back to article Ed Vaizey is right, Matt Hancock hasn't improved broadband

For all digital minister Matt Hancock's rhetoric about 'full-fibre' investment, Blighty's digital infrastructure still remains unchanged. In the budget yesterday, yet more announcements were made about 5G and full-fibre broadband. However, according to insiders the £400m for fibre funding, announced in the autumn statement …

1. Alistair Dabbs

Better or worse?

"I don't think Hancock has done any better or worse than I would have done,"

He certainly could not have done any worse. I was running a publishing company in Hoxton under Hancock's watch. Barely a stone's throw from Shoreditch High Street, all 60+ businesses on our site were running off 4Mbit modems, because BT Openreach was quoting us £3,000-£10,000 FOR EACH BUSINESS to attach 1.5 metres of cable from the pavement to our wall.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better or worse?

@Alistair Dabbs,

a bit sickening that things are still that bad. I was in a similar boat some time back. The £3-10k installation fees are for leased line, which is typically a dedicated Fibre link that has to be be ran back to the exchange, and would probably be 1.5 miles (not metres), hence the cost.. What I did was get some other local businesses (on the same estate) together and we shared a 1GB link.

Also for anybody else in this boat, I'd highly recommend giving Virgin a call, they do (or at least did) the installation for free (including digging roads up!), as long as the total install cost was < £10k.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Better or worse?

I was running a publishing company in Hoxton under Hancock's watch. Barely a stone's throw from Shoreditch High Street, all 60+ businesses on our site were running off 4Mbit modems

I thought you had been around long enough to have not fallen for the hype and be suckered into Silicon-Roundabout...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The purpose of smart meter revealed at last!

And that is simply to be the lower benchmark of bungled schemes, thus showing everything else in some (relatively) better light. Well, that's how politicians and civil servants see it.

A bit like Jeremy Hunt being kept in Cabinet, so that he can be sacrificed at some suitable juncture, and supposedly insulate the PM from any accountability for the mismanagement of the health service.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Well he certainly seems to know a lot about being involved in some s**t programmes.

But is "Rural broad band was not as s**t a programme as smart meters" really saying very much?

And let's be honest, what we'd like to know is if he's learned anything at all about not making a s**t project in the first place?

My guess is, not much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like