back to article Sons of Sun DriveScale tempt cloud-lovers with composable infrastructure rig

Composable infrastructure startup DriveScale believes composability is not primarily about hardware. Its CEO told us: "Hardware doesn’t drive software any more" and "SoCs are everywhere now", so "use the network as your backplane" because "100Gbit Ethernet is faster than PCIe 4 lane". “It’s all about the software. The box is a …

1. Pen-y-gors

"composable infrastructure rig"

I initially read that as 'compostable infrastructure rig' - making hardware out of surplus food waste?

Should have gone to Specsavers.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "composable infrastructure rig"

No, no, no ... You see, this is "own it outright, run it in-house" kit.

So when this year's crop of Marketing doublespeak runs it's course, it's easy to break down the computing infrastructure in order to provide components for next year's crop of Marketing doublespeak.

In other words, "composting" is quite accurate :-)

2. Chris Hills

Why ethernet?

I do not understand the fascination of ethernet in the datacenter as opposed to the faster and more flexible infiniband.

1. Nick Dyer

Re: Why ethernet?

Mostly because ethernet is a common, adopted and sticky interface that many network users and DCs around the world have standardised on, and are very comfortable with - and refuse to move from.

IB, whilst superior in many ways - is always pushing water uphill as it's another standard and cable connectivity type for someone to manage.

SK Vinod was one of the three founding brothers of Xsigo, and knows full well the political challenges that IB has in the datacentre.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I believe that electric scooters are the perfect means of transport for getting around the city. No gasoline consumption, no noise. And the speed of an electric motorcycle is enough to get to your destination on time. The electric motorcycle is now available for a low price of £ 1200. But if you want to get a high-speed one. electric scooter, it will cost you over £ 2,000, so now manufacturers are striving to improve electric mopeds for all consumer tastes

4. Gaster
    Childcatcher

Gaster

I believe that electric scooters are the perfect means of transport for getting around the city. No gasoline consumption, no noise. And the speed of an electric motorcycle is enough to get to your destination on time. The electric motorcycle is now available for a low price of £ 1200. But if you want to get a high-speed one. electric scooter, it will cost you over £ 2,000, so now manufacturers are striving to improve electric mopeds for all consumer tastes

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like