back to article Morrisons launches bizarre Yorkshire Pudding pizza thing

Brit supermarket chain Morrisons has sacked 1,500 middle managers – but fear not, they’ve also vomited out an unholy creation that is part pizza, part Yorkshire pudding. The 6½” thing is made by filling an oversized Yorkie Pud with tomato sauce, cheese and typical pizza toppings. A photo of this strangely alluring monstrosity …

Page:

1. Aaiieeee
    Angel

With toffee sauce of course - its even in the picture in the article.

1. macjules

Does not go far enough

For the discerning palate there are several suggestions:

Starter:

Yorkshire pudding with white truffle oil

Sanguinaccio con cipole (black pudding with onions to you)

Brie and mushroom stuffed Yorkshire pudding

Main:

Yorkshire pudding Italiano with Winkles Vongole

Yorkshire pudding Italiano

Roasted vegetable quiche with a Yorkshire pudding batter crust

Dessert Menu:

Yorkshire pudding profiterole with chocolate sauce

Caramelised plum Yorkshire puddings

Deep Fried Mars bar Yorkshire pudding with Irn Brew dipping sauce (most popular with Scottish visitors)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. kmac499

Toffee sauce pah...

The only ethnically approved condiment for Yorkshire Pud is Hendersons Relish made in Sheffield.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
        Unhappy

Hendersons Relish

Now living in South Wales, I have to rely on Christmas gift supplies of Henderson's from well-loved rellies. Apparently this year it wasn't available at the usual outlet and my stock is running dangerously low.

Time for a trip back oop north, methinks.

M.

1. BongoJoe

Thankfully one can now get it online.

1. onefang

Do they deliver to Australia? Purely for my own education to the delights of Yorkshire pudding.

1. jake Silver badge

onefang

Make your own. It's not rocket science.

Couple pointers: Ignore the herbage suggestion. Bung all the batter ingredients into a blender and spin until smooth. Use a 10" to 12" cast iron skillet instead of the recommended pan. Thinner batter is better, closer to crepe than pancake. An extra egg and less milk will provide more lift. Adjust salt levels according to dripping seasoning. If you have no dripping, any high smoke-point oil will work (duck fat makes a spectacular variation ... canola or peanut oil, not so much). If it fails, feed the result to the dog and try again (trial and error is inexpensive!).

The pizza bit for a filling I'll leave to your own warped mind. Personally, I find the concept to horrifying to dwell on for any length of time.

1. onefang

Re: onefang

"Make your own. It's not rocket science.

"Couple pointers: Ignore the herbage suggestion. Bung all the batter ingredients into a blender and spin until smooth. Use a 10" to 12" cast iron skillet instead of the recommended pan. Thinner batter is better, closer to crepe than pancake. An extra egg and less milk will provide more lift. Adjust salt levels according to dripping seasoning. If you have no dripping, any high smoke-point oil will work (duck fat makes a spectacular variation ... canola or peanut oil, not so much). If it fails, feed the result to the dog and try again (trial and error is inexpensive!)."

And then you make it sound like rocket science.

1. jake Silver badge

That sounds like rocket science to you? To me, it's standard operating procedure!

Cooking is one of the most important, and easy, hacks that good old HomoSap has invented. All it is is simple applied chemistry. Why the huge resistance to learning to cook in this forum, anyway? My mind absolutely boggles.

1. Mark 85

Why the huge resistance to learning to cook in this forum, anyway? My mind absolutely boggles.

It must be a bunch of newbies who never read Lester's creations which usually were pretty darn good. Damn I miss the Post Pub Nosh....

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Coat

Sounds nasty...And yet....

Oddly compelling.

3. Jamesyt

Mmmmm

This post about a Yorkshire pudding pizza made me register an account to post. I am going to have to make one of these myself and see how it tastes!

1. wallaby

Re: Mmmmm

Pub near me used to do three course meals in yorkies

The sticky toffee pudding and custard was a hit mmmm

Thankfully the soup starter came in a bowl though

4. Bigmarks

Oversized tapuds

So these are oversized tapuds. My local cricket club invented these - essentially Mini Yorkshire Puddings with fillings creating a Yorkshire Pudding tapas fest. Pie and peas was one of the better ones - meatball plus mushy peas mmmm delicious.

Not sure that combo would work as well with the large M puddings though.

They should try something different, Ethan's fruit cocktail and custard?

2. Neil McCauley
    Angel

Missing a crucial step

It needs to be deep fried in batter and served with chips.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Missing a crucial step

If it were up to me, you'd get all the prizes.

Might need to stop by Morrisons and then go to a chippy I know is happy to batter random shit

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Might need to stop by Morrisons and then go to a chippy I know is happy to batter random shit

You missed a step. In order for pizza to deep fry successfully it needs to be deep frozen first.

Despite the fact that even a bit of this will kill me courtesy of my coeliac methabolism, I put down as "eat it as I am deviant". Out of principle. I wish I could though :) Especially the deep fried version for the sheer perversity of it.

2. Scroticus Canis
      Childcatcher

Your forgetting the slices of Mars Bar!

3. tonkei

Don't you mean served with chips and THEN deep fried?

1. 080

"Don't you mean served with chips and THEN deep fried?"

or the gourmet version, Poutine

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

They've also got to be proper chips fried in lard - not those revolting 'fries'.

4. gotes

Deep fried battered batter?

3. Individual #6/42

Truly international

Fill remaining space with doner kebab meat and garnish with 1/4 tomato and chilli sauce. Serve with that beer that you keep meaning to try but it sounds horrible so you had a few pints of proper beer first to give yourself a run up.

Alka-seltzer for dessert.

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Headmaster

Re: Truly international

In WW II American soldiers in Italy invented the Pizza Americana.

Seems Iglo stopped making their Pizza Burger, but The Pizzaburger must be real German innovation, with BBQ Chicken on top.

https://www.oetker.nl/nl-nl/onze-producten/pizza/pizzaburger/bbq-chicken.html

4. lee harvey osmond
    1. GreggS

Re: They're copying Greggs, that's all

I had nothing to do with it, honest guv.

2. Vector

More like Chicago.

Here in the states, we'd call that a Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Been around for ages.

1. Phil Endecott

> Here in the states, we'd call that a Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Been around for ages.

I get the impression you son't know what Yorkshire Pudding is.

Hint: it's not remotely bread-like.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Hint: it's not remotely bread-like."

Is pizza these days?

Our canteen lady back in Belfast came up with a sort of Irish pizza using a soda farl as the base.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Hint, no the Chicago guy is right, I was offered a similar offence in Detroit. The distinction between pizza base and Yorkshire pudding is irrelevant. The Detroit deep pizza was like a felt tub fiiled with a sort of fondue*.

I applaud Morrisons for their audacity, but just as the USA has proved that you can’t improve a Neapolitan pizza, a Yorkshire pudding is a pinnacle of perfection, best eaten straight.

For the record, I’ve had a sublime pizza cooked by Italians in a Brooklyn carry out.

*It’s not what we’d call cheese either, more like silly string without the taste.

USA cooks need to look beyond Unix and ponder the true meaning of “less is more”.

1. PNGuinn
            Devil

Re: They're copying Greggs, that's all @Jan 0

Re unix:

The Morrisons Yorkizza - The systemd of Pizza (or Yorkshire Pud)

Reckon It'd boot faster - rather get booted faster - right inter'd bin.

Now our dad ...

2. katrinab Silver badge

I suppose it does look a bit like a Chicago pizza, but it won't taste anything like one. Yorkshire pudding is a bit like a very thick savoury pancake, and tastes nothing like bread.

5. Aladdin Sane

Use 2 of them as the foundation of a sandwich, with roast beef and mustard in the middle.

1. Oh Homer
      Windows

Or just...

Put the yorkie itself into a sarnie, and make a yorkie pizza butty.

Don't forget to fry one side of each doorstop in lard first, reet propa like.

Also, there can be only one topping for a yorkie pizza ... black pudding, of course!

6. The Jon

Mum's gone to Iceland

A side order of the fabled Chicken Tikka Lasagne?

1. Blofeld's Cat
      Coat

Re: Mum's gone to Iceland

May I suggest the Chicken Tarka - it's 'otter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Chicken and Otter in a curry? Sounds delightful!

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Chicken and Otter in a curry? Sounds delightful!

Hmm.. is otter kosher?

1. jake Silver badge

I called Marten, a rabbi friend of mine, and although normally he's a stoat fellow, he tried to weasel out of this question. After badgering him about it, he minkly admitted "Actually, no. Otter isn't kosher. But then it was considered a fish when the list was drawn up, so I'd take that with a grain of salt." ... I knew I could ferret out an answer.

1. x 7

sounds like he's a Glutton for food

2. Pen-y-gors

Bought a haggis lasagne from a butcher in Dumfries a while back. I like Lasagne, I love Haggis but that was a fusion too far.

7. TRT Silver badge

I would give it a go...

but just the once, probably.

And I'd eat it as the creator intended, first of all, then I'd probably have to top it off with a mix of Tabasco sauce and HP sauce to disguise the flavour.

8. msknight

I don't think I'd eat it...

...but it would be useful for an experiment in space... to see if it collapses to a thin crust...

9. CAPS LOCK

A nice Chianti and some Fava beans, natch...

...although i can't imagine a real Doctor Lecter using the adjective nice.

10. Florida1920
    Headmaster

it’s the first Sunday of February, which would make it the fifth this year.

Actually, that would be the fourth. I'll take a BOFH mug, please.

1. The Jon

Re: it’s the first Sunday of February, which would make it the fifth this year.

Fourth of February, but fifth Sunday in 2018.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Oh look at you Mr.La-De-Dah calendar botherer.

3. Warm Braw

the fifth this year

I was trying to work out how there had already been 4 first Sundays of February...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I was trying to work out how there had already been 4 first Sundays of February..."

Or that this was the fifth year that it had been observed.

Definitely a Turing test for AI.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon