My boss says "your job will be gone in 5 years"

This topic was created by OzBob .

1. OzBob

My boss says "your job will be gone in 5 years"

"it's all cloud and we aint in the Data Centre business anymore" (I'm a Unix Sysadmin) Thanks boss, and also for the company aligning with Azure (windows based, oh double joy). I'm late 40s, looks like I might have to finish my RHEL 7 Cert and then try working for a museum or local government that has running copies of actual hardware.

Unthrilled.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: My boss says "your job will be gone in 5 years"

I am closing in on 50. I moved from VMS to MS-DOS to Mac to Windows to Linux to Windows to Linux over the years.

The last 3 jobs have been managing a mixed environment with Windows and Linux servers and PCs (and VMWare).The previous one was mainly Windows with a couple of Linux servers (mail and Nagios), the current one is 95% Linux with a few test Windows installations, with VirtualBox, VMware and Hyper-V virtualisation.

A lot of companies won't even look at the cloud and many can't for legal or contractual reasons.

Also, those machines in the cloud, they still need customer administration of sorts, even if things like patching and backups are (hopefully) properly handled by the provider. User and access management, for example, are still the domain of the customer on individual machines. And if it is an instance cloud, you still need to manage the VMs themselves, different for managed applications, like Office365, SalesForce etc.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

I dare say your boss doesn't understand your job or the business you're working in.

1. Sun Morph

Agreed

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon