back to article Brit banks told to publish details of major incidents that stop punters' payments

Banks will have to publish details of incidents that stop people using their payment services under new rules proposed by the UK's Financial Conduct Authority. The move is part of attempts to give Brits more information on the resilience of the services touted by banks, and help them better choose where to put their cash. As …

1. rmason

PR Guff

What we will get is some PR guff, with the odd vaguely technical term in.

Or, after a few years of it you'll notice a pattern of them using "stock responses that have washed in the past #1, #2, #3, #4"

1. TechnicianJack

Re: PR Guff

Generic response:

'We transferred funds away from the IT department budget to funnel it into the executive bonus budget.'

Copy and paste into every 'why our IT failed' explanation.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

2. Mark 110

Well as a guy that works in availability and recovery I've always been really interested to know why these 5 9s requirement things broke. And why it took so long to get them back up. 5 9s is hard yeah, but doable. I think I know what the problems were (legacy systems not designed for 5 9s, outsourcing contracts to staff that don't know how to keep those systems up - been there done that), but unless they share how am I to be sure its not a simple error that I am making as well.

How can we all improve at this stuff if we don't share our mistakes?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Let's have a dedicated TITSUP section on the register.

2. TRT Silver badge

Why is it good news for consumer choice?

When, retrospectively, you fill in the register of TITSUP events for the last five years and you find consumers can't choose a bank that has a perfect record, because there isn't one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: you find consumers can't choose a bank that has a perfect record,

As with many other things, expecting perfection is somewhat ambitious, and so you could just choose the one with the least bad record instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is it good news for consumer choice?

That's always the problem with comparing anything. Statistics redefine the meaning of words. We know the meaning of good and bad but put a collection of performance figures onto paper comparing multiple things and the word good now means "best of a bad bunch" because the "real" good figures won't fit on their graphs.

We now expect a "good" product to last a year or 5. Even a Which? report on the "best" product when they do reviews is only the best of a bad bunch.

Your "good" savings account now only lasts a year before you have to open another one because the old one has been retired.

Compare rubbish with rubbish and the best one is still rubbish but it now carries a premium tag.

League tables of any description allows the standards to fall. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: League tables [allow] standards to fall. It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

These conspiracies are getting worse every year!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: These conspiracies are getting worse every year!

Do you have some sort of comparative evidence for this?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"such a metric might encourage hackers to target weaker firms"

And ? Are we supposed to just let the "weaker firms" carry on ?

Yes, it is very likely that this metric would encourage attacks on weaker firms. They should therefor step up their game and get up to scratch, not cower behind such a bullshit argument.

Yes, it will cost them money. Guess what ? Better before than after - because after it just might be too late.

1. Mugs

Re: "such a metric might encourage hackers to target weaker firms"

Precisely. At the moment there's a cost saving in not staying secure and limited downside. This increases the downside, making it more likely that a bank will invest in staying secure.

4. Frederic Bloggs

El Reg: as a public service ...

How about maintaining a "financial" (and/or even ISP) TITSUP record page, maybe with bar charts of how many hours / days each of these occurs?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: El Reg: as a public service ...

How about maintaining a "financial" (and/or even ISP) TITSUP record page, maybe with bar charts of how many hours / days each of these occurs?

They'd get sued out of existence for slandering the guilty with the truth.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So would they consider my telephone banking to be out of service if the outsourced call centre can't understand my accent even though they have English names and know what is happening in coronation street?

6. Adrian 4

But they're banks

'She emphasised that the FCA expected banks to deal with the authority “in an open, transparent manner” '

Good luck with that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great, maybe we'll find out what happened at...

Tesco bank 'exactly'. How can this info still not be available?

(Tesco 'continue to remain tight-lipped over the incident' etc)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

news flash - stuff breaks

I don't work in banking and never have so if I'm wrong about what I'm about to say please accept my apologies.

While there's definitely no excuse for lax security and working in IT in the UK all my working life I'm definitely no fan of outsourcing aren't the high profile outages of the last 9-10 years partly symptomatic of functions being added to systems that were designed to send and receive payments and run ATMs?

Internet and mobile banking has inevitably increased the demand on these systems (business owners or individuals tapping refresh on their banking app or on the banking site several dozen times a day to check on their balance(s)) for example whereas before you had to go into a branch or ATM to do this previously or some just waited for a paper statement so demand was largely predictable and controlled.

The other cause is of course stuff being outsourced to those with little or no knowledge but that's the scourge of IT generally isn't it?

Season's Greetings to all by the way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon