back to article Hawaiian fake nukes alert caused by fat-fingered fumble of garbage GUI

Bad user interface design has been blamed for Hawaii experiencing a brief spate of nuclear panic over the weekend. In case you missed the news, anyone with a smartphone in the island State on Saturday morning received an emergency message stating “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT …

Page:

1. Schultz
    Facepalm

Confirmation checkbox needed

Make sure the user will think about it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Do you really want to send this message?

Cancel message: Cancel / Yes

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Confirmation checkbox needed

Maybe better:

Send this message / Cancel this message

Rather than "Yes, cancel this message"

1. frank ly

According to a report in The Independent, there was a confirmation stage and the operator did press 'yes'. What it needs is a big, red, flashing illuminated sign at the other end of the room with a big, red, flashing confirmation button to be pressed. I suppose that would be too expensive.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Would it have killed them to have a second person sign off on the 'go' command? They way they set it up, it was only a matter of time before a disgruntled worker triggered it anyway.

1. bazza Silver badge

Would it have killed them to have a second person sign off on the 'go' command? They way they set it up, it was only a matter of time before a disgruntled worker triggered it anyway.

Trouble is that you know for certain that when you actually really, really need that second person (ie a real missile is really on the way), they'll have gone to the kharzi for a few minutes easement. And by the time they've done experiencing hell on earth, it'll be too late and it'll arrive for the rest of us in the shape of a rather larger mushroom cloud.

1. Lee D Silver badge

But... like the infamous "four minute warning", it's 100% completely useless anyway.

By the time that alert was cancelled, any missile would have hit and done whatever damage it couldand basically no-one would have had a chance to do anything about it. Hell, that's assuming they could even get the alert out in time, let alone people actually receiving it, reading it and running immediately for shelter (where?).

A second person isn't exactly difficult to come by if you're working on a missile alert system. I presume that second person's function of late has been to slap the first person who fat-fingered it..

2. EarthDog

I've seen video of nuclear launch drills. The number of steps they go through to open the safe with the codes in them, read them, verify the messages, etc. to launch probably wasn't much less than someone running down the hall and pounding on the door yelling, "We need you n the control room right now!". Or you could just have 3 people available with the proper clearance and ensure at least 2 of them are on duty at all times.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

I've seen video of nuclear launch drills.

Not only that but the launch requires another crew in a separate launch control centre to do the same so that one crew can't go rogue and start a conflict.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

What it needs is

What it needs is for the confirmation dialogue for the real message to look significantly different to the one for the test message, and preferably have the "cancel / confirm" boxes in different relative locations. That way even a half-asleep operator doing the weekly test run would sit up and say, "uh, what? Who changed the... oh. Oops".

Or ditch the drop-down dialogue with the two options next to each other?

Or have a special "test mode" in the software that must be engaged every time a test is run, in much the same way we must put our fire alarm in "test mode" before running a test in order to avoid calling the fire brigade?

M.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
            WTF?

What's really needed is TWO drop down boxes, separated by a good amount.

One labelled "TEST MESSAGES"

The other labelled "THE REAL THING"

Pure ass-hattery, mixing the test messages in with the real ones in a single drop down.

// doesn't anyone do good UI design any more?

// [looks at Windows 10 screen]

// ...never mind...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Or how about:

Test - Missile Test- Nothing to worry about.

Real - Missile Alert, phone your wife and kids to say I love you and goodbye.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

But, but, but... I want to test "THE REAL THING"! And not only the TEST.

Anyway... you answered your question already though. It seemeth that nowadays UIs are sent to the unusability lab and only leave once they scored top. Which imbeciles thought it a good idea to apply mediocre fondleslap UIs everywhere else too?!

2. Peter2 Silver badge

The problem is that you get asked so many "are you sure?" for trivial actions so many times a day that people are conditioned to just hit the "ok" button. The best way of actually forcing you to read a message that i've ever seen was when deleting a partion many, many years ago.

It popped a box saying "Do you really want to do this? If so, enter this 4 digit randomly generated number ($number) in the box below and press "ok"

This completely ruled out the "hit the OK" reflex and made very sure that you'd read the message and personally made me think a couple of times before hitting the button after i'd stuck the code in.

3. joea

Maybe even more betterer:

Send this TEST message / Cancel this TEST message

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

This is where AI comes into its own.

When the computer determines the user is about to make a monumentally stupid decision, the prompt should be:

"Shall I hold your beer for you? Yes/No"

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Maybe better: ..."

Er, whoosh, I think.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Maybe better: Send this message / Cancel this message Rather than "Yes, cancel this message"

Nah, go for the cookie acceptance banner:

"Do you accept cookies? YES"

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Here we go again

With another XKCD for the occasion: https://xkcd.com/970/

7. Flywheel

Maybe better:

Do you want to send this message?

"NO - DO NOT send this message"

"Yes, SEND this message"

8. JeffUK

Send what message? If they think they clicked 'Test Message' then they're going to click yes on the confirmation too.

How about confirmation boxes that provide useful information like "Send message to 4,000,000 recipients?"

2. notowenwilson

How about:

"to send this message, please type the first 20 digits of pi"

1. Bluto Nash

We have a similar system in place at my site, whereby a notification is sent to all emergency response personnel. It prompts "Type 'EMERGENCY' to confirm" before it sends the message. Is it THAT HARD? No, it's not. Simply a case of a bad GUI rising up to get a clean chomp at a poor scapegoats arse.

2. A.A.Hamilton

With the certain result that, when there the threat is real, somebody suffering a panic attack will type "The first 20 digits of pi" and then be completely frozen while trying to understand why the message was not sent.

3. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Stop

Sometimes it's worth skipping the confirmation checks, which is why dangerous machinery has a big red mushroom headed 'stop' button and a smaller recessed green start button under a flip cover with a key.

I don't have any more facts that the rest of you but someone during the design phase may have decided that saving seconds on the alert during a real attack was worth the risk of a false alarm, given that a real attack would have people panicking and mis-keying like crazy.

4. Florida1920

To send this message, click on all the photos containing street signs.

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
        Mushroom

@ Florida1920 Re: Confirmation checkbox needed

That stuff is enough to make me reach critical mass. I never know if the pole that the street sign stands on is considered part of the sign. The amount of clicking involved suggests not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @ Florida1920 Confirmation checkbox needed

Sceptic Tank,

Usually not, but often a small part of the Sign/'item' is overlapping the next box and this is what catches me out as sometimes it counts and sometimes not !!!

2. To Mars in Man Bras!
          Joke

Re: @ Florida1920 Confirmation checkbox needed

Don't worry. reCRAPTCHA is much more straightforward:

https://stiobhart.net/2018-01-14-recraptcha/

2. Stoneshop
        Mushroom

To send this message,

click on all the photos containing nuclear tests

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

WANTED: Team able to build me a fully stocked and working nuclear shelter in/under my garden. Must be able to have work completed in 4 minutes time.

4. A.A.Hamilton

Is that signs which are complete (define 'complete') or just a part of a street sign? How much constitutes 'part'? I typically have about 5 to 9 attempts at these security tests; is it just me?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think I'd use a drop-down for those two choices. Too easy to choose the wrong item.

6. JimboSmith Silver badge

On the flip side of the coin. When we had the sad passing of the Queen Mother commercial Broadcasters were supposed to be notified by an alarm. This was supposed to be sent by Independent Radio News by Satellite and would have alerted all their subscribers. The Obit alarm required you to have a 1U box in your racks room and to have it wired in so that everyone knows it's been triggered. To trigger it you had to simultaneously press two buttons under spring loaded plastic covers. Sadly on that Easter Saturday the alarm wasn't triggered correctly and never went off across the country as a result. Someone said that one of the two buttons pressed was a wrong one. Weirdly they had no idea it hadn't gone off as (I believe) they didn't have the same equipment as their subscribers hooked into their studio. It was embarrassing not just for IRN but also their subscribers some of whom were not live at the time. I think at least one had an up tempo music bed being played by the automation whilst this sombre news bulletin went out. Some were doing football commentary of the televised late kick off.

They still have the alarm but it is now supplemented by text messages and other methods.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> On the flip side of the coin. When we had the sad passing of the Queen Mother commercial Broadcasters were supposed to be notified by an alarm.

Why is that urgent?

Why is that urgent?

Because she was on the list of Category One Royals the death of whom requires special news coverage/programming. More importantly the bulletin length increases to five minutes and if you don't change things and you're in automated playout then you may lose the end of the bulletin of have music over the top etc. The BBC had/have a system called RATS which stands for Radio Alert Transmission System (and definitely not Royals About To Snuff it). That was piggybacked onto the 198LW signal of Radio 4. The OBIT alarm is now known as the Major Story Alarm and is also triggered for things like terrorist incidents, major accidents etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Because she was on the list of Category One Royals the death of whom requires special news coverage/programming.

Requires?

What happens if you don't? People blissfully turn up to work when they should have taken the day off instead?

Requires?

What happens if you don't? People blissfully turn up to work when they should have taken the day off instead?

Yes "requires" as in the news is significant enough to warrant extended and more frequent bulletins etc. When our the Queen as our Head of State sadly dies the same thing will apply. There's more than a few people who will take the time to write a complaint to Ofcom if you just have the story as an and finally at the end of the bulletin.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think of those messages as the "yes", "yes", "yes", "oh s**t" - because that is how most users use them. Only use them when something can't be recovered, otherwise the users will be saying yes yes oh f**k as they hit the buttons

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the bright side

Now they know the system does work as intended. :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: On the bright side

In Israel we had those missile warning sirens too. Depending on where you lived they would go off with some regularity if the neighbours were having a particularly bad day.

From my experience, it doesn't follow that missile warning = panic. Unless you're American, in which case you must exaggerate everything.

9. JeffUK

I prefer "Cancel Message? "Yes" / "No" / "Cancel"" Just to make it even more confusing.

10. Allan George Dyer

@Schultz - another victim of Poe's law

2. Daniel Garcia 2

" The Post reports that the messaging system offers a drop-down menue two options: "'Test missile alert' and 'Missile alert'." Whoever sent the message chose the latter instead of the former, with now-well-known results."

Rather than choosing, i would guess that the operator arrive at the desk a few minutes earlier with his morning coffee and miss-click due to him not to be fully acclimatised to the mouse DPI setting (being there, done that).

The option to send a whole state to "kiss goodbye your own arse mode" by a click on a drop down menu without confirmation, genius design.

1. Steve Evans

A drop down menu?!!

What idiot designed that interface? I must mis-select from those at least a dozen times a day!

For something as important as that you need a big red shiny button, a long distance from any other buttons, and as other have suggested, a confirmation box which looks absolutely nothing like any of the others, with hot keys disabled and the OK button not focused so an errant "enter" won't click it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'you need a big red shiny button'

I reminded of the Father Ted episode when Father Dougal gets invited onto the flight deck......

2. Eddy Ito

Maybe they could just make the alert a simple "Now would be the perfect time to tap your stash of good stuff and don't sweat saving any for tomorrow."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Unfrendly Fire

"The Post reports that the messaging system offers a drop-down menue two options: 'Test missile alert' and 'Missile alert'."

This is the GUI equivalent of negligent homicide. I guess governments just don't do quality control, since they never need to make a profit and they almost never lose their jobs regardless.

BTW, at least two well-known Hollywood actors are now accusing President Trump of creating so much (alleged) war fear that it greatly exacerbated the Hawaii alert panic, making him the main culprit!

TDS strikes again.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Unfrendly Fire

"BTW, at least two well-known Hollywood actors are now accusing President Trump of creating so much (alleged) war fear that it greatly exacerbated the Hawaii alert panic, making him the main culprit!"

Well, making him the main culprit is a little harsh, but there would be a lot less fear floating about if he didn't take every chance he could to kick Kim in the balls.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, there would be very little war fear if the rabid anti-Trump press had not been whipping up such fears since Inauguration Day. I mean. when they weren't blaming him for stupidity, incompetence, racism, sexual harassment, cronyism, collusion, and bad hair. No doubt more charges will be leveled in future.

And today the haters are suggesting we're lucky Trump wasn't watching the news when the alert happened, or he'd have pushed the Button right then and there. This shiza is the same thing they pulled on Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan. Basically the idea is that any Republican president that doesn't assume the fetal position at all times is just itching to blow up the world. Of course, Democrats would never do such a thing because they aren't bloodthirsty Republicans.

1. Ol' Grumpy

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't with Presidents - Republican or otherwise. It's more to do with the specific fact that this specific President is perceived by plenty of people in and outside of the USA as being an idiot.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon