I did

my solution:

1) erase disk

2) obtain a Linux DVD or USB stick

3) Figure out your next step...

99) Give M$Soft the finger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:Figure out your next step...

Tinkering with WINE indefinitely trying to get the software you need to run?

1. toxicdragon

Re: Re:Figure out your next step...

This is the one thing I am worried about. Come hell or high water my next machine WILL run a Nix variant because of this auto upgrade rubbish. If the worst comes to the worst I think I will have to run windows in a virtual machine just for certain programs.

1. The Central Scrutinizer

Works well for me!

2. Stevie

Re: Re:Figure out your next step... (4 toxicdragon)

"This is the one thing I am worried about. Come hell or high water my next machine WILL run a Nix variant because of this auto upgrade rubbish. If the worst comes to the worst I think I will have to run windows in a virtual machine just for certain programs."

Then I welcome you to the new world, where upgrades are not automatic unless they are, everything is easy to find out unless it isn't, things are intuitive unless they are opaque and all you have to worry about is systemd.

Been there. Done that. Have the T-Shirt.

Mint should be your first try in my opinion, though they will ask you to make decisions about *which* Mint that you are unequipped to make at the start. Just go for one and try it out. The installation is relatively painless, or was for me.

After that you may learn to approach software with the catchphrase "what new hell is this?" since everyone has their own axe to grind in the OS GUI world.

And good luck with the hosted windows idea. You may need it by the shovelful.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Re:Figure out your next step... (4 toxicdragon)

Mint should be your first try in my opinion, though they will ask you to make decisions about *which* Mint that you are unequipped to make at the start. Just go for one and try it out. The installation is relatively painless, or was for me.

Or try them out with a live CD/DVD/USB first?

3. Jakester

I have a few computers (both laptop and desktop) running Linux and using Virtualbox to host a Windows 10 virtual machine for my wife. If she suspects a virus, pup, or other malware, I click back to my latest snapshot - problem fixed in seconds, not days. I do a snapshot usually about every 1-3 months and just before a new software install. There is a speed penalty, but it is not noticeable for web surfing, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets. I also have a couple applications that require Windows and generally use in a Virtualbox virtual machine.

Linux isn't perfect, by any means, as the Virtualbox supplied by the Ubuntu repository broke when a recent kernel update came down the pike. I had to remove the old, install the latest from Virtualbox's website, and do a little Googling to get it to work.

4. TCook1943

Wine is quite capable of running virtually all applications & quite a lot of games these day's & contrary to another post is very easy to use. I am 74, suffer from the dreaded Al & have some brain damage from a mini stroke & wasn't that bright to start with & even I find it a doddle.

5. Mike 'H'

The funny part, is that for better or worse, the Linux ecosystem has been in a continuous-upgrade cycle since I started with it, some 20 years ago.

Its just that unlike big corporate entities, its a community based effort where people can persuade other people to not change things too horribly - and if one distributor decides to, there's hundreds of alternatives, most not too terribly different from what one has used previously.

Then finally said distributors either become irrelevant or change. (Can anyone say Ubuntu+Unity ? What, Unity is dead finally? Good riddance!)

2. Stoneshop
        Linux

Tinkering with WINE indefinitely trying to get the software you need to run?

That would be "Spinning up a VM for that odd piece of Windows software that you still need". And my tinkering with WINE was limited to "Oh wait, better uncheck this option and let the installer finish first instead of starting the program with the installer still running"

3. Adrian 4

How about :

4. Find out how important those legacy applications really were

5. Ditch them for something better

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like