back to article Google to crack down on apps that snoop

Google has warned Android developers to give users better warnings about their apps' data collection behaviours, or it will flag their failings. Last Friday, the company announced revisions to Safe Browsing rules and "expanded enforcement of Google's Unwanted Software Policy". If developers don't comply within 60 days, Google …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop Snooping - That's our job - [Google]

“Google Safe Browsing will show warnings on apps and on websites leading to apps that collect a user’s personal data without their consent”...

You could just ban the apps! It would be more effective than hoping users realize! But hey Google run the zoo and take a cut, so that ain't happening!

1. m0rt

Re: Stop Snooping - That's our job - [Google]

Nice to think that the people behind Google, for corporations *are* archvil^W people, did this out of genuine concern. But I strongly think upcoming GDPR is the driving factor...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

In relation to GDPR :

I want to know what the devs/companies are doing with the data that they hold and exactly which data they have collected and which third parties also gain access . Only then can you decide if you are prepared to continue or not.

In any event if you don't accept the access the apps often don't work correctly and if they do they they should not be requesting access.

Google should also be far clearer about what they themselves slurp and how they use it and to who they give access...

1. IceC0ld

Google should also be far clearer about what they themselves slurp and how they use it and to who they give access...

Ans : - EVERYTHING and anyone who pays

FTFY :o)

1. Richocet

...anyone who pays.

What are the odds that they have sold this data to organised crime syndicates already?

It is inevitable that this will happen at some stage thanks to the only criteria in place being the ability to pay for the data.

2. Mark 85

But hey Google run the zoo and take a cut, so that ain't happening

Either Google doesn't get a cut from ads, etc.. or they're pissed that the apps won't share the data with them. Probably both. A pox on both their houses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This should be "entertaining". Well, for certain definitions of the word. Pretty much a stock set for years here so it should be interesting to see if any get outed.

3. macjules

Google has warned Android developers ..

Dear Kettle app developer, we would like to introduce you to the Pot app developer. They call you 'Black'.

4. Teiwaz

All these nasty, privacy impinging 'amateur' tracking apps...

...Are bringing too much attention onto Googles, nasty, privacy impinging 'professional' tracking services.

Time to weed the garden and hope the herd will go back to the cud and stop worrying about the farmer.

5. John Crisp

Opt out

Oh for the ability to choose what access apps have on install rather than the "accept we grab everything or nothing" that you are faced with, even on paid apps.

Yes you can restrict some of it afterwards, but that just isn't good enough.

1. Charles 9

Re: Opt out

Well, that's the hand you're dealt when you rely on others. You either hold 'em or fold 'em. The only third option is to roll your own, if you can. The rest of the populace just isn't there to back you up otherwise.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought that newer versions of Android allowed you to choose which permissions to grant to an app when you installed it, no?

Certainly, on iOS, an app doesn’t get any permissions unless you grant them to it.

The snag on both being that if an app has been given network access, then any embedded advertising code can do its stuff, but I suppose that’s the price we pay for “free”.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I thought that newer versions of Android allowed you to choose which permissions to grant to an app when you installed it, no?"

No, for a while you've had the ability to allow or not allow when an app first tries to use a permission but not on install (e.g. If you are about to share a photo from a camera app then Android will ask you if you give permission for the app to access your contacts). You can turn permissions off for any or all apps at any one time.

3. Adam 1

Android 6+ changed the permissions model from an all you can eat buffet to an ask on first use. Basically the same as iOS. That is definitely a good start. Could it be improved? Well a guess you could add a preemptive decline feature (seems to be what you're looking for). I can't see why they can't allow mock virtualized data points. App wants location? Why not let me choose an answer from Google maps to tell that app whenever it asks. App wants contacts? Let me pass it a fake address book. App wants access to file system. Let me pass it a virtualized version safe in their sandbox.

Tbh, the biggest failings with android permissions is the fact that so many phones are still sold with Android 5 and will never see an update.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I disagree with mock data points. Some apps actually have a serious use and so have completely unreliable data may make it useless. I know it is possible to subvert the data so you can never guarantee it is 100% accurate but if it is easy to send fake data then it can make it meaningless.

The blocking of access is fine - you don't trust the app you don't allow permission. The app won't run without that permission (and it is an optional permission and not a core component) then don't use the app it can't be trusted.

The more the developer sees it not being used because it requires your exact location, the less chance they will keep that requirement and the less of it will happen in the future.

1. Diogenes

I have no use case for using what Samsung insists I allow Gallery to use, location and contacts, and it will not work at all unless I give those 2 permission(which is why I now use other apps). As long as I know where I took the photo, and the only person I share with is me...

I also have no idea why google home needs location turned on when all I am trying to do is cast my tablet to the TV , and both devices are on the same WIFI

2. Adam 1

We possibly have a disagreement about what correct behaviour is. If the app developer of a map application says it wants GPS, that is so the find me function works. If I configure **my** device to return nonsensical data, then I will expect the find me function to do weird things. If I give it real data, it will work as per the app developer's intention. If I reject the permission, it will probably crash. Not necessarily because they believe their application is pointless without it, but because most languages have really clunky handling of monads and it never occurred to the developer to check what happens if an exception is thrown or check the error code that got returned. In other cases, the app developer just can't be arsed to structure their code in a way that would minimise the required permissions. In other cases, the permission model itself is not fine grained enough (particularly around file and media access). The developer may want a very small subset of the permissions mentioned on the token, but you need to grant or reject the lot.

6. 0laf
    Big Brother

Except for Google. Because that's good snooping which you will want.

But they'll try to stop the bad snooping, unless it makes money then it's good snooping.

Just ask Amber Rudd she'll tell you why you don't need to worry. She can make the electric magic only do nice things that Amber wants. And everything Amber wants is nice.

If you disagree you must be bad and you'll be taken away

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quite literally every single app on my phone wants this information. I highly doubt that will change.

1. Aitor 1

Use a Xiaomi phone

One alternative is to use a Xiaomi phone with Gapps.

Now, only Xiaomi and google will collect your information, and that means plenty of battery saved.

Of course, your information is not safe, as these two companies still spy on you, but at least you can prevent the rest from spying quite a bit.

1. JohnFen

Re: Use a Xiaomi phone

And if you avoid having gapps installed, you can even reduce the number of spies to one. Or, better yet, get a phone that you can install a ROM onto, then use a vanilla Android ROM without gapps. Install a firewall, and you're about as safe as you can get.

1. Charles 9

Re: Use a Xiaomi phone

Until you need to use a root- or custom-aware app with no substitutes. Then you're in Take It Or Leave It territory.

8. Kevin Johnston

Standards?

So, how much of this is down to sloppy coding standards and how much to opportunists?

I wanted a spirit level app so had a look at the various offerings and most of them wanted 'Access all Areas' permissions. Now I can understand some developers trying it on but that seemed more like the SDK throws in some basic headers which request full access and you are expected to trim it to what you actually need.

Maybe an app dev can enlighten me here?

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Standards?

Too some extent it is laziness - on both the develope and the user (not protesting/boycotting). I would be inclined to begin with the incompetence vs malicio9us intent - at least until shown otherwise. It does not take much effort from a developer to not require these.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

It actually takes effort to include the modules, which means it is definitely intentional in behalf of the Devs.

1. Charles 9

So there's a module for EACH individual permission that you MUST include for it to request that permission? Or it simply a few large modules that ask for a bunch of them at a time?

9. DropBear
    Alert

Anyone opposed to slurping is welcome to support noyb.eu - as sad as it is, considering privacy concern awareness is unlikely to ever be higher than it is now, it looks like they need every single penny they can get (or should I say Euro-cent?)...

1. RyokuMas
      FAIL

... because anyone who cares about privacy is clearly not a good little consumer, ready to whore themselves at the altar of their corporate overlords... right?

1. DropBear

That was an honest suggestion, not a sarcastic dismissal of the problem. Sorry if it came off as one.

1. Charles 9

The point is, the sheep outNUMBER us AND they outPAY us. Most aren't even interested in privacy given the prevalence of Facebook and so on. It's practically a case of You Can't Fix Stupid, only the stupid are dragging everyone else down with them.

About the only way to fix this would be to require a license to use a computer, meaning a license to use something that's in the privacy of one's home. So it's a dilemma: either Big Brother watches over us or Joe Stupid drags us all down into the handbasket.

10. ukgnome

Hmmm

Does this mean that Google have all the info they need now?

11. Mahhn

Stoogle

Google is the company that has served thousands of malicious apps on their play store, still does, refuses to notify users even when a malicious app has been removed from the store, so that people will still be infected. And they are now threatening some of the malicious apps to play nicerer or what? going to remove them, but won't fucking tell anyone they've been infected.

Google play store is like a Dr Office that is more likely to make you sick than anything else.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self control

This is the crap world we built; demanding "free apps" and apps for everything. Yet the world is not free, nor is it void of people who are void of morals or smarts on both sides of the equation. To the uninformed user, I say sorry that you did not know better. To the informed user that participates and bitches about it, I say tough. To the informed user that participates and hides their head in the sand, I say Hello Brother, and I wish we had enough self control to just walk away.

1. Charles 9

Re: Self control

It's not just that. Those who aren't enlightened are dragging the rest of us down with them, and there's practically no way to avoid it anymore. Even if we tried to hide in the mountains, the government has land-survey satellites now, complete with infrared imaging.

13. Jamie Jones Silver badge

This will affect 99.999% of apps out there

I'm constantly blocking their shit in my firewall, and also removing privs/events as I see fit.

It's ridiculous. Just yesterday, I *bought* an app, from a well known reputable company, with no adverts, yet it still tried to phone home with my exact location.

A number of apps will even leave a little monitoring program running permanently, whether you use the app or not. How arrogant is that?

1. Richocet

Re: This will affect 99.999% of apps out there

This.

Apps you pay good money for can be rampant spies.

Then you are faced with the ultimatum to allow it access to excessive un-needed info or else the app will spitefully refuse to operate.

But you have paid and can't get that money back.

14. GcdJ

No Mention of banning locaiton data

Under GDPR location data is also classed as personal data

It only takes 4 location data points to uniquely identify any phone/user.

Regards

Geoff

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: No Mention of banning locaiton data

Even worse, they classify "location data" to include GPS etc. if they can.

A while ago I saw my exaction location be sent off to some random ad company.. If you threw a grenade at the coordinates given, you'd blow up my sofa...

15. sloshnmosh

Stoogle

I tried in vain for over 8 months to report an "antivirus" app that was tricking users into installing their app through the use of fake virus warnings that were served up through hijacked Facebook links every single day for over 2 years straight and got absolutely NOWHERE!

The app in question is using the Facebook Graph API to access a users Facebook account and the advertising SDK would use the "showSource" command to view a webpages HTML source and inject javascript that made the users phone vibrate with a full screen warning designed to appear as an internal warning from Google that your device was "infected" and linked to the app on the Google play Store.

The relatively unknown app developer only has two apps, an "antivirus" app and a battery saving app yet it's company is now valued at well over $200 Million US.

I took over 200 screenshots of users complaining about the fake virus warnings on the Play store reviews and forwarded them all to multiple Google reps and supervisors and nothing was ever done about it.

Re: Stoogle

What's it called?

Try submitting it here: http://androidblacklist.org

16. sloshnmosh

Android Blacklist

Thanks!

Does Android Blacklist actually take action against an app/developer or is it just a reference site for the few Android users that actually care about what is installed on their device(s)?

Re: Android Blacklist

I don't think they take action - it's quite a new site. Though, I feel the more people support it, the more important it will get.

I'd like to see them form some kind of action group in the future - in the meantime, I just hope to spread the word. I've got quite a few for them, but I've gathered them into a new category, and just have a bit more sorting out before I submit.. Hopefully they will be accepted!

cheers

17. sloshnmosh

Android Blacklist

@Jamie Jones: I went ahead and gave the info regarding the app to the Android Blacklist. Thanks again!

18. Kiwi

I'm surprised

"

...Google's Unwanted Software Policy...
    "

I knew they had an internal policy about unwanted software, but I never thought they'd go public about how their foisting their garbage on the rest of us is actually policiy!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like