back to article Mobile point of sale gets a PCI security standard

The advent of mobile point-of-sale (MPOS) systems has been a boon for consumers and retailers of modest means, but the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council's security wonks worried that they can't adhere to the strict hardware standards that merchants' credit card merchant terminals. Hence the announcement [PDF] of …

1. wyatt

These devices have been around for some time now and they're only just documenting a standard? I think they also forget who they're targeting their literature to, most people who use these devices won't understand what's been documented. A summary document without acronyms would go some way to assist this.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Too late

Any standard this late is just going to document current practice, whether it's good or bad.

1. wyatt

Re: Too late

That might well be the case, otherwise it'd make the devices fall foul of the 'standard' and suddenly a revenue stream would dry up for the suppliers. Can't see that going down well.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well well, the corruption does on and up

Oh that really going to work! with your average Andriod app wanting access to almost everything on the "mobile device" how can you protect PCI. Its a bit like a PCI terminal with a "capture device" attached.

Why does my Compass app need accesseto my contact list, pictures, data files and phone??

Waze the problem with me playing flappy birds?

You cant just bolt on security and expect it to do a good job, it should be baked into the design from the get-go.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon