back to article AI hype surge numbers, robo-radiologists, Apple voxels, and lots more

Here's a human-compiled, totally non-robot generated summary of AI news beyond what we've already reported the past month week. By the way, your humble Reg vulture will be at the machine-learning super-conference NIPS in LA next week – please do email in if you want to say hi, or point out any hot talks or gossip. AI Index – …

1. Quotes

Huuman Err

ONXX or ONNX?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Huuman Err

GONK

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Huuman Err

Maybe RANX?

"Ranx! RAANX!" (Robot fist demolishes human jaw.)

Btw I found out that Manning now has "Deep Learning and the Game of Go" in its catalogue. AI truly has arrived.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wake me up when....

AI or ML has something genuinely useful to show.

Yours faithfully,

Rip Van Winkle

1. el kabong

Re: Wake me up when....

You just missed it, too late.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose being able to predict future caseloads for a hospital clinic broken down into predictions of conditions/diseases to be seen might qualify as being useful ML. Of course it took days to run since it retrained itself from scratch each time it was run but it was extremely prescient, p <= 0.01. Going back and looking at the demographics I was dealing with I shouldn't have been so surprised. I was hoping for p <= .10 or even p <= 0.05 as either would be acceptible in this context.

If, and that's a huge if, someone lent me the data and time on something better than I have here (which is really very good for personal use) I'd give it another go. God knows I have the time. Scaling with parallel processing, yeehaw!

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Terminator

Wakey Wakey.

As said earlier:

In https://spectrum.ieee.org/robotics/artificial-intelligence

we find:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/static/ai-vs-doctors

3. FlamingDeath Silver badge

I've seen this before

Much like the Spacerace being about m̶i̶l̶i̶t̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶t̶e̶g̶i̶c̶ ̶o̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ exploration, this Ai revolution is going to be about helping people with s̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶ search and rescue robots / drones

I'm no luddite, but our value system is all fucked up. This is not going to end well

Once upon a time, the strength of a nation was only as strong as the will of its people.

That is not going to be the case for much longer.

If the elite could get rid of the population and still have all of their perks, do you think they would?

If you think we have inequality now, just wait until this AI revolution goes exponential...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: I've seen this before

If the elite could get rid of the population and still have all of their perks, do you think they would?

As predicted by Asimov. The elites (just a few) lived their lives in almost total physical isolation with all their needs taken care of by Robots.

Probalby only need around 10K people for the whole planet.

For most of us, we are no nonger needed and are surplus to requirements. When the elites decide that it is time, we, the plebs will be truly doomed.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Terminator

That November 2017 AI Index is of some interest.

Bizzaredly, there is a chapter about the performance of SAT solvers, which strikes me as "not AI". SAT solving is as AI as Graphics Processing (didja know that Eclipse plugin dependency resolution is done using the jSAT library? It's true! )

The layout is also following the annoying "tradition" of plastering random text outtakes is LARGE FONT AND DOUBLE SPACING into the middle of text. Presumably to inflate the number of pages of the report, or to be noticeable to short-attention-span readers?

You also get an empty-headed robostatement by Tim Cook about the importance of The Humanities, the need for diversity, roboethics... blah blah blah.

Michael Woolridge of Oxford has this to say on page 66:

The AI Index report makes for fascinating reading, from my perspective as an AI researcher, as Head of Department of Computer Science at the University of Oxford, and also as someone has served as president of the International Joint Conference on AI (http://www.ijcai.org/), and as president of the European Association for AI (http://www.eurai.org/). The report presents compelling and comprehensive evidence that on a range of fronts, AI techniques are making steady progress on core problems that have been associated with AI since its earliest days (game playing, machine translation, theorem proving, question answering, and so on); in many of these, AI is already at or above the accepted level of human expertise. The report also provides pretty clear evidence – as if evidence were really needed – that AI is attracting the attention of students and industry, with admissions exploding on AI courses, and a huge growth in AI startup companies.

There is, clearly, an AI bubble at present; the question that this report raises for me is whether this bubble will burst (cf. the dot com boom of 1996-2001), or gently deflate; and when this happens, what will be left behind? My great fear is that we will see another AI winter, prompted by disillusion following the massive speculative investment that we are witnessing right now. There are plenty of charlatans and snake oil salesmen out there, who are quite happy to sell whatever they happen to be doing as AI, and it is a source of great personal frustration that the press are happy to give airtime to views on AI that I consider to be ill-informed at best, lunatic fringe at worst (for a good recent example, see:

http://tinyurl.com/y9g74kkr).

However, while I think some deflation of the current bubble is inevitable within the next few years, I think there is cause for hope that it will be a dignified and gentle deflation, rather than a spectacular bust. The main reason for this is that, as the AI Index clearly demonstrates, AI is delivering on competence....

Which I think is exactly right.

CYC doesn't even get a mention in the report ... CYC transit! But then again, neither does Prolog or logic programming. WTF!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like