back to article Barclays bank bod in the cooler for aiding Dridex money launderers

An employee of Barclays Bank who laundered thousands of pounds on behalf of Moldovan cybercriminals was yesterday sentenced to six years and four months behind bars in Blighty. According to the Crown Prosecution Service, Jinal Pethad, 29, from Edgware, London, UK, set up more than a hundred false accounts to launder money and …

1. tiggity Silver badge

Amount

I have seen differing values for the " laundered thousands of pounds" mentioned

Highest number I have seen bandied about was over 2.5 million quid

Anyone got an authoritative figure?

1. Steve K

Re: Amount

Jinal Pethad has...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd do 6 years porridge for £2.5M

wear's the soap?

1. Velv
      Pirate

Re: I'd do 6 years porridge for £2.5M

Proceeds of Crime Act - you don’t get to keep it unless you’ve laundered it very very well. And if you got caught, you weren’t very very good at laundering.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But how long do you have beforehand?

A lot of these things may take 6 years to find out. Some Ponzi schemes go on for decades, private aircraft or yachts, two holiday homes for the wife etc. Though those may see you never leave the porridge.

3. MonkeyCee

Shock!

Golly, and I thought that you needed a crypto currency to launder money.

Turns out fiat is still the best for crooks :)

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Foolish criminals.

Clearly not getting to deal with the right level of Bank "management"

5. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

It doesnt say much for Barclays account oversight that he was able to maintain some 200 accounts for over 2 years solely for the purposes of this.

I wonder if they ever found out, or if this guy getting caught was purely down to the two malware guys getting caught....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like