back to article Google fuels up Chromecast Wi-Fi flooding fix

Google has confirmed plans to issue a patch for Chromecast and Google Home aimed at resolving a traffic flooding problem that was swamping home networks. Chromecast OK, Google: Why does Chromecast clobber Wi-Fi connections? READ MORE The fix – due later today – follows a series of work-around updates from router …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT HUB 5

I did wonder - my wifi has been terrible at home and noticed if I switched off the Chromecast it went. Hopefully this patch will sort it out.

1. MotorcyclesFish

Re: BT HUB 5

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

There was a story recently of BT Hub TCP/IP implementation being so bad that Google issued a specific Chromecast patch to try and get their dear customers online through the Hubs.

Link

1. sabroni Silver badge

That article doesn't explain the nature of the bug, got a link to a story that fingers BT for the problem and not Google? They both have previous....

2. Cuddles

"I did wonder - my wifi has been terrible at home and noticed if I switched off the Chromecast it went. Hopefully this patch will sort it out."

It shouldn't sort it out, this issue is almost the exact opposite of the problem you have - the Chromecast saves up packets while it's supposed to be sleeping and then sends them all at once when it wakes up. You shouldn't have any problems if it's just left on all the time, only if you turn it off for a while and then back on again.

3. bootr

See if your chromecast has guest mode turned on (google it or use the home app). I had a similar problem and somehow guest mode had been turned on. This makes the chromecast broadcast another signal on the same wifi channel as your home wifi. In my case the TV was between me and the router in the office, and the chromecast signal completely killed my wifi from that location.

2. stefbishop

There needs to be an option to define which wifi channel the devices broadcast on

1. davefiddes

WiFi channels

The WiFi channel used will depend on the Access Point not the devices (mobile and Chromecast) doing the multicasting. WiFi multicast uses management frames which happen at the slowest rate that the AP supports (so bogging down all traffic on the AP) but it all happens on the channel the AP is using.

3. Daggerchild Silver badge

Moar Data!

Does anyone have a list of hubs that get injured by the floods, as opposed to brushed it off? Should sort the wheat from the chaff.

4. JDX Gold badge

Do I need to do anything?

Is this an update to the app on my phone and to the CC hardware, or just the latter? App updates are easy, does the CC update automatically?

1. R 11

Re: Do I need to do anything?

Chromecast devices will update automatically.

You can check current firmware version numbers and which version your CC is running here: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014?hl=en

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Google fix?

It will no longer go to sleep and stop sending / receiving data

It will always be on, always listening, always watching, always there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like