back to article That $10,000 Facebook bug: Photos shafted, addicts screwed by polls

A security researcher found a way to delete any picture on Facebook, irrespective of whether it's public or private, by cunning use of polls. Pouya Daribi was digging around in the software used by Facebook users to set up quick opinion polls on their profile pages. When creating these informal surveys, the social media …

1. doug_bostrom

Helping Facebook is antisocial.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Simpler solution

Shut it down for stealing personal information, lying about that theft, being a walled garden, illegal tracking and breaking multiple EU laws everyday.

It provides nothing that can't be done safer and better using email and a free blog.

1. FuzzyWuzzys

Re: Simpler solution

Couldn't agree more but the words that define Facebook and how it makes money are "captive audience". Ask anyone running a business, no matter how small, if they'd like access to a potential captive audience of 1.5 billion and most will jump at it.

Facebook has nothing to do with people being social, it's all about having a captive audience for anyone with an axe to grind or a product to sell.

1. Deltics
        Joke

That sounds impressive, especially when wrapped up in the spiel that I'm sure the sales reps from Facebook's advertising division use.

But if you want access to a large, captive market all you have to do is incorporate on this little planet called Earth. A thoroughly captive potential market of 7.4 billion !! Read it and weep Zuckerberg!

2. Elmer Phud

my email was on a Yahoo! server . . .

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can keep

their 10k, as long as it means I don't have to interact with any of the fuck wits using it.

I HAD friends who I haven't spoken with for a couple of years now as they use facebook for ALL their communication. As they don't bother to contact me outside of FB, I can only conclude they were friends who were ultimately not worth bothering with.

Their loss.

1. Deltics
      Coat

Re: They can keep

Presumably they reached that conclusion about you some time ago. ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Deltics: Re: They can keep

Then my point is still just as valid.

NB Up voted for having wit (you wont hurt my feelings as I have none) and for having the cojones not to hide behind an anonymous handle. At least I know who to "add to the list". ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like