back to article UK.gov to chuck an extra £2.3bn at R&D ahead of Budget

The government has announced an extra £2.3bn in research and development investment by 2021/22, ahead of the Budget this week. That will bring the annual total to £12.5bn. The government says that figure is set to increase to 2.4 per cent of GDP on projects by 2027 – with most of that figure provided by private sector …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It will also set aside £1.7bn for "transport links and local growth", including £250m for better transport in the West Midlands the so-called "Midlands Engine".

I hope this has been better thought out than the "Northern Powerhouse" equivalent which seems to have assumed overhead electrification could be installed without checking if the tunnels had enough headroom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

seems to have assumed overhead electrification could be installed without checking if the tunnels had enough headroom.

Not a new problem, and there are known solutions.

Then again, they could have done like SNCF in France and ordered 300+ new trains - that turned out to be a few cm too wide for the platform gauge. It's costing 50million euros to take an angle grinder to shave a bit off 1300 platforms...

2. codejunky Silver badge

@ Doctor Syntax

"I hope this has been better thought out"

I cant imagine this time will be much better this time around. But of course we can all hope.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Am I being cynical

In thinking this will mostly be Google/Microsoft/Apple getting a tax break for all the "research and development" its developers do in the UK rather than any actual funding for anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I being cynical

No. It's for Grant Shapps's pension.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"for increased public funding as part of a new industrial strategy."

Which implies the current UKG has an existing industrial strategy?

Have people spotted this in the wild?

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A Suitable Case for Investment Treatment

Regarding a Grand Challenge with particular and peculiar regard to AI and data, it is not the case that there are no vessels for steering. The problem that may exist for government systems though, is that it may not be for commandeering.

Failure to engage with what the future holds to deliver though, is not a SMARTR Option, is it? Indeed, in deed, it is surely designedly moronic.

Please be advised as to the following ...... Conservative Renewal?

5. strum

Promises, promises

>The government says that figure is set to increase to 2.4 per cent of GDP on projects by 2027 – with most of that figure provided by private sector spending

So - how does government get to make such promises? If the private sector doesn't do it (and they don't have a good record), who's going to make them?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon