back to article Amazon explained ‘Key’ crack before it shipped fix, says hacker who found the hole

The researcher behind the teaser of a new method to crack Amazon.com’s “Key” connected door locks has revealed how his method works, and criticised Amazon’s response to his work because it detailed the flaw before shipping a fix. In a Medium Post, the researcher known as “MG” explained that he revealed his riff on an attack …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

Not a bug...

But a feature?

2. Hans 1
    Boffin

6 stages of a debugging

Dev's know this takes place, however, for some obscure reason, they go through the same every single time somebody finds something wrong with their code. I am good, my code is perfect, this cannot happen ...

http://plasmasturm.org/log/6debug/

3. Paratrooping Parrot
    Headmaster

It would be nice to write down what PoC stands for immediately after the first usage it to make readability easier. Thanks. PS. I did find out that it meant "Proof of Concept".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PS Don't you mean postscript?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thought the same, PoC in my world is Piece of Crap.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The daily declaration of Amazon devs ...

https://media.giphy.com/media/LWVn0cCgpRt8Q/giphy.gif

That is all ...

5. sitta_europea Silver badge

If you've ever tried to deal with Amazon on security or fraud you'll know that their arrogant reponse to this is well in character. Presumably it comes down from the top.

I don't bother with them any more, and when they get taken to the cleaners big-time I'll dance a jig.

1. mikeHingley

But... I saw amazon at steelcon... last year - they were giving out webcam lens covers. Shirley they weren't just paying lip service to the importance of security on a consumer product. I mean the cynical amongst us might think that a lens cover plastered with the amazon logo is treating the symptom, and pushing an amazon logo in front of eyeballs - even when the laptop is switched off... As I said - that's what cynical people might think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Your cynical assumption is incorrect

The correct cynical assumption is "do as we say, not as we do..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed,

I gave up trying to alert Amazon about all the fraud/scam sites being hosted on Cloudfront.

I always got the same sh*tty attitude as was mentioned.

(if I got any response at all)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rich don't want advice

Were to big and to smart to look at your little hacks. Just shut up cows, and buy from us.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like