back to article Rubrik swallows Datos IO, shuffles in distributed DB backup

Extremely well-funded startup Rubrik has bought distributed database backer-up and fellow startup Datos IO. Datos IO's semantic deduplication RecoverX technology has been applied to protecting big data file systems, such as Hadoop, cloud-native data sources and distributed NoSQL databases. It recently extended its technology …

1. handleoclast

L-F-R-U-D-L-R-U-F

Is a town in Wales. Except you mis-spelled it. Your version has too many vowels.

2. ratfox
    Headmaster

FYI: you're thinking of Rubik, not Rubrik

The post is required, and must contain letters.

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: FYI: you're thinking of Rubik, not Rubrik

I (mis)read the headline as "Rubik swallows Davros"...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reading the comments

I see how well the acquisition resonated.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rubrik Series B & C in 2016: 102M

Rubrik Series D in 2017: 180M

Investing in data protection masterminds Kevin Durant / Ice Cube: 25M

Realizing the need to buy another company to fill fundamental product & vision gaps when already 295M+ in the hole. Priceless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fire sale! Why not?

CEO Sinha wasn't interested in the narrow market Datos was trying to address. Enterprise world is very slow in adopting such technology. Most likely Datos ran out of money. If something is cheap, why not buy it? Whether the gamble is wise, time will tell. But Rubrik has lot of cash in bank and can afford to make such gamble.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fire sale! Why not?

Understood, but in a startup this cash raised from VCs is needed badly to sustain growth & fulfill the vision until profitability 3-5 years from now. Else you get a Violin, or Tintri disaster.

Using venture funding for an aquisition is very different than say VMware or Cisco swallowing another startup with their gobs of cash earned the hard way not borrowed.

Whether this happens because Sinha works for Lightspeed and can rob peter to pay paul who knows but my guess is he just got a big check on his own buyout!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fire sale! Why not?

That was my first reaction when I found out about the sale. This type of acquisition is how startups fail here in the valley. Very similar to Nutanix acquiring PernixData.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like