back to article Cable Labs gives OpenStack, and itself, some help on the edge

CableLabs, the organisation that figures out to help pay TV operators sweat their networks, has launched OpenStack installers for its software-defined networking and network function virtualization efforts. The organisation has had its eye on this for a while with an effort called “SNAPS” the “SDN & NFV Application Platform …

1. Field Commander A9

Although vSphere and vRealize are vastly more suitable for the NFV-I and NFV-O scenarios, you just can't beat free goodies.

1. Tom Samplonius

vSphere is a dead man walking

"Although vSphere and vRealize are vastly more suitable for the NFV-I and NFV-O scenarios, you just can't beat free goodies."

I think you might be the only one that thinks that. vSphere is rapidly becoming just an adjutant to Azure and AWS. They are putting a brace face on their ultimate irrelevance. The big public clouds don't use vSphere. Everyone will use some public cloud at some level, so they will want freedom of movement from private to public. Azure Private Pack has that. And it is a free download. No need to use vSphere at all.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

vRealize are vastly more suitable for the NFV-I and NFV-O

No, they are not. VMware closed the API for the vm-to-vm switching so your only choice for networking is vmware distributed switch and whatever it offers. You are fully dependent on what they ship and that's it. So let's look at basic things you need for NFV-i and NFV-O:

- service chaining? nope, never heard of it,

- layer 3 functionality? at the level of a GCSE project

- interface to overlays and L2/L3 VPNs used in the edge (cable labs existing standards are mostly GRE) - nope you will be force fed the VXLAN diet like it or not

Vmware has ensured that it will not be considered for any such deployments in the long terms the moment it closed the switch and vNIC APIs 2 years ago. Even if it decides to reopen them now nobody will believe that this is a long term strategy and nobody will be their house on developing for it.

Compared to that Openstack networking is pluggable. The base reference implementation is as lame as vmware (if not more lame). There are, however more than enough alternatives floating around to do the job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon