back to article WhitTVman to head mobile-first media platform

Outgoing Hewlett Packard Enterprise chief Meg Whitman is stepping out of tech and into the big chair at a "mobile-first media platform" startup. Whitman, who spent the past six-and-a-bit years dismantling HP, will grab the controls at NewTV from 1 March, a business started by Dreamworks co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg. "Meg is …

1. Neil Alexander

Some new things for her to dismantle!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one of the most accomplished and sought-after executives of our time

As in she has accomplished the dismantling of industry icons into shadow of their former selves, and that executives really hope she will work for one of their rivals so as to remove some competition from the marketplace?

3. Florida1920

Take the money and run

Like all the other tech titans who crashed their corporations, she'll get paid regardless of whether this silly venture succeeds or not. She, Melissa and Carly should form a band, The Alchemists. "We turn gold into shite."

4. Lysenko

The ambition is for NewTV, based in Los Angeles, to produce ten-minute or less Hollywood style productions for viewing on a portable device.

Mugabe Meg going head to head with youtube with the killer innovation being "Hollywood production values"??? Hahahaha. You can tell they've legalised weed in CA. Find her something where she can use her "particular set of skills" beneficially - a senior position in the coal or tobacco industry, for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, I think she'll fit right in based on an observation I made in a previous comment thread:

Having read some of the various claim/counter-claim documents in the HP vs. Autonomy spat I still can't get over the description of the high level "Executive Committee" meetings: "Ms Whitman ... repeatedly adopted the management approach of ... playing country music to the meeting instructing the senior executives attending to take the meaning of the country music songs and apply them to their own management methods".

1. Lysenko

instructing the senior executives attending to take the meaning of the country music songs and apply them to their own management methods

Ah. I always wondered what Meg's "MBA" stood for. "Muskogee Ballad Appreciation". Got it.

5. peterm3
    Unhappy

She has built and scaled some of the most important global companies today

Euphemism for downsizing?

1. Miss Lincolnshire

Created 14,770 PayPal jobs. Destroyed 256,000 HP jobs

Saying she has "built and scaled some of the most important global companies today" is not the most balanced assessment of her record, It's a bit like focussing on "verucca removal" as representative of Harold Shipman's primary skillset.

2. Steve K

"Scaled" could be either way, I suppose

It said "scaled" but not the direction.....

6. 2Nick3

How do you downsize a startup?

Going from 50 to 20 employees really doesn't work at that scale, does it?

7. missingegg

Paypal?

I imagine the board of directors at Ebay will be very surprised to learn about Whitman's work at PayPal.

1. Steve K

Re: Paypal?

Probably not as it was they who made the decision to spin PayPal off from Ebay in 2013...

8. Androgynous Cow Herd

2 BEELLIONN??

For a webshort production company??

I agree...Now that we have legal pot, the craziest crap comes out of Sillycon valley.

A fool and his money is some party.

9. Hans 1
    Coffee/keyboard

Made my day!

Whitman, who spent the past six-and-a-bit years dismantling HP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like