back to article Microsoft reprieves CodePlex users – you're doomed next week

Even a turkey can get a reprieve: Microsoft's CodePlex shut-down date has run late, but is still imminent. In March, Redmond announced it would put its collaborative software repository out of its misery. Its intent was to put the site into read-only mode during October, ahead of a December 15 shut-down. That timetable seems …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame to see them go...

I know that Github is the better choice and that the whole idea was somewhat futile because it's hard to visualize open source in combination with Microsoft and/or Microsoft environments. Even so... It does exist.

Alas, they didn't have much of an impact but I still think it's a shame to see 'm go. Because with these things more is always better. And a little competition usually brings out the best in the competitors.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"And a little competition usually brings out the best in the competitors."

Which explains why Microsoft are its been so keen to kill any of its competitors in the past.

So what features about CodePlex made it worth using?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So what features about CodePlex made it worth using?"

The same could be asked of Bing, or Edge, or Skype, or anything from Microsoft these days honestly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another 'Me too' venture by Microsoft failing

I am reminded of Silverlight, So.cl and Kinect.

Nevertheless, Microsoft has a mountain of cash to burn through, so please do keep 'innovating' Microsoft. I find it highly entertaining.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like