back to article 220 heads to roll as Steria hacks away at UK.gov back-office IT biz

French outsourcer Sopra Steria plans to make 220 folk redundant from its UK government business as part of a major upheaval of its public sector operation. The Register has seen evidence that the firm plans to put 400 people at risk of redundancy and expects 220 roles to go. The redundancies are part of a shake-up of its UK …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How does your country become the leader in IT

when you outsource everything you have and they make all the 'talent' redundant?

Probbaly unlreated to the article but I just wondered.

1. macjules

Re: How does your country become the leader in IT

Simple. You keep outsourcing until you end up with your payroll being handled by something like Islamic State Payroll and HR Services (motto: "We can reduce your headcount").

If you start cutting those corners too far then you are going to end up with a bunch of monkeys, some very old computers and a website that makes Geocities look good.

2. steelpillow Silver badge
      Trollface

Because any staff who are any good grab the redundancy package and go do something useful instead.

3. Blotto Silver badge

@AC

when you outsource everything you have and they make all the 'talent' redundant?

very true, but Steria are after profit growth which will come from inefficiencies in the contract caused by the moving on of the knowledgeable and skilled workers acquired when the staff TUPE'd over.

All outsourcers do it. there is no profit in some experienced person doing their job in 5 mins when it will take an inexperienced or even just unfamiliar with the account, highly trained UK or offshore degree holder a day or 2 to do the same.

the outsourcer management aren't stupid, & their customers have no clue as they TUPE'd away the only people in their organisation who knew how to get the technology to work the way the business wanted it to.

1. Commswonk

the outsourcer management aren't stupid

Recent events at Carillion (in conjunction with earlier mishaps at G4S / Serco et al) might suggest otherwise.

1. Blotto Silver badge

@commswonk

Recent events at Carillion (in conjunction with earlier mishaps at G4S / Serco et al) might suggest otherwise.

yes but sadly you'll find that the current and former management are still getting paid by Carillion and will be likely get all they are due in their employment contracts. the ones that will loose out will be the Carillion staff, contractors who are performing the work for Carillion and the customers.

The customers, effectively UK public, will end up paying more.

1. Commswonk

How I wish that I could argue that you are wrong, but I can't.

I would like to think (some hope!) that there will be a major rethink behind the scenes about the wisdom of the current outsourcing / PFI model.

If anyone from the Cabinet Office is reading this I would urge you to remember the old adage about not putting all your eggs in one basket. Too many eggs in one basket is simply too big a risk, never mind all of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SSG

A new colleague received the letter / email the day after he started. They've also sent it to people not in scope. Many other companies are jumping on this lucrative band wagon

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like