back to article Are you taking the peacock? United Airlines deny flight to 'emotional support' bird

An artist was left spitting feathers after United Airlines told her she couldn't board a plane with her "emotional support" peacock. In a video published by travel site JetSet, the woman is seen wheeling her case across the departures hall in Newark airport, New Jersey, with the large bird perched atop her shoulder, as …

Page:

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The real question

The real question is: How much ad revenue did this "artist" collect?

This has all the hallmarks of a youtuber stunt done to collect revenue.

1. Steve K

Re: The real question

Yes - I am sure that this tale will expand alarmingly to reveal more detail

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

The 'revealing part' was in another article in the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/peacock-emotional-support-animal-dexter-flight-barred-artists-ventiko-newark-los-angeles-united-a8186671.html

Where 'Ventiko' is seen posing nude with said Peacock. So yes, she's using the usual nudity and controversy angle for self promotion.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Where 'Ventiko' is seen posing nude

Ughh... where is the bleach to remove some of the pics from my cerebral cortex.

There are two birds in them - one is pretty, the other one err... not so much. I am leaving the guess on which one is which as an "exercise to the reader".

By the way the Independent was trying to be stroppy about collecting its revenue share (don't we all love these [scam] artists). Looking at how much sh**** was in blocked by noscript + adblock they can f*** off.

The Indy is pretty unusable with adblock, you can't reply to comments with it switched on. If their journalism was decent I'd enable adverts, but their science and tech is shamefully poor, all written by journalism grads who know nothing about anything technical.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...their science and tech is shamefully poor, all written by journalism grads who know nothing about anything technical....

It's funny that people who support the political opinions of a newspaper never complain about the 'Opinion' sections - even though the level of competence shown in such discussion is very low amongst ALL the major newspapers - both Left and Right,,,

Steady on, I for one didn't say I had no problem with the opinion pieces. I was merely replying in the context of technical articles.

I have plenty of problems with 'opinion' pieces, although usually with the Grauniad and the Telegraph, because they take themselves far too seriously.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

but their science and tech is shamefully poor, all written by journalism grads who know nothing about anything technical

Even worse that Rory "All I need to learn about technology I learnt from reading Apple Press Releases" Cellan-Jones?

My missus tells me off for growling at the screen when he's on.

2. David Gosnell

Image in Independent article, linked above

Doesn't that technically count as fellatio?

Re: Image in Independent article, linked above

IIRC an episode of QI correctly, goose neck was once written about as the best thing to wipe one's bum with.

So in short, I have no idea what's going on.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Yes - I am sure that this tale will expand alarmingly to reveal more detail

The more eyes on the subject, the better!

(PS: having stayed in a holiday cottage with peacocks and peahens all around the place, I can confirm that a) they wake up unfeasably early and b) they make a noise like a chicken being strangled which leads one to wonder if a peacock being throttled after it wakes you up at 5am makes the same noise..)

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

How much ad revenue did this "artist" collect?

You mean "feather her nest"?

2. Aladdin Sane

Call me a cynic

But what's the betting that she did this for the free publicity?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Call me a cynic

But what's the betting

I think you'd struggle to find a bookie that would give you any odd on that..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

""emotional support" peacock"? Sorry but that just doesn't fly with me.

1. Christoph

Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Pint

Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane

you deserve a beer!

I can think of other 'emotional support' animals that would be equally disruptive...

a) rattlesnake

b) albatross

c) tazmanian devil

d) marlin

Re: Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane

I can think of other 'emotional support' animals that would be equally disruptive

You missed a few:

e) Troupe of howler monkeys

f) Siberian Tiger (thorn in the paw is optional)

g) Grizzly bear that's just woken up from hibernation..

1. Updraft102

Re: Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane

Honey badger.

It would make a great emotional support companion... just follow its example about things that scare you.

2. Rich 11

Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane?

It'd only be allowed aboard if it had come from Lockheed Skunkworks.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    WTF?

I'm sure her comfort animal would be welcome on a train. In the baggage compartment.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
      Trollface

Re: NoneSuch

"I'm sure her comfort animal would be welcome on a train. In the baggage compartment."

or the galley...

1. Aladdin Sane

Apparently it tastes like turkey.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It does. Swan tastes of Golden Eagle too...

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Apparently it tastes like turkey.

I was under the impression it was more like pheasant, since peafowl are basically larger, noisier, messier and more aggressive pheasants.

5. EveryTime

17 hours gets you halfway across the country?

If you can do that, you aren't taking a leisurely pace. Time to enter the 2904

http://www.the2904.org/

As for the main story, while the airlines probably didn't surreptitiously sponsor this, they certainly are cheering on this story. Free-riding "emotional support animals" cost them time, effort and potential revenue. Last month's dog attack on Delta is giving all of the airlines an opportunity and excuse to tighten the rules.

And really, we all agree that the vast majority of "emotional support animals" are simply pets owned by self-centered people. They aren't in the same category of extensively trained service animals.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Back in the 1970s a youngster said he had driven Jo'burg to Cape Town in 12 hours***. Owing to the Arab petrol restrictions at the time - the maximum speed limit had been reduced to 50mph. He said the various local town traffic police never caught him because they were not expecting someone to fly past their stationary vehicles at that speed.

*** distance about 1200 miles - mostly on a pretty much dead straight road across a flat plateau with sparse populations.

1. emmanuel goldstein

I used to regularly drive Cape Town to Jo'burg and it's more like 850 miles. 12 hours is still very, very quick though!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] and it's more like 850 miles"

Maybe he took the scenic route :-)

Must admit I didn't check my memory of the quoted distance. I only ever did it by plane.

2. Mark 85

Go back in time the infamous "Cannonball Run"....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Baker_Sea-To-Shining-Sea_Memorial_Trophy_Dash

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

"They aren't in the same category of extensively trained service animals."

ack - but try telling THAT to an S.J.W. that *FEELS* that all corporations (especially airlines) are evil entities that deserve to be punished... by THEM... at EVERY opportunity, no matter WHO gets inconvenienced.

@BB

Give it a rest eh? Your class war stchick is getting even more boring than usual.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: BB

No, I don't want him too, although I disagree with BB on some things, YOU are not the arbiter of what's acceptable on here or did BB hurt YOUR "inside sjw"?

After all, you were clearly triggered.

6. Andytug

Poor choice

They are by some way the stupidest bird in the world, they make pheasants look intelligent.

1. kain preacher

Re: Poor choice

They are also mean.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and very noisy. We spent a fitful night at Portmeirion when they had peacocks wandering about the place. I gather they don't have them now.

1. Mage Silver badge

Like tortured cats. Not pleasant to have on your roof at 2AM.

The pea "hen" lays decent eggs, but is rather protective of them.

Think swans, but really really noisy, egotistical and stupid.

Guinea fowl are dumb too.

Rooks may not be pretty, but very very much smarter.

Rooks may not be pretty, but very very much smarter

Rooks are corvids - which automatically makes them the top strata of bird intelligence.

Tasty too - as my dad used to attest.

1. Updraft102

Rooks are corvids - which automatically makes them the top strata of bird intelligence.

Tasty too - as my dad used to attest.

Taking the "eat crow" thing a bit literally, ya?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge

I used to work near Scripps Ranch in San Diego, where there were a large number of peacocks. You could hear them sometimes in the parking lot, "Ar,AH!, Ar,AH!". I only live a few miles from there, and one day I saw a pea-hen on top of someone's car. The owners were trying to get it to come down. I guess it flew the ~10 miles from there (or maybe it was from the zoo, which is a little closer) and just landed on that car for no good reason, and just sat there. Those birds are HUGE.

2. Dr Dan Holdsworth

I would second this.

I heard a tale of a peacock sold by one farmer to another neighbouring farm. Periodically the peacock would decide to "go home", and would set off across the fields.

It would be found, stuck in the same too-narrow gap in the same hedge every single time. It never learned not to enter tight holes in hedges, and it never remembered that that particular hedge was the problem.

Truly, peacocks are incredibly thick birds!

1. Andytug

We had a large number of greenhouses behind our house, the peacocks from the house up the road would regularly walk along the guttering then fall through the glass and have to be chased out.

Throwing things at them doesn't work, they are too stupid. Any other bird sees the movement of your arm going back and takes flight. A peacock watches the stone go past it and looks at it as if to say "oh look, a stone". They also don't move for cars at all, until you're practically touching its head with the bumper.

Add the noise and why anyone thinks they're wrrth having is beyond me!

3. nsld

Going to have to disagree as I have the 'joy' of both a flock of peafowl and live on a shooting estate with loads of pheasants.

The peafowl are streets ahead of the pheasants in intelligence terms.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

By stupid bird, are you referring to the "artist" or the peafowl???

7. adam payne

A peacock as a comfort animal? sorry but this has publicity stunt written all over it.

8. macjules

People Eating Tasting Comfort Animals?

I frequently enjoy "comfort animals" on board a flight, usually accompanied with a glass or two of wine and seasonal vegetables on the side. Never had peacock as an option though.

1. Eddy Ito
      Thumb Up

Re: People Eating Tasting Comfort Animals?

Ah, coq au vin. An excellent choice.

2. spold Silver badge

Re: People Eating Tasting Comfort Animals?

Here you go https://aussiehunter.org/simple-easy-dinner-recipes/game-bird-recipes/roast-peacock-recipe/

It's an Australian link so make sure you have your Peacock the right way up.

p.s. give it a good stuffing first

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brian don't...

The bird is the word!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon