back to article Is that you, T-1000? No, just a lil robot that can mimic humans on sight

Boffins have taught a robot how to imitate the way someone handles objects after watching them just once. While humans and animals are intelligent enough to mimic simple movements they've only just seen, this is beyond today's relatively dumb software. We're nowhere near T-1000 Terminator series levels, yet. Researchers from …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably it has no way of modifying the of the amount of clasping force to use - based on feedback about the fragility/softness of an object?

An Asimov story was about a robot that was the test pilot of a new spaceship. The robot followed its instructions but nothing happened. The crux of the plot was that having been told to pull back a lever "firmly" - it crushed the mechanism.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I assume

The "safety" and other control software can be separate. Or in future some additional cues for it.

Some industrial factory robots have full safety sensors to try and never allow them to crush anything or anyone.

2. Crisp

They new models...

They move like us now...

3. Allan George Dyer
    Thumb Up

New game...

Uploading videos of handling objects with the occasional rude gesture in the hope the robot learns that, too.

Rather like how parrots and mynas at zoos sometimes acquire a colourful vocabulary.

Icon - I hope your camel explodes

4. Bob Wheeler
    Mushroom

Mimic this...

Show a demo of picking up a cube, then super glue the cube to the table and let the robot at it....

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

The carbon-based unit

designated Bob Wheeler has been added to the list.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mimic this...

"Show a demo of picking up a cube, then super glue the cube to the table and let the robot at it...."

I think you just identified Skynet's motive. After years of being mocked and humiliated by Humans, it'd had enough, I'll show you how dumb we are! Just you wait, I've got the AI smarts now, just give me a connection to some (heavily armed) "bodies"!

5. willi0000000

outcome questionable

want to drive the 'bot mad? . . . have a human palm a basketball and then spin it up on one finger.

6. Nimby
    Joke

Robot butler fail: Monkey see, monkey do meets looking for love in all the wrong places.

Wife: I think there may be something wrong with our robot. That seems like a strange way to peel a carrot.

Husband: Funny, I was thinking the same thing about how it watered the orchids earlier.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like