back to article Max Schrems launches privacy NGO, wins €60k within first 24 hours

Austrian privacy activist Max Schrems is crowdfunding a nonprofit that will bring consumer privacy cases to court in a bid to enforce European data protection laws. The non-governmental organisation, called NOYB, for None of Your Business, was launched yesterday and has already raised almost €60,000. Schrems – famed for …

1. m0rt

Good luck to him and NOYB. (Great name btw). Impressed with his determination so far.

1. Semtex451
      Pint

Agreed

Prost Max

2. }{amis}{
    Pint

Beer

A evenings beer token's donated, I wish him well and look forward to the chaos he will be causing in silicone valley.

1. IrishFella

Re: Beer

Took your initiative and gave him a bit more than beer money. Good man yourself Schrem, keep it up!!

3. wolfetone Silver badge
    Pint

With all the free pints he'll get from El Reg tonight, he'll be pissed well in to Christmas and beyond.

But he deserves it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pay in BitCoin ?

just asking ?

1. IneptAdept

Re: Pay in BitCoin ?

http://noyb.eu/support

Indeed you can

5. sjiveson

No SSL/TLS

Come on. No HTTPS support for the website.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good, but

Stop using assets from third party sites including fonts from google and all the other tracking shit on there.

A font is just a few KB, stick it on your bloody server FFS and dump the crap.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Contacting the Regulator that overseas Facebook

What follows is pretty typical... If you push harder, the replies just get more defensive. The EU needs to own this process (see links).

======

#1. Question: My account was originally set-up inside the EU but I now live outside. What data protection law applies? I tried to contact Facebook but got nowhere but I'd appreciate an independent answer anyway.

"Response to Question 1: Facebook, have a section in their Privacy Policy called “How to contact Facebook with questions”. I would advise you to read through this section."

======

#2. Question: The Max Schrems case highlighted how Facebook never delete data including photos. I've noticed repeatedly that Facebook 'undeletes' timeline posts from at long as 10 years ago? Plus, none of this info appears in the Download-your-data- option either. How are you confirming Facebook actually deletes data?

"Response to Question 2: With regard to problems you may be experiencing with the operation of Facebook. You will need to contact Facebook first."

======

#3.

https://qz.com/162791/how-a-bureaucrat-in-a-struggling-country-at-the-edge-of-europe-found-himself-safeguarding-the-worlds-data/

https://qz.com/993995/how-facebooks-fb-sheryl-sandberg-personally-lobbied-irish-prime-minister-enda-kenny-as-shown-by-2014-emails-published-in-the-irish-independent/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like