back to article Data protection is best managed from the centre

Security people talk of an attack surface to describe exposure to malware and hacking. The bigger the attack surface, the more at risk you are. Data is the fuel of a new industrial revolution, powering business changes such as digitalisation and advances in fields such as machine learning. The greater our reliance on data, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nobody_important

Sorry...but.

...this reads like a sales data sheet/brochure, but hey, what would I know!?!

I'm just an account manager...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry...but.

I thought the same. In particular "Data is the fuel of a new industrial revolution," struck me as complete horseshit.

Like most of the data being scooped in vast volumes and served up as the new gold.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry...but.

I don't think your instinct is wrong.

In section 2, there's the paragraph that reads (emphasis mine):

"Traditional data models trying to adapt to this new world are inhibited by their use of legacy software and design. But newer models are emerging from companies such as Rubrik and Druva."

And, at the very end of the article, in a smaller font size, it reads:

"Supported by Druva."

So, yeah, sales/marketing sounds right on point.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Getting ahead of yourself here..

There's no point in even thinking about controlling the way stuff's stored and handled until you've cracked down on over-collecting and that's primarily a cultural problem. You need to deal with your data fetishists first.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Getting ahead of yourself here..

Most organizations collect too much information because they do not think through basic questions about what they need the data for.

1. Charles 9

Re: Getting ahead of yourself here..

Oh, it's real simple, and practically instinctive. Better by far to have something you don't need than to need something you don't have. That's why many humans are packrats by nature.

This topic is closed for new posts.