back to article Google, Volkswagen spin up quantum computing partnership

Google's quantum computer isn't much more than a science project at this stage, but Volkswagen is hitching a ride anyway. At the Web Summit conference in Europe yesterday, VW announced it inked a deal with the Chocolate Factory, in which they will work together on quantum applications in traffic management, and battery …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I'm beset by doubts

I don't see where the few-qubit computer from D-Wave comes into the "traffic optimization" problem, which can be solved nicely using any of a large library of optimization algorithms, among which simulated annealing. On mid-sized classical computers.

Has anyone from the theoretical IT crowd looked at these claims?

2. Milton

Uh oh

This could bring great things, but based on the track record of the companies involved, this will boil down to a quantum computer that really isn't, hyped with a mountain of fluff and weasel words, backed by a marketing campaign to convince punters that there is, in fact, a quantum witch behind the curtain of flashing LEDs. Google will take care of begging, borrowing or stealing the data required to feed the system and exploit victi—, sorry, customers, and VW can handle faking the results to help them sell cars (whether this ultimately kills people or not, so long as it makes money).

And if that sounds cynical, consider Don't Be Evil's history with data, and VW's with a massive fraud designed to help them sell excessively noxious cars that have contributed to pollution deaths across the world.

The fact that quantum computing, right now, is amusingly both there and not there, just adds to the worry that we're about to be victims of another cloudy, AI-type hype-avalanche.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uh oh

<quote>

with a massive fraud designed to help them sell excessively noxious cars that have contributed to pollution deaths across the world.

</quote>

Available from other manufacturers also (as they say on Loose Women!!)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Uh oh

excessively noxious cars that have contributed to pollution deaths across the world.

It's called a "diesel" and saying these "contributed to pollution deaths" is pure politicial theater (sadly not punishable by flogging of dumb politicians and churnalists) *completely* ignoring the professional diesel engines from portable to ship size blowing cancer up any city dweller's nostrils.

Enjoy your machine civilization.

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

For VW … quantum computers aren't yet ready for real-world use

Oh, I don't know.

Q: Are your vehicles legitimate, or are you fiddling the emissions test?

A: Yes and no.

4. BrownishMonstr

I'm quite surprised they're working together. I used to work in Bentley, owned by VW group, and a colleague told me of a story where some VW executives/people had a meeting with a Google executive (supposedly one of the founders). The Google executive was wearing jeans and when the VW security had one look they kicked him out. When The VW executives realised this they had to beg for him to come back. Needless to say, whatever it was VW wanted Google didn't care in the slightest.

Of course, take with a pinch of salt. "A colleague told me that someone told him that..." could very well be Chinese whispers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like