back to article Aching bad: 'Kingpin Granny' nicked in huge prescription drugs bust

Silver surfers are known to rattle from the numerous pills foisted on them by doctors as their health fails, but one Tennessee veteran stands accused of possessing drugs with an altogether different purpose. Dubbed "Kingpin Granny" by Decatur County cops, The Smoking Gun reported that 75 year-old wheelchair-bound Betty Jean …

1. Chazmon

Evading arrest? In a wheelchair? That must have been one to watch!

1. David Roberts
      Go

Shades of Benny Hill!

2. usbac Silver badge

This is the US. It seems that a "Resisting Arrest" charge is automatically added to each arrest. Kind of like VAT.

I think if you told the cops "I give up" and actually put the handcuffs on yourself, you would still be charged with resisting arrest.

Since the purpose of the court system is for plea bargaining, this gives them a little more leverage. It's like having cash in hand when bargaining for a new car. It's that little "extra".

1. kain preacher

Wrong. Resisting arrest means you pissed the cop off. look at the cop wrong resisting arrest. Resting arrest is often used to justify an arrest when the cops screws up or or has nothing else on you or like I said the cops are pissed at you . Another favorite bull shit charge that the use to arrest you with no reason is disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. Often times they will add those on like ryan air surcharges.

https://nypost.com/2016/05/12/charges-dropped-against-mailman-arrested-by-rowdy-cops/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roses are red

Violets are whack

Can I ask a question?

Does she sell crack?

1. James O'Shea

As this is, after all, Tennessee, she might sell an entirely different kind of crack.

3. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Sounds like the American version of Big Mags Haney.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

12000 Dollars

Not exactly on the same level as a certain Mr Escobar.

Wheelchair Gangsta Grannies coming at you......

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: 12000 Dollars

She was probably selling drugs to her friends and neighbours who need them, but can't afford to pay to purchase legally from the US health "system".

All the other charges will be used to negotiate some sort of awful plea bargain, as has been noted above.

What a country.

1. pauhit

It seems you know something the rest of us don't, as I wonder where you got the source for that claim. After all, it's not as if an opioid epidemic is sweeping the rural US, so much so that it's pushing out meth.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

1000 pills does not a "Kingpin" make, if by "kingpin" we mean Nicholas Fisk, on-off crime boss of New York City in Spider-Man comics.

On the other hand, this may be a business where you don't keep much inventory, where you sell it as fast as it comes in. I don't know the industry well.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Kingpin

No, hang on - The Kingpin's name is Wilson Fisk.

Nicholas Fisk is a pen name of an author of science fiction for children, mostly.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roses are red

And flown in from Guyana

Why pop pills

When you can smoke weed?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

possession of a prescription drug with intent,

Intent..... to use?

Loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing, Possession of thick lips, ....

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Joke

"Loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing"

But the lady in question is not a coloured gentleman?

Looks like your racial sensitivity training had some effect, Savage. You're a disgrace to the modern police force.

7. TRT Silver badge

The less said...

about Granny's bust, the better.

8. Kernel

Could've been worse

Put 'Granny' and 'Aching' together in the same headline and my thoughts immediately turn to sheep remedies and 'Jolly Sailor' pipe tobacco

9. handleoclast

Is this a real story or an urban legend?

It's just that South Park used the same plotline a month or two back.

10. Hans 1
    Childcatcher

Apparently, she purchased the drugs from somewhere. I guess prescription drugs need a ... prescription .... now, who made one out for her and why ?

If she has a prescription, was given too many, and somebody is in need of a painkiller, I guess it is not illegal to help out, even if you charge for the favor ...

Unless the drugs were legally obtained, I doubt the forces have a legal leg to stand on.

She apparently had a great variety of drugs, I guess it was her collector's urge....

Icon: Will someone think of the grannies!

1. Carpet Deal 'em
      Holmes

Not too long ago it came out that drug companies were happily shipping absurd amounts of opioids to just two pharmacies in West Virginia. There are clearly ways to get things that are legitimate on their face that only show their true nature with some closer scrutiny.

2. Kernel

"If she has a prescription, was given too many, and somebody is in need of a painkiller, I guess it is not illegal to help out, even if you charge for the favor ..."

I suspect your guess would be wrong in most countries - it's generally illegal to be in possession of prescription drugs with someone else's name on the package. Definitely a way to attract attention at border crossings.

11. chivo243 Silver badge

opioid epidemic

Here is evidence that the big pharmas are making way too may pills, and money...

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: opioid epidemic

Yes, but in this case the pharma companies weren't getting any of the money she was making, hence the arrest.

12. Cyril

1000 pills? That's like a dozen 90 day prescriptions, less if any of them are 2 pills a day. There are people of that age who do in fact have a dozen prescriptions. More than likely she gave a friend that was out of pain pills some of hers and the cops decided to make a big deal out of it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like