back to article Dump ur mobile provider via txt by 2019: LMFAO cu l8r

Mobile users will be able to divorce their providers by text within a single working day, thanks to new Ofcom rules announced today. In its announcement, the regulator said: "Consumers need to be able to switch providers easily to exercise choice and take advantage of competition in the communications sector." However, it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great !

Now can we do the same for insurence companies ?

1. frank ly

Re: Great !

Without the (seemingly) standard £30 cancellation charge, I hope :(

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Great !

...£30 cancellation charge...

Don't forget the £30 setup charge for the new provider...

2. John Robson Silver badge

Erm...

So an unlocked phone sat on a desk would be killed by sending a single text message from it?

That seems, how shall I put this? Risky?

The current method isn't great, but I wonder if this is a step too far.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Erm...

It could also be killed by wiping out all the settings, or by dropping it on the floor and breaking the screen. Don't leave your phone unattended or especially unattended and unlocked in places where you don't trust people around you not to be assholes.

1. John Robson Silver badge

>It could also be killed by wiping out all the settings, or by dropping it on the floor and breaking the screen. Don't leave your phone unattended or especially unattended and unlocked in places where you don't trust people around you not to be assholes.

Yes it could - but at least a legal contract couldn't be changed without any attempt at verification of authority.

1. teknopaul

I dont think a wiseguy with you phone and ability to send messages would turn _off_ the flow of free data. You have bigger problems.

3. Mongrel

Alternatively...

"Currently, users have to call service providers to cancel their contract outright, or request their PAC code if they want to keep their number."

I'd happily settle for banning of retentions departments, because half an hour of "No, no, the new provider has a better deal, no, I don't use the minutes I get already why would another 5000 persuade me, no, no, just give me my PAC code, No, ..." etc gets really tiring

1. Kernel

Re: Alternatively...

Call your current provider and request a code?

That's a bit 20th century isn't it?

While not quite cancellation by text message, here in NZ I can walk into a service provider's store, buy a new phone or get one on a plan and request that my existing number be ported from my old provider* - the last time we did that for my wife's new phone she got a text within the hour to let her know the job was done and the new phone was working with the ported number. The new service provider was also very apologetic that due to a temporary problem with their systems they couldn't move the number while we were in the store.

* Mileage may vary if there is still outstanding phone subsidy owing to the original provider - not an issue I've had to deal with.

1. John Robson Silver badge

>Call your current provider and request a code?

>That's a bit 20th century isn't it?

It comes from the aggressive 'pinch your number and contract' techniques of less than scrupulous sellers.

You have to tell your existing provider that your number is being ported, else it's locked.

It's actually not a bad idea - it's just that getting the PAC can take longer than it should (and it should be available through the 'manage my account' section of their website/app)

1. teknopaul

website use is presuming that your data plan has not run out again and that's why you're swapping.

2. Cuddles

"That's a bit 20th century isn't it?

While not quite cancellation by text message, here in NZ I can walk into a service provider's store"

Wait, you think a phonecall is a bit 20th century, but consider having to actually physically visit a store somehow better? You can do exactly the same in the UK already, and have been able to since mobile phones were invented, but the point is that people don't want to have to faff around like that and want a way of cancelling/changing contracts that is actually convenient.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple and Google could build this in

Create a little "change your provider" app, or make it part of settings. One step closer to getting rid of the SIM entirely - if the "change your provider" process could automatically download and install a software SIM certificate from the new provider what need is there for a physical SIM.

There would be nothing stopping the phone from holding an unlimited number of certificates, so you could easily switch between them if you traveled a lot and wanted to get the best rate in each location.

1. Down not across

Re: Apple and Google could build this in

Create a little "change your provider" app, or make it part of settings. One step closer to getting rid of the SIM entirely

No thanks. I prefer physical SIM. At least then if my phone dies (or runs out of battery or something) I can easily put the SIM into another handset, either temporarily or more permanently.

2. Kernel

"There would be nothing stopping the phone from holding an unlimited number of certificates, so you could easily switch between them if you traveled a lot and wanted to get the best rate in each location."

Nothing technical stopping this, but I suspect the service providers might have a few alternative ideas on the subject.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nothing technical stopping this, but I suspect the service providers might have a few alternative ideas on the subject.

And they are the one reason we haven't had software SIMs for years now. They have continually blocked Apple's attempts to get them approved.

As for the above objection about being able to remove your SIM and place it in another phone if it dies, that's easily handled by carriers providing a way for you to login to their site and download copies of your SIM certificates. Or Apple and Google could allow them to be stored in the cloud so a new phone could easily download them for you - even if you had a dozen of them. A hardware SIM only does you good if you still have physical possession of your undamaged SIM. If your phone is lost, stolen, dropped in a lake or run over by a truck, you don't while a software SIM is still fine.

5. Fihart

As ever, too late.

My impression is that the telcos have realised for some time that making users jump through hoops to leave has the opposite of the desired effect.

As in making people even more angry isn't going to persuade them to stay.

Now all we need is legislation to ensure that subsidised phones automatically unlock at the end of contract term (or within a similar period for PAYG).

1. NBCanuck

Re: As ever, too late.

Once change recently made in Canada is that all carriers have to unlock their customers' phones upon demand for free, and all future phones sold cannot be locked to any providers. Merry Christmas!

One provider (Bell) has been making the news by following the letter of the law. If someone buys a second hand phone and takes it to Bell to be unlocked Bell is refusing as they are not "a customer" (and probably never will be with that service attitude). Hopefully the CRTC will clarify the rules and remove that exception.

6. Saint

Sharks

About bloody time. Now they need to deal with this nonsense about getting out of yearly contracts. I recently ended a contract, not knowing that I had at some point accidently upgraded to a yearly contract. Vodaphone would not let me cancel the cancellation, nor send me a sim card to use up the remaining air time on my contract, nor would they tell me which regulatory scheme they are part of. All because I dared move house to an area that they dont cover !

7. ruscook

This is a thing? With prepaid in Australia, I just buy a new SIM, activate it and port my existing number and voila' somewhere between 15-100mins (depending on peak times) I'm ported to the new provider with my existing number. No big deal, you can do it pretty much monthly if you wanted to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like