back to article Parity calamity! Wallet code bug destroys $280m in Ethereum

There's a lot of hair-pulling among Ethereum alt-coin hoarders today – after a programming blunder in Parity's wallet software let one person bin $280m of the digital currency belonging to scores of strangers, probably permanently. Parity, which was set up by Ethereum core developer Gavin Woods, admitted today that a user …

Page:

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The user name is devops

I guess we are seeing nominative determinism at work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

This is when I know I'm getting old...

The following devices in my house have received software updates:

1. My computer, my phone, my tablet, my router: these, I accept. They are obviously computers.

2. My TV, a pair of speakers: now this starting to get a bit silly.

3. My wall socket timers, my thermostat: really? Has the nature of time and temperature drastically changed?

4. My drum kit: ok, it's far more talented than I am, and doesn't actually need me to play: but still... complex...

But now... to top it all... money needs a software update. Money. Jesus Christ! I'm sorry, but either we're all fucked, or I'm too old. I hope the latter, but suspect the former.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is when I know I'm getting old...

anything that can be programmed can be so in a good way or in a bad way. Programmable money: sorry, not for me and no, even though I have seen the rise and fall of the 5,25" floppy disk, I don't consider myself old.

1. Loud Speaker

even though I have seen the rise and fall of the 5,25" floppy disk, I don't consider myself old.

Old is when you remember the invention of the 8" floppy.

I remember when money was contaminated with Cocaine - not sure if that makes me old!

1. herman

"Old is when you remember the invention of the 8" floppy."

Hah, kids, these days - bring me my Winchester... no, not the 38-40!

1. Scroticus Canis
            Happy

Re: "bring me my Winchester"

Yep, remember when they first came out - a whole 5MB. Replaced one of the two 8" floppy drives in the SuperBrain microcomputers (running CPM and CIS COBOL apps); made the world of difference to program response times (COBOL code overlays). Still needed one floppy for data comms back-up* when the acoustic-coupler modems wouldn't work**. My first distributed system :)

* - stiff envelope and in the mail

** - had to write my own transmission checking and error correcting code; even with that sometimes the lines were just too noisy.

2. Mage Silver badge
          Windows

Re: TOld is when you remember the invention of the 8" floppy

Whippersnapper.

I remember coding forms.

Much later we had access to punched cards and only computer support staff handled the 1/2" tape reels. The 8" floppy was later, for reloading microcode on a cold boot. So were Winchesters.

1. Fluffy Cactus

No, the Winchester 73, from 1873 - definitely was before 8" floppies. I know because I am 198 years old,

and I exaggerate.

2. Hargrove

Hollerith cards, anyone?

3. Daniel Bower

I *can't* remember those days.. ;)

2. nijam Silver badge

> 5.25" floppy disk

I thought they used to be 8"?

(OK, cue a flood of yet older technologies from commentards.)

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

5,25" floppy disk

Pah! I spit on your modern, high-tech rubbish!

Everyone knows that paper tape is the proper medium for recording computer-device programmable logic on!

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Computer tape. Luxury. I remember when we had to carve the 0s and 1s on slate.

1. noodle heimer

Ay, but the irretrievable MTBF on that clay media was epic!

Also, epoch.

2. Surreal

Whippersnapper. When I was young, all we had were zeros. We had to beat them flat with a rock to make ones.

3. Aodhhan

You're still young.

I grew up using smoke signals for emails.

To code, we used finger paint on walls.

To archive, we carved into the back of tree bark and tied them together.

...and WE LIKED IT!!!!

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: we had to carve the 0s and 1s on slate.

You jest.

This is the first personal computer I used (at South Bank Poly):-

http://www.z80.eu/images/intellec8.jpg

Admittedly you only had to program in a JMP instruction to get it to run a PROM routine to accept input from a paper tape reader... which could then be used to load the Intel Assembler.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: we had to carve the 0s and 1s on slate.

I tried to find an image of the computer we had at school in the early 70s and failed. It was red, IBM and resembled one of their supermarket tills. It was programmed in numbers - none of yer high level languages. But it could do stuff, and we could write and debug programmes there and then. Otherwise we had to use special pencils on cards that were sent off in a pack to the university's computing centre and which came back with a result ( or more often an error) a week or two later..

2. Andrew Commons

Software defined money. That it's broken is no surprise because we cannot write software.

Thank god we don't have software defined networks, software defined infrastructure or software defined security because we would be royally screwed then.

1. vincent himpe

and some people want to tinker with the 'software' in the human brain....

i predict hordes of roaming braindamaged zombies roaming the earth ...

1. Sam Therapy

Something makes you think they aren't already?

3. lifetime security

For the last 40 years or so, money has been in software. They are in database transactions but still software .

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

For the last 40 years or so, money has been in software...

That's quantities of money; this is actual currency. Different.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's comforting to think that *our* own money is the real stuff.

But so long as you can spend it...

2. YARR
          Headmaster

A fool and his money...

That's quantities of money; this is actual currency. Different.

How different? The majority of money is numbers in a ledger (which has been electronic for the last 40+ years), cash is only a fraction of all money that exists: MB + M0 - M3 + MZM).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply

Value is more likely to be preserved if a currency has :

(1) Reliable ledgers.

(2) An entire nation / economy of workers who are contractually paid with that currency. (Who is obliged to accept bitcoin?)

(3) The issue of new currency (lending) is restricted to new assets that devalue slowly (not worthless used computer processing).

(4) New currency can be created according to demand. If supply of a currency is artificially restricted (like Bitcoin) or is tied to a rare asset (like gold), this can restrict lending and economic growth, causing people to switch to alternatives.

4. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

Except all cryptocurrencies are primarily anonymisation systems. They often are Ponzi schemes, speculative and aid criminal activities more than €500 notes.

They have a poor and elitist method to generate more "virtual coins".

Any connection to actual money is tenuous as they are more used as an anonymous alternative to IBAN or PayPal, or by speculators.

I'm tempted to do a Nelson impersonation. Ha! Ha!

Mines the one with a leather wallet containing EU physical tokens to replace barter and plastic cards for terminal or web based Electronic funds transfer.

The ONLY problem cryptocurrencies address is ANONYMOUS REMOTE funds transfer. The technology creates new problems (not scaleable, poor coin supply control, speculation like Tulips).

1. Random Q Hacker

Mage, most are not anonymous, as every transaction is recorded in the blockchain and known exchanges can be subpoenaed to obtain transaction records. As opposed to the many banks that laundered money for drug cartels and destroyed records becore being investigated.

The problem they solve is having all your money in the hands of the 1%, making them rich, and paying an arm and a leg for the privilege.

Systems like Bitcoin Cash are fast and scalable. Personally, I still appreciate real cash as well for true anonymity, though I suspect it will be harder and harder to make it counterfeit-resistant.

5. vincent himpe

in 1998 i had a Compaq monitor. A monitor! not a computer ! that needed a software update.

One morning we found that all blue was gone. Only the red and green channels worked. this was old school picture tube analog VGA 640x480. We unplugged the vga cable checking for a bent pin and replugged it. Nope. Blue was gone. Did some joker turn down the blue using the menu ?

Pulling up the on screen menu froze the monitor completely. The computers screen disappeared and the menu box was all garbled pixels.

Power cycle the monitor : all back to normal.

The little 8K cpu responsible for the control menu had locked up and turned down the blue gain. Trying to pull up the menu froze it completely. a cold start and we were back in business.

Seriously? It's already bad our computers can lock up. now we have to deal with crashing firmware in screens ?

6. Chemical Bob
      Flame

"But now... to top it all... money needs a software update."

Think of it as the digital equivalent of a fire.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Everything Needs An Update!

3. DNTP

EORN hash implementation successful

Encrypt Once Read Never- because something broke and now you can't!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EORN hash implementation successful

"Encrypt Once Read Never- because something broke and now you can't!"

ah ah. I remember a bloke, in a scientific computing lab, who was used to edit all his marvelous programs in Fortran with "vi -x", back on Unicos from Cray.

Turned up, with the first crypto wars, and the US forbidding shipping any crypto outside US, the function eventually got removed from Unicos.

He never got access back to his sources. Good riddance.

1. Natalie Gritpants

Re: EORN hash implementation successful

Odd that he couldn't access his source code and yet the compiler could. Or did the Fortran compiler have a decrypt-encrypted-source option that was compatible with vi?

4. Mark 110

Oh dear

I feel a snigger coming on. Imagine the Bitcoin price will halve tomorrow. Risk and all that.

Silly buggers trusting this shit.

1. Leedos

Re: Oh dear

It would expect the opposite. Ethereum tanks, Bitcoin climbs. Let's check back on Friday to see who's right.

1. dkerago

I think you'll find that this will cause Ethereum to rise in value.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think the author should change the end line of the article to

One Ethereum coin is right now worth about precisely fuck all.

2. emmanuel goldstein

Ethereum is the name of the decentralised platform. The value tokens for this platform are known as Ether, so it's more accurate to say "Ether tanks". The article itself seems a bit confused on this point too.

3. dkerago

It's Friday where I live and ... https://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-price/

2. MonkeyCee

"I feel a snigger coming on. Imagine the Bitcoin price will halve tomorrow. Risk and all that."

So despite this having exactly nothing to do with bitcoin, or any bitcoin wallets, or anything other than a particular multi sig wallets for ETH, it's apparently going to cause a massive crash. Even ETH had only a minor bump from this, while BTC seems to have not even been affected.

Now, as for silly buggers trusting wallet software that has already been compromised and had funds stolen (with an integer overflow attack) is a fair point. And I'm not quite sure how they managed this latest clusterfuck, but I expect it'll be another "coding for dummys" level error.

Oh, and there are plenty of ways to trade BTC. including the usual derivatives. If you're so sure that the price is going to tank, short it and make a killing. If you're sure enough to post you should be sure enough to trade.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

We never had this much trouble with Tulip Bulbs

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

We never had this much trouble with Tulip Bulbs

Indeed. And you can't eat an ethereum or bitcoin!

(Not that I'm suggesting that it's wise to eat tulip bulbs. Especially as eating one could quite well finish you off..)

1. Baldy1138

Not if it's Holland in 1944:

https://www.fluwel.com/eating-tulip-bulbs

5. frank ly

A tragedy?

"They then posted that they were looking for a job if anyone was hiring."

Or improvisational comedy?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A tragedy?

Definitely a comedy.

But I am undoubtedly alone in smirking and hoping that the locked down wallets have been made permanently inaccessible. Please, please let all that vapour-cash be snuffed! Please.

1. Richard Boyce

If your physical wallet got blown overboard into the sea, would you be happy if someone within earshot laughed and expressed the wish that all your capitalist vapour-paper be snuffed and permanently inaccessible?

1. Citizens untied

Who cares, they might, they might not. I bet it has a lot to do with why they were on the boat to witness it in the first place. Fellow tourist, may not. Aggrieved and oppressed crew member working slave wages to feed an extended family in the third world? Perhaps.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: A tragedy? @ Richard Boyce

If your physical wallet got blown overboard into the sea, would you be happy if someone within earshot laughed and expressed the wish that all your capitalist vapour-paper be snuffed and permanently inaccessible?

Not sure why you accrued a couple of downvotes, I'd like to point out it wasn't me!

Anyway, I wouldn't, but I don't think you can fairly compare the loss of physical cash with speculative blockchain currencies, with essentially fictitious values until (and if ever) converted into a real currency or other store of value, and I don't think that people can expect sympathy when playing with what are clearly unregulated investments, in volatile markets, with an unproven technology platform - all of which were true and obvious for all blockchain currencies before this latest snafu. This is nothing new - go back three and a half years to the Mt Gox disaster, when about $400m of bitcoins were stolen through a flawed exchange platform, with no comeback for the people who thought they were the rightful owners.

So, harsh and unsympathetic I may be, but I still laugh, and given the nature of blockchain currency investors, I don't think that any widows or orphans will be the losers from this latest blockchain screwup. And I would guess it won't be the last. There's at least five large blockchain currencies now, and over 700 others. Given that most of those will be crappy, me-too efforts, most will curl up and die, probably taking a lot of supposed value with them. I don't mind if people wish to speculate in those currencies, but it is very high risk, and they still won't get my sympathy when their millions turn to smoke.

I don't suppose you'll now join me in having a good laugh?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Real" currencies are speculative until you use them to buy food.

As to whom is deserving of sympathy, it is your privilege to judge strangers based on your favored stereotypes. Just remember that what goes around comes around.

1. Mark 110

Real currencies are guaranteed by governments. Who through good governance try and keep the value of them fairly predictable. Governments do things like insure your savings so if your bank goes bust you don't lose your money.

If a government starts to guarantee virtual currencies then problems like this story won't be a big issue.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like