back to article Silverlight extinguished while Angular wins fans among developers

Developers are done with Microsoft's Silverlight and Apache Flex, but they've been entranced by Android Studio, the Swift programming language, and Angular, a JavaScript framework. Coding community site Stack Overflow on Monday plans to publish details about which technologies have seen the greatest surge and the most …

1. DJV Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I'm always surprised that...

...Brainfuck isn't number one!

2. Trollslayer
    Flame

The keyword that counts

"Trendy".

3. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Nominative determinism?

In this case, interest, according to data scientist Julia Silge

I think we know which data science language she prefers...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nominative determinism?

I got very tempted to describe a Silge programming language on Wikipedia just to make the joke worse :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or to look at things a different way...

If something has a low number of questions on Stack Overflow, couldn't that just mean it's well documented and not bug-ridden?

1. ThomH

Re: Or to look at things a different way...

I think you're overestimating the larger part of developers. Why bother reading the documentation when you can just throw some approximate words into a search box and find some code to copy and paste?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Nailed it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> couldn't that just mean it's well documented and not bug-ridden?

My thoughts, and I'll add: or just not "trendy".

Incidentally, when I am googling something up I make it a point to skip all the stack overflow results (often the full first page), finding that bug reports/discussions in code repositories (Github, Gitlab) usually give answers that are more:

* authoritative

* up to date

* correct

Also: "googling up" (like that in lowercase, to annoy Alphabet Inc.) for technical answers is often done via DuckDuckGo or Qwant, which seem to assign less weight to Stack overflow than their main competitor.

Not to mention, because stack overflow is an English-language site, it can only see what is going on primarily in the West plus India (or India plus the West), notably failing to reliably capture activity on the increasing number of home-grown technologies coming from China (take Vue.js as a random example).

5. steward
    Boffin

Interest is biased towards new technologies

"interest, according to data scientist Julia Silge, is measured by Stack Overflow tags – labels or keywords submitted with questions posted to the community site to associate queries with particular topics."

Older technologies already have the questions asked and answered. Measurements like these explain the continuing popularity of VBA and VB.NET, and COBOL, despite the announcements of their respective imminent deaths - because most of the questions have already been posted on Stack Overflow, and answered.

Newer technologies have many questions to be posed and answered; thus, there are more questions posted to the community. That will always be the case for any newer technology.

A more accurate metric would be to look at what information has been researched on Stack Overflow. If someone finds the answer, they're hardly going to ask it again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interest is biased towards new technologies

Create your wacky religion, ask a few friends (while drunk) to join. Bingo, growth rates in triple percentage points.

You've just created the fastest growing religion in the world.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

And as any fule kno, 58.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Joke

"...as any fule kno, 58.7% of statistics are made up on the spot..."

FFS, it's 58.6%. You utterly incompetent, dribbling imbecile.

2. MrNed
      Joke

Three statisticians go on a duck shoot. A bird goes up - the first statistician raises his gun and shoots, but alas the shot is 50cm too high and so he misses. The second statistician has a go, but he shoots 50cm too low and so also misses. The third statistician puts down his gun and says "we got it".

1. Adam 1

Q. How can you tell the difference between an introverted statistician and an extraverted one?

A. The extravert will be the one starting at the other's shoes.

7. breakfast Silver badge

Or M?

If my work is anything to go by I think ORM is just a standard thing now for most people, so it may not get separated out from other areas as much as it did. Also with object store type databases, the need to map objects to relational data becomes more limited.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Or M?

What?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Or M?

That should be 'Q or M?' and the context should be "What's James Bond's fav co-worker?" The answer is, of course, Moneypenny.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

No idea what some of those things are

And judging by the very transient nature of some of these "Next big things, honest" I doubt I will have the time to become aware of them before they start to decline.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: No idea what some of those things are

And I thought it was just me.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

And I thought it was just me.

Not at all.

All major players have spun up something that they have claimed will be "The next big thing, honest" and it's gone nowhere.

I think MS is the one that was most willing to do so simply to destroy a competitor and preserve it's not-a-monopoly-other-OS's-are-available market.

Some will rise, some will rise as the preferred way to access the environment that drove their creation (EG Android today, SAP or Oracle yesterday) and some will curl up in a ball in the corner and die. Maybe the implementation of their ideas was rubbish, maybe the ideas were just not that big an advance over what you can get already, maybe they were but the learning curve was just too big to go there for the benefits (the old HP calculator story. RPN is great if you were prepared to swallow the learning curve, and many weren't).

9. Adam 1

entranced??

> but they've been entranced by Android Studio, the Swift programming language, and Angular, a JavaScript framework.

I'm not sure entranced is the right verb. These things are (almost) unavoidable if you want to deliver to an Android or A☐Thing or if you need a responsive web UI just to make js nearly tolerable. It's kind of like saying that car makers are entranced with creating both LHD and RHD versions of their cars. It'd save them a fair whack of coin if they didn't, but they have to do it to sell in different markets for both regulation and customer preference reasons.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like