back to article UK PM Theresa May orders review of online abuse laws in suffrage centenary speech

UK Prime Minister Theresa May has ordered a review of British laws governing online communications in her latest shot at big tech firms. In a speech today marking the centenary of at least some women gaining the right to vote in Blighty, May will say that public debate is "coarsening" with a lot of this troubling behaviour …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Bad Behaviour has Always Been There

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party are campaigning to lower the voting age to 5, as that represents the behaviour of MPs in debates.

2. H in The Hague

"Debate may be "coarsening" due to their own behaviour and examples."

Wish I could upvote you more than once!

3. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

I could not agree more. Of course political debate is coarsening when the politicians themselves behave like toddlers fighting over the last biscuit, hurling insults at one another and all the public school boys desperate to keep the riff raff out of their old boys club at any cost.

While I'm not saying that every, or indeed any, insult hurled online is justified, they can't pretend that it's the only problem. While insults hurled online are a problem, there is a simple way to avoid them as a minority MP - don't go on facebook / twitter / whatever. What you sadly can't avoid are the "civil" servants or career MP's from privilaged public school backgrounds in whitehall who still think that "poofter" is appropriate language, and all the rest that I won't list. Online abuse is relatively easy to avoid. Workplace abuse, sadly, is not.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So to summarise, the Prime Minister said today:

"I'd like to celebrate this day, where we started to redress the imbalance in women's rights by using this event as a platform to argue why you should have your rights and internet freedoms removed".

Well done there, Pry Minister - is there anything you can't use to push your own agenda? Why not consider the root cause of why people are so hacked off with politicians in the first place?

Treat the cause of the disease, not the symptoms.

1. Unep Eurobats
          WTF?

Er, we're talking about hate speech, not interrupting someone.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Coat

Er, we're talking about hate speech, not interrupting someone.

I hate being interrupted, don't you?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Er, we're talking about hate speech, not interrupting someone."

Define hate speech?

Is calling someone like Katie Hopkins "A nasty narcissistic piece of scum, who contribution to society would have been greatly improved if she had never be born" hate speech or the truth?

Lets not even start on Murdoch.

1. James 139

Re: It would appear...

Either way, it will be forbidden under the overly draconian and knee jerk changes that get made to appease the thin skinned.

It is quite definitely one thing to be rude or even offensive towards something someone has done or said, but quite another to make death threats or harass someone just for who they are.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. tiggity Silver badge

@Shadmeister

"and you just cannot determine what they are actually trying to say."

A safe bet is just to assume they are lying or at best evading the question, that's usually the case.

6. John Lilburne

Debate may be "coarsening" due to their own behaviour and examples.

Rarely though do they say to their opponent "Bitch I'm going to rape you until you are dead."

1. Allan George Dyer
          Pirate

Are the standards of behaviour of politicians really "declining", are they "coarsening"? The red lines on the floor between the Government and Opposition are two sword lengths apart to prevent over-exicited MPs whipping out their weapons in the pursuit of immediate satisfaction from other members.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How the fuck...

...did we end up with Mary Whitehouse for prime minister? And her cabinet of imbeciles and narcissistic buffoons are no better.

Presumably that's the sort of comment the confused old dear wishes to see banned from the internet.

3. Mr Dogshit

Maybe she should focus on WHY people are angry, frustrated and downright livid.

1. phuzz Silver badge

She did, and then realised she'd have to make a speech blaming the internet to try and deflect the blame away from her.

2. big_D Silver badge

There is a difference to being angry and livid and calling for people to rape or kill other people...

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

There's also a difference between a serious threat and an edgelord using anything that will get a reaction.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

'edge' Lord,....

.... indeed. It's quite easy to deal with death threats received via the Internet. Ignore them. The kid that made said threat won't pass their driving test for several years, so won't be able to come find you.

I got some death threats in the early days of the Web. How I laughed.

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: 'edge' Lord,....

"It's quite easy to deal with death threats received via the Internet. Ignore them."

For most of us, that's true.

However, for public figures (MPs, Royals, Celebs) these threats aren't always throwaway insults by "kids [who] won't pass their driving test for several years, so won't be able to come find you." It's not long since an MP was stabbed in the street by one of her constituents. If they do just ignore them and something happens....

Also, MPs are supposed to be listening to the public*. They should be readin through comments made. If a fair number are abusive, they can't just abandon reading the comment thread as they may miss "important" information. They can't even just delete their online profiles, as most of us could if faced with large numbers of threats or abusive comments.

Finally, it's very easy to say "just ignore it". However, unless you've been the victim of "bullying" you don't know how this affects you (and even then, you can't know how it will affect someone else). After a while you start to believe what's being said about you. It can have a massive effect on your mental health, with knock on effects to your physical wellbeing.

* I say supposed to. I will not comment on how well they perform in this task...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

My MP just made up her own 'death threats'...

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"t's not long since an MP was stabbed in the street by one of her constituents."

Did Thomas Mair threaten Joe Cox via social media before he murdered her? Nope, so death threats via social media and actual murders would not appear to have any relation. Can we think of any real life cases where social media threats have been carried out? Quite the opposite I think, only recently some far right numpty was prevented from carrying out an atrocity at an LGBT event because he blurted his intentions on social media.

1. scrubber
                Joke

"Can we think of any real life cases where social media threats have been carried out?"

Didn't that one guy blow up Robin Hood Airport?

3. Tom 64

> "After a while you start to believe what's being said about you."

I hope so. Hopefully Mrs. May will eventually get the hint that she is in fact a useless PM and should go.

Sadly she has been doing rather well at ignoring this kind of comment.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

"I got some death threats in the early days of the Web. How I laughed."

Keep laughing...one day, I will have my revenge! Ma wah ha ha ha haaaa

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

a difference between a serious threat and an edgelord [getting] a reaction.

Maybe the putuative "edgelord" thinks there is a difference, but it's essentially only in /their/ head. There is rarely any way for the target to be sure which is which.

I'm pretty much of the "just ignore all the nutters and trolls on the internet" school of thought, but if I were a target of multiple death threats, even ones delivered by internet, I might find it difficult just to think "oh, those crazy hedgelords are at it again, ha ha..."

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

She did. The idea is not to mention the suffragettes and to starve the organisations and cebrations of funding so people don't realise they can make a difference.

As she's that much of a one trick pony, when she doesn't want to mention something, she fills the silence with her pet hate, the Internet.

4. veti Silver badge

There are 40 million different reasons for that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theresa May has the classic symptoms...

Of someone who is shit scared of what technology can do, without understanding how any of it works and no intention of bothering to find out. She simply wants it put back in its box, do as I say, attitude.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Theresa May has the classic symptoms...

Pandora's box or nasty things hiding in their Cupboard yearning to see the Light of Day ?

2. handleoclast

Re: Theresa May has the classic symptoms...

Of someone who is shit scared of what technology can do

people who use that technology will be able to say about her.

FTFY

5. Ronome

The false belief in authority she has none only other people play the game, which is all it is.. Till the people grow up and stop trying to get others to rule there life, the madness will keep going...

6. wolfetone Silver badge

This woman has done more to foster a population of hatred than any other PM since Thatcher, and she has the pure audacity to stand there and say that other people/tech companies should be doing more to combat it?

I notice she's not mentioning her friend Paul Dacre's cesspit The Daily Fail as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This woman has done more to foster a population of hatred than any other PM since Thatcher,"

I beg to differ. David Cameron has got an awful lot to answer for. Theresa May being in power being one example...

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Andrea Leadsome has more to do with that then Pig Botherer Dave.

Comments she made during the leadership election along the lines of "women who have never had children don't know what compassion and empathy are" lead to her withdrawing from the "contest". Which then meant Frau May-Bot won by default.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I think Tony Blair wins the 'worst PM since Thatcher' award, and by a comfortable margin.

1. handleoclast

I think Tony Blair wins the 'worst PM since Thatcher' award, and by a comfortable margin.

They were the two worst prime ministers in my memory. And for the same reason. They behaved like dictators, over-riding cabinet with the threat that if they showed disagreement with the PM the party would lose the next election.

Thatcher was definitely the worst of the two. Blair was only in it for himself, wanting to gain stature and go down in history a great statesman (oh, and whatever money he could pocket while doing it). If Blair did something really unpopular he'd reverse course. Thatcher appears to have believed the shit she spouted, so even if what she did was unpopular she'd continue doing it for your own good.

And if that hasn't earned me some downvotes, this probably will...

It has been said of Tony Blair that if somebody managed to somehow convince him that it would enhance his political stature, he'd brutally rape his grandmother live on Breakfast TV. That scurrilous assertion is completely without foundation. Tony could never do such a thing. Both his grandmothers are dead.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
              Coat

I'm not sure that would present an insurmountble obstacle for him.

2. Anonymous Coward
  7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile The Whiteshirts prefer inflicting Physical Abuse

Video clip anyone ?

8. smartypants

Distraction technique

No problems with slurring the civil service

No problems with Davis lying to parliament about the biggest issue in modern times

No problems with wrecking the good friday agreement.

No problems with introducing friction filled trade to destroy manufacturing that relies on JIT flows with the continent.

No problems with attacks on the judiciary and MPs by the editors who tell her what to say

No problems with treating 3 million people like some sort of slave commodity to be bartered

No problems with trying to increase the power of the executive so it can bypass Parliament.

Yes. Let's talk about online abuse. FFS

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The outrage is caused by Theresa 'Stasi' May and her Tory scum cronies

Don't blame the messengers or the communication channel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The outrage is caused by Theresa 'Stasi' May and her Tory scum cronies

I think that comparision is being unfair [to the Stasi].

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The outrage is caused by Stupid Corbyn's Thug Army and his Tax and Waste Scum Scum

Fixed that love letter for you

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd suggest that every politician should be made to visit the Stasi Museum in Berlin*. Except that they might assume that it was a blueprint.

* Sadly, fair command of German desirable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Been there. The place looks like a late 1980's DHSS office.

It's a Teddy Bears' Picnic compared with what we're faced with these days.

10. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The last general election results ...

... are evidence of May's inability to engage politically with voters. (She only remained in power because the other lot are about as clueless.)

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: The last general election results ...

She remained in power because 85% of the media in the UK do not like Labour. So they set about repeatedly beating Dianne Abbot about forgetting/fudging figures over police, yet didn't mention Phil Hammond admitting he had no idea how much HS2 was going to cost, or even had cost at that time. (He was being "interviewed" by Andrew Marr).

One isn't in Government, and the other is in Government and sets the agenda. Tell me which figure recollection faux pas was worse?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like