back to article EU digital commish to 5G folk: Improving mobile data-rate, guys? Really?

A European commissioner raised concerns in a private letter to mobile operators and the network infrastructure industry – seen by The Register – that the 5G project is not working out according to plan. Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society Mariya Gabriel said in the letter – sent early in December last year – to the …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

Faster?

Impossible without more spectrum and/or more masts between 850MHz and 2.3GHz. Cells are too big at lower frequencies. Cells are only workable as WiFi replacements or Line Of Sight at 3.5GHz and above. We don't need any new spec for either of those. A new protocol standard can't give more speed at all.

The 5G was supposed to be about integration, not new bands or more speed.

~

Perhaps Nokia, Huawei, Ericsson etc are more interested in selling upgrades to Network operators and phone makers want to sell new phones to consumers? Thus the original aim is irrelevant as long as everyone upgrades.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

mesh?

for obvious reasons the entirely independent standardising boodies don't like mesh, decentralised self-celling mesh . . . but I did notice a new traffic-light in Leeds had a proud RF mesh sticker on it

6G will need a few fibre backed BookFace nodes, natch, for the cat-pictures - but it could break from current power-tower mode to reduce citizen RF tower angst, and give them milliwatts of needed TX, not watts, and consequentially weeks of battery life from their thin fashionable mobe.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd have thought getting everything over to a pure IP based network would be more crucial - it'd make routing and interchangeability much easier if everything was IP packets regardless of content - voice, data, texts, whatever...

THEN we can focus on getting more bandwidth by altering which frequencies we use and how the packets are sent...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The Register understands that none of the parties involved in the exchange want to get dragged into a public spat and that meetings in Brussels are being arranged to discuss the differences in views."

So The Register newsroom went "you grab by the feet I grab by the arms and we drag them into the spotlight" whether they wanted to or not. I like that. As it should be.

There is a place for closed doors meetings in diplomacy, but not when dealing with private industry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like