back to article 'There was no monetary incentive for this' = not what you want to hear about your tattoo

A database admin liked Brit database tools biz Redgate Software so much that he decided to become a walking billboard and get the company logo tattooed on his arm. Fast forward nine years and his world imploded. Sort of. Rodney Landrum sporting the old logo We will pay for its removal, marketing peeps told the admin... …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not being a sailor, I don't really get tattoos anyway, but this guy is clearly off his rocker.

Tattoo-gun-wielders should be required to turn people away who are clearly insane.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Tattoo-gun-wielders should be required to turn people away who are clearly insane.

What makes you believe that they will remain in business if they do?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sanity is relative.

I knew a woman who got uncontrollably excited whenever she got tattooed, so she married a tattooist. Sensible choice if you ask me.

1. Michael Thibault

"I knew a woman who got uncontrollably excited whenever she got tattooed, so she married a tattooist. Sensible choice if you ask me."

The empire of the senses; no edges, but it's finite.

Unfortunately, he's doomed forever to bringing his work home with him. Not so sensible a choice for him.

2. Edwin

what about

The Mersenne prime?

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: what about

I thought it was their (US local) phone number when I first saw it, but they list an 866 toll free number on their site.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

He should just have gone with int.MaxValue

2. RickMartin

Maximum value of a 32 bit integer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,147,483,647#In_computing

1. petethebloke

I didn't look closely - I just assumed it was his prison number. I used to teach HTML in one of Her Maj's institutions and will forever associate tattoos with baseball caps, rollies, big muscles and bad complexions.

3. Simon Harris
      IT Angle

"The Mersenne prime?" - assuming that was his intention.

Or he might have future-proofed his ink better if instead of having 2147483647 tattooed on his arm, he'd had MAXINT (or the appropriate symbolic representation in his favorite language) tattooed instead.

When 64-bit ints become ubiquitous, I don't fancy his tattooist having to rub that out and replace it with 9223372036854775807.

1. Simon Harris
        Facepalm

When you discover that in the time between

last refreshing and pressing Submit everyone

else has made the same comment ---------------------------->

2. find users who cut cat tail

> When 64-bit ints become ubiquitous

Which will be... about ten years ago?

Sure, if you see C int it is most likely to be 32bit. But 64bit ints are ubiquitous (except on microcontrollers, but there your integers can be even smaller than 32 bits).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not much of a tatoo

3. Aladdin Sane
    Pint

Good on Redgate

Have a beer.

4. wolfetone Silver badge
    Headmaster

"True to his word, Galbraith agreed to pay for the new version of the tramp stamp to be placed alongside the old one."

Pardon me, but a "tramp stamp" is a tattoo located on the lower back, just above the bottom.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Pardon me, but a "tramp stamp" is a tattoo located on the lower back, just above the bottom.

I thought those were "arse antlers" ?

1. Paul Kunert

Mea culpa. You'd have thought a man from Croydon would know this... but it seems your correspodant needs to brush up on this particular sub-culture. Best, Paul @ The Reg

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I thought those were "arse antlers" ?

Well if you want to be all politically correct ....

2. Spacedinvader

I thought it was a tat on the back of the neck. Oh well, TIL

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>but a "tramp stamp" is a tattoo located on the lower back, just above the bottom.

Does it include a barcode or QR code? Just in case..

5. deadlockvictim

wow (in surprise and exasperation)

The title says it all really.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"El Reg just hopes Oracle doesn’t buy Redgate because Landrum might then be accused of copyright theft and that only ever ends well."

It'd cost him an arm and a leg.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

For that old tat?

7. Seanmon

Tit.

That is all.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coat

Re: Tit.

You should have gone with tit-for-tat :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking at the quality of his tattoos, I think its refreshing to see that there are opportunities for the blind/partially-sighted in the tattooing industry.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've got a tattoo of Ajit Pai on my backside, you can see it if you look between the cheeks.

1. NewX
      Coat

best tattoo per George Carlin

The word "Mom" on the backside, with the sphincter serving as the "o"...

After receiving a great BJ simply raise knees to chest to indicate "Wow"

10. Swiss Anton

Life changes, tattoos don't

I've never understood why people get tats, for starters there is the pain.

Then there is fact that in ten years time "I luv Tracy" doesn't seem so cool now that you're married to Trevor (and for the record it was actually Tracey with an e!)

As for those who get some unintelligible script tattooed down the side of their torso, (Mr Beckham?). What if, despite the tattoo artist saying it meant "We all live in harmony", it actually said "I'm a F*****g T**t"?

Maybe a simple "Mum" would safe. Well yes, that is until the day you bludgeon her to death in an attempt to inherit her fortune. After that, having "Mum" tattooed on your upper arm might be a problem.

Please don't do it, buy a dog instead. Whilst a dog isn't just for Christmas, it isn't for life (hopefully) .

1. FlossyThePig

Re: Life changes, tattoos don't

Standing in a queue at the checkout of a supermarket in Italy the woman in front of me had the two words "seriously moody" tattooed on the back of her neck.

1. Anonymous IV
        Thumb Up

> the woman in front of me had the two words "seriously moody" tattooed on the back of her neck

In blue ink, I hope?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Anton has a point: those tattoos have really held back Mr Beckham's otherwise promising career and rendered him unattractive to all women.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

> "seriously moody" tattooed on the back of her neck.

Some people could do with "Poor impulse control" tattooed on their forehead.

1. Michael Thibault

"Some people could do with 'Poor impulse control' tattooed on their forehead."

Ultimately, the overwhelming majority of tattoos amount to exactly those words. True thurts!

1. Is It Me

It is a reference to a Neal Stephenson book, Snow Crash I think

2. Wulfhaven

It's certainly for life for the poor dog.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

It's certainly for life for the poor dog

Some dogs actually enjoy life with their pack y'know. Even if most of the pack have claws and their version of barking sounds more like "meow".

And then there's the cats..

3. LucreLout
      Happy

I've never understood why people get tats, for starters there is the pain.

Surely you must have heard the phrase "Pain is temporary, regrettable tatoos are forever".

I don't have any tatoos, but I do like the idea of a well drawn tatoo. "Forever" loses some of its potency after 40, when you start thinking about it as being "the next 25 - 40 years".

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Whilst a dog isn't just for Christmas, it isn't for life (hopefully) ."

I hear they make a tasty lunch.

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Joke

I hear they make a tasty lunch.

@Alan Brown. WOW! You have a dog that cooks.. I'm coming round for dinner with a camera. PP

5. Tom Samplonius

"As for those who get some unintelligible script tattooed down the side of their torso, (Mr Beckham?). What if, despite the tattoo artist saying it meant "We all live in harmony", it actually said "I'm a F*****g T**t"?"

I agree. Mr Beckham has been ruined by his tattoos. He is worth a meager $450m. He made only $65m in 2015. He's basically a pauper. He spent £2m renovating his home. £2m? What did he do? Throw some sawdust down? I mean you don't need to fly stonecutters in Sicily, but come on.

11. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    WTF?

Zune

I'm sure we all remember "Zune Tattoo Guy"....

// can't understand the motivation

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Zune

What else was he ever going to be famous for?

12. Jim Mitchell
    Alert

Why has the progress bar not progressed in all these years?

1. DNTP

It's emulating a Windows 10 PC trying to download and install an HP printer update for a Verizon account holder who just unknowingly hit his secret invisible data cap.

1. kain preacher

Stop right there, all you had to do is say HP printer driver. I have a 238 meg HP driver for XP.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

hit his secret invisible data cap

You still have those in right-pondia?

(Shakes head sadly).

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

I have nothing against tattoos but I have a serious hatred of progress bars. Thats the last thing I'd get tattoed on. Id rather have a qcode that said "Tramp"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Progress bar

Every five years he goes in to his tattoo artist and gets another square filled in on the progress bar.

3. Mooseman Silver badge

"Why has the progress bar not progressed in all these years?"

If ought to have a time left of 10 seconds if it's Microsoft

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon