back to article It's been 50 years since those damn dirty apes took the planet by storm

On a cold, dry evening of February 9, 1968, cinemagoers at New York's venerable Capitol Theatre were the first members of the public to be taken to a new but worryingly familiar world. Ahead of the film's nationwide April opening, patrons of the picture palace at 1645 Broadway half a century ago caught an early glimpse of the …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Only a Moran or a Monkey could have written that....

It's 50 years to the day since the film first screened. What's odd about that timing?

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Megaphone

"Get your stinking paws off me..."

"...you dam dirty ape!"

Is a phrase I like to use whenever I can.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: "Get your stinking paws off me..."

Me too, but the missus says it spoils the mood.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Is a phrase I like to use whenever I can."

Well there is sure no shortage of opportunities these days!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well there is sure no shortage of opportunities these days!"

Careful, you might melt a few snowflakes with talk like that!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...you dam dirty ape!"

Can't help noticing a complete absence of Bonobos in all of the Planet of the Apes films, but istr that PotA had a restricted certification (an 'A' cert in the UK at the time) anyway and I guess that typical Bonobo behavior would have raised the cert to an 'X'.

3. Chris G

Who doesn't like a talking monkey?

Hmm that explains the orange hair then, Orangutan!

1. fandom

Re: Who doesn't like a talking monkey?

Now that you mention it, the way political nuts like you exchange insults does remind me of apes throwing shit at each other.

1. Chris G

I'm not too sure I'm a poitical nut, I despise all politicians equally, they are right up there with relgions.

Both are only really interested in owning you.

1. fandom

"I'm not too sure I'm a poitical nut,"

You bring political shit into a completely unrelated thread and you are still not sure?

Actually, I don't know why I am bothering to act surprised, it's not like self awareness is something political nuts excel at.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I think you wrong Chris. I skimmed thru a page of his recent posts and found virtually no mentions of politicians at all. Just this one orange orangutan thing, and that's pretty elliptic. Maybe he's just having an off day.

2. albaleo

You bring political shit into a completely unrelated thread

Only if you think politicians are related to politics. It's debatable.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

You bring political shit into a completely unrelated thread and you are still not sure?

Well the core story of the movie was that, wait for it... politicians blew up the world.

And there was political conflict among the monkeys.

Or have you not seen the actual movie?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The core of the original text story was the question of what exactly constitutes and identifies a 'person,' rather than an animal.

Recall the big inquisition of Taylor by the ape tribunal in the movie. I find it amazing that Hollywood allowed even THAT much of the original story theme to survive the cinematic process. And it's the only movie scene that lifts such dreck above the level of mindless fun. I guess they knew they'd have a joke movie without it...

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Hmm that explains the orange hair then, Orangutan!

The Librarian is not amused. Expect a visit from The Librarian shortly.

4. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

My favourite spoof is still in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back:

" And only those who outwit those damn dirty apes will ever remember that it was man who once ruled the earth! YOU MANIACS! DAMN YOUSE!!! GODDAMN YOUSE ALL TO HELL!!!

And so on.

Gotta love Kevin Smith movies.

1. Rafael #872397
      Happy

Spoof

Aw, come ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOeUXEpxzcc

5. Neil 44

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0

for those that remember Gerald

:)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Paris Hilton

Re: I'll just leave this here...

Is that the 'Wild? I was absolutely livid!' Gerald of NtNON fame?

Can't watch it from work.

1. Not also known as SC

That's the one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is it just me and my permanent private browsing, or is youtube and pretty much every other Gurgle product aside from search itself, slow and clunky to the point that you seriously wonder if that's the same company that runs the most visited site on the web?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> or is youtube and pretty much every other Gurgle product aside from search itself, slow and clunky

Not to mention that three clicks later you end up in some conspiracy theory video or another (but let's blame the Russians, you know).

6. jake Silver badge

The Varsity, Palo Alto, 3PM, July 17th 1969.

That's the place, time and date I first saw TPotA. How do I remember? Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins had taken a huge leap for mankind the day before ... and 3PM shows mid-week were 30 cents that summer.

I thought the movie was hogwash. Still do. Apollo still fascinates me.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: The Varsity, Palo Alto, 3PM, July 17th 1969.

The movie was never meant to be more than a matinée fare with a (then) current events relevant message.

Cheap moralizing I believe it is called with a twist ending.

In that form, it worked. The sequels sucked, but I have not seen the latest one.

7. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Happy

"...unsettling sight of Helena Bonham Carter costumed as unsettlingly attractive chimp"

"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and play girl bunny?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mrs Burton always gets a prominent part acting in Mr Burton's fantasies.

2. Pedigree-Pete
      Paris Hilton

Bugs Bunny girl...

@Santitz. No, but Jessica Rabbit is another story entirely. PP

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Bugs Bunny girl...

And not forgetting Kim Basinger when she was cartoonified in Cool World.

It's amazing how well that film hasn't aged* :P

*Brad Pitt looks like he just left infant school, whereas these days he looks like he's had 150 years sucked out of him by 'The Machine' in Princess Bride.

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: @ Pedigree-Pete

Jessica Rabbit had one of the best ever one-liners:

"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and play girl bunny?"

Or Bruce Jenner?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Am I bad for laughing at this?

8. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I didnt realise the recent slurry of apes movies were unconnected to the Wallberg one of a few years ago.

9. Blotto Silver badge
    Facepalm

The most recent Planet if the Apes was utter garbage

I really liked the original, saw the Wahlberg one at the London premiere.

I’m not too keen on the newer reboots, the originals had the premise that the apes evolved, now where told they came about due to human meddling. I Preferred the evolution angle.

The most recent movie was utter tosh though. Like Star Wars, the media reviewers loved it and raved about it, the overwhelming majority of the paying viewing public where not as generous.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3450958/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

I personally hated it and am saddened by what they’ve done to the franchise.

I really want a return to gritty passionate sci-fi as good as WoK, alien, Star Wars iv, silent runnings, moon, love, predator, gattaca etc.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: The most recent Planet if the Apes was utter garbage

"I really want a return to gritty passionate sci-fi as good as WoK, alien, Star Wars iv, silent runnings, moon, love, predator, gattaca etc."

I watched Silent Running for the first time in at least 20 years. Worth it, even if it's really not as good as I had (mis)remembered, with some over-caffeinated acting, and not enough story; the design is still terrific though.

What's WoK? (I'm prepared to be embarrassed at my brain fade here . . .)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I'm gonna guess at Wrath of Khan here.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Ah, got you. Thanks.

On that note am I alone in thinking that the first Star Trek film was pretty good - I haven't watched it since I was a kid but I remember really enjoying the premise.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

They keep remaking them but you can't beat the Chuck Heston versions.

Bloody bastard......BOOM !

In one of the countless billions of galaxies in the universe lies a medium sized star and one of it's satellites, a green and insignificant planet, is now dead.

11. Paul Westerman
    Thumb Up

I preferred the musical version

starting Troy McClure

1. Paul Westerman

Re: I preferred the musical version

* starring - sorry

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

Help me Dr Zaius!

1. defiler

He can talk, he can talk, he can talk

I can SING!!

12. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

That's not bad going...

...The premise is that in 3978, many hundreds of years after a nuclear war destroyed human civilisation, our near-relatives, the great apes, underwent the same evolutionary leap that had taken our bloodline from forest-dwelling apes like Ardipithecus ramidus...

A jump from Ardipithecus to Homo took around 2m years, and a jump from Homo Habilis to Sapiens took us another 2m. The Pan genus must have some pretty impressive mutagens to do a similar leap in 2k years....

...which picked up a handful of Oscars for makeup, costume and musical score...

It was up against 2001 - A Space Odyssey. 2001 had incomparably better make-up/costume, including an accurate (for the time) tribe of Ardipithecus, and I presume that I don't need to remind you of the 2001 musical score. With shots of Jupiter 'on location' from the probes. And Planet of the Apes won...

At the time Arthur Clarke said "Maybe they didn't give us the make-up prize because they thought we used real ape-men..."

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: That's not bad going...

As much as it pains me to say this, Accuracy doesn't necessarily correlate to movie quality. I do still think that 2001 is a better film than PotA and deserves more than it got.

Also, 2k years + nuclear fallout. In the timeline of the movie, I've always just considered that the apes got lucky.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"PotA "

Y'know, every time someone writes out POTUS in these forms, I always read it as Planet Of The Apes :-)

(Although I should say it started appearing with alarming regularity without explanation rather suddenly. A fast spreading meme for which I had to ask for an explanation.)

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Never did manage to convince my mother they weren't real apes in 2001.

13. handleoclast

Homage, pastiche or parody?

Whatever, this always makes me chuckle.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Homage, pastiche or parody?

Why not all three! :)

14. IsJustabloke
    Thumb Up

phew...

"unsettling sight of Helena Bonham Carter costumed as unsettlingly attractive chimp"

I found her strangely sexy as well and I thought it was just me....

point of order though - Apes are not monkeys

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like