back to article Wannabe W1 DOW-er faked car crash to track down reg plate's owner

A man from Bristol, England, lied to a government agency to get his hands on a private number plate reading "W1 DOW", a court has heard. In a hearing at Bristol Magistrates' Court, Miles Savory – director of Accident Claims Handlers – yesterday pleaded guilty to illegally obtaining the personal information of the plate's owner …

Page:

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

So it turns out he's actually an 'unsavoury' character : -)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am really shocked that someone who runs an accident claims company would ever resort to underhand and not quite legal practices, really shocked I tell you.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

and why does he want widow on his numberplate? for when he's chasing ambulances?

1. jmch Silver badge

"and why does he want widow on his numberplate?"

Sad attempt to earn sympathy from ladies and/or show availability?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't he want "W1DOWER" then?

2. Ogi

> and why does he want widow on his numberplate?

Similar reason to the guy he wanted to buy it from? Or maybe he owns an early Porsche 911 and wanted an appropriate plate?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And what about the DVLA?

Did they say:

Thanks you for calling. Can we have the crime reference number and the Police station dealing with the case. Once we have that we will pass the information onto them and they will pass the details on.

or:

Sure no problem, here you go.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: And what about the DVLA?

Why would the DVLA do something logical and helpful like that?

1. Aqua Marina

I think the DVLA should be reported to the ICO for failing to have stringent checks in place. It looks like they give out info without any kind of due dilligence.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Due diligence check was probably done initially against the company, so that any requests from them could be honoured without having to go through the rigmarole of a check each time.. Once initial trust has been established, the trusted party can (if they are so inclined, and he was) abuse that trust.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"the rigmarole of a check"

The "rigmarole" could include requiring the crime number as per the OP and making 1 in N checks with the police. It's called "having a process in place".

It raises the question of how DVLA will respond to further requests from this guy's office in future. If they really do make the thorough checks which now seem appropriate it could cost him a packet.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
              Trollface

Well in some countries everyone is entitled to look up any vehicle / owner details.

So is it that big a deal?

I realise there will be knee jerk privacy enthusiast downvotes , but it works in other countries - proper civilised countries i'm talking ... ( i think its Norway)

They also make public how much everyone earns

1. Peter2 Silver badge

It's not publically available in the UK, and he broke the law in obtaining the information under false pretenses.

So yes, it's a big deal in this country.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"privacy enthusiast"?

What are you then? A privacy invasion enthusiast? Any authoritarian's wet dream.

2. Goldmember

"I think the DVLA should be reported to the ICO for failing to have stringent checks in place. It looks like they give out info without any kind of due dilligence."

Big upvote for that. They've passed my details on to various cowboy private parking "companies" without any checks, and even allowed one of my previous cars - which was stolen and had been reported as such - to be registered to someone else and taxed.

It seems that not only do they not have 'stringent' checks in place, they seemingly have no checks at all.

Fuckers.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As long as they go after the individuals responsible and don't fine the DVLA (ie tax payers).

Like that's going to happen.

2. TonyB

Perhaps the system should be changed so that when a private (non police) entity asks for ownership details, you are also sent a copy of the response. And if it shows that the enquiry came from 'Ethical Parking Limited' and a week later you get a penalty demand from 'Bovver Boy Parking', you know that EPS have passed on your details to BBP (probably the same person, but legally separate entities so presumably in contravention of DVLC rules) and on receipt of a complaint, DVLC should stop both entities from accessing their data.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

I think the first question by the DVLA was "And how would you like to pay?"

3. Len Goddard

W1DOW

I read that as widow, not window. So, not only an idiot but an idiot who cannot spell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: W1DOW

Windows on your mind? What's worse, not being able to spell, or not being able to read?

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"I read that as widow, not window. So, not only an idiot but an idiot who cannot spell."

Is this a Linux thang?

1. Patrick R
        Windows

At least (with W1ND0S) there could have been an IT angle.

2. WallMeerkat

I regret not buying L18NUX when it was up for sale a decade ago.

1. Spanker

There was a bloke at our City firm who paid a fortune for G3WAP, for his 850i if I recall.

Not worth much now I guess.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if F3 LON is available for him...

1. wolfetone Silver badge

It's a pity C0 CK is banned for the chap.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Let's fund C0 CKUP for him and force him to use it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or F1 NED but I think PR15 SON would have been more appropriate here.

1. ukgnome

he will have to make do with PR 1CK

1. Sampler
  5. Aladdin Sane
    Trollface

They have internal combustion engines in Bristol now?

1. phuzz Silver badge

They didn't call it the Bristol Olympus (as seen used in the Vulcan, and Concorde) because it was made in Kent mate.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They have internal combustion engines in Bristol now?"

IIRC they used to have SOHC 2l engines back in the days when there were still side-valve engines in use.

1. Aladdin Sane
        Trollface

Shame they were based in Filton, not Bristol.

6. KingStephen

Has he told his wife ...

... exactly why he wants that plate?

1. d3vy

Re: Has he told his wife ...

I suspect he probably drives a black car?

Black widow.

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

The article didn't mention

how much the victim received ....

1. Swarthy

Re: The article didn't mention

my guess would be that the victim received "The satisfaction of seeing the perpetrator punished for his misdeeds"

In Other Words: SFA

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Accident Claims Handlers Ltd

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/03877804/ACCIDENT-CLAIMS-HANDLERS-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Do they still have access to DVLA data after this?

9. Test Man

I think it's worrying that the DVLA readily give out personal data without any due diligence. In this case, if a crash happened with someone's vehicle, why aren't they asking the obvious question of "why aren't your insurance company asking us for this info?"?

1. Aqua Marina

He managed to get the data by misusing his position, Director of "Accident Claims Handlers Ltd". The kind of company people use when making insurance claims.

1. DJ Smiley

Says it all really...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And do they still have access to DVLA data after the incident???

2. jimbo36

Because in the UK

a) It is possible to self-insure, but as it's so expensive its only done by businesses

b) You may be trying to settle without the use of an insurer.

A better question, as mentioned by other people, would be "what is the crime reference number".

10. zebthecat

BE11 END

1. Huw D
      1. Laura Kerr
  11. Spudley

Somewhat unfortunate for the victim to be named in this article (and presumably in public elsewhere), given that the whole point of the case was that his privacy had been breached.

1. Dave 126

My thought too. Still, one assumes that be knew that a court case would make his name public and yet he wasn't so fussed that he didn't proceed. The public don't have his contact details to pester him.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did he get the plate in the end?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like