back to article Pour yourself a tall one, Juniper investors. It's lost money again

Juniper Networks has announced a drop in revenue for Q4 2017 and predicted Q1 2018 will disappoint. In the fourth quarter, the company turned in a US$148.1 million loss on revenue of $1,239.5, which was down 11 per cent compared to a year ago. In a CFO commentary [PDF] the company's blamed “architectural shifts in the cloud” …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"revenue [..] was down 11 per cent compared to a year ago."

But. . but . . Cloud is everywhere ! Entire IT departments are being axed because everything is in the Cloud ! Soon we'll all be working on terminals wirelessly connected to it !

How can this be ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "revenue [..] was down 11 per cent compared to a year ago."

"In the fourth quarter, the company turned in a US$148.1 million loss on revenue of $1,239.5, which was down 11 per cent compared to a year ago."

If that's their revenue I'd say they're in very serious trouble!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's a shame. I greatly prefer JunOS to Cisco IOS. Well, to be fair, I haven't worked in Cisco products for 7 or 8 years. Anything change much in that environment from a layer 2 and 3 perspective? Anyway, I have no financial ties to JunOS other than as a happy cog in the wheel of a largish Corporation.

4. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

Financial Vs Product engineering?

The Trump tax plan means Juniper will repatriate $3bn, which it will spend on acquisitions, business investment, “return of capital to shareholders” (by way of a $2bn share buyback) – oh, and there's a hint of more layoffs in the works, with a threat/promise to “increase operational efficiencies” through the year.

How about investing the money in new products that customers want to buy. If they did that then maybe revenues would rise in the longer term.

More of this please -->

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Financial Vs Product engineering?

"How about investing the money in new products that customers want to buy. If they did that then maybe revenues would rise in the longer term."

Juniper already makes a fulll lineup of routers and switches. What more do they need? It might be better for them to kill some of the more differentiated products, and focus on getting better margins on the higher volume general purpose products.

Cisco, particularly is overly differentiated. How many 1U switch models do they have? It has to be more than 30. How many different switch stacking technologies are they maintaining? Three that I know of.

5. Bitsminer Silver badge

Arista is eating their lunch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like