back to article E8 prises software away from its arrays to run on Dell, HPE, Lenovo kit

NVMe-over-Fabrics all-flash array shipper E8 is selling its software separately to be run on certified hardware from Dell, HPE and Lenovo. An E8 storage system uses NVMe-over-fabrics to hook up servers, running E8 host agents, across Ethernet to an E8 storage controller full of NVMe SSDs. The E8 storage controller is a 2U, 24 …

1. Nate Amsden

no Epyc

Sort of interesting to see such a startup seemingly not wanting to use the new AMD server chips with their massive PCIe lanes for the NVMe connections. Looking at Intel's site the E8 recommended CPU has only 12 cores/ 48 lanes (I am far from an expert but have read in many cases several lanes on Intel systems are provided by the chipset not by the CPU and thus is far less ideal performance wise).

I'd almost wager having a single 32 core 128-lane Epyc CPU with 128 lanes would be far better than two 12 core / 48 lane chips.

Epyc doesn't particularly excite me personally for my vmware workloads, but for NVMe storage systems it sounds pretty ideal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like